Clocks.

Threads moved from Suggestions for suggestions that are likely, but are awaiting approval and implementation.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

gejyspa

Re: Clocks.

Postby gejyspa » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:09 pm

Vega wrote:
Doug R. wrote:I feel the opposite - it will hinder my role-play. If we implement clocks, does it take away my character's ability to always know the time? Will I have to start role-playing that I can't know the time without a clock? If I still rp that I know the time, will other players give start giving me crap for it? (OOC: Your character can't know the time, since there's no clock here).

I know this can be a little out of topic... But you've reminded me my father, when we were at the beach and asked him "what time is it?". He used to stand up, look at the sky, raise a hand and start counting moving it slowly to the west. So he said "it's around..." and we run to the clock and he always was right... or almost.

...which was cool, until you realized he wore a watch on that wrist...
EchoMan

Postby EchoMan » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:50 am

Accepted:

RP-items: Wrist watch (bracelet), (Clock on a chain (necklace)?)

Alarm clock, that will "highlight" your character at a set Cantr-time.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:37 pm

EchoMan wrote:Accepted:

Meh. My characters reserve the right to consider as retarded anyone that can't tell time without a watch :p
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
Vega

Postby Vega » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:32 pm

gejyspa wrote:
Vega wrote:
Doug R. wrote:I feel the opposite - it will hinder my role-play. If we implement clocks, does it take away my character's ability to always know the time? Will I have to start role-playing that I can't know the time without a clock? If I still rp that I know the time, will other players give start giving me crap for it? (OOC: Your character can't know the time, since there's no clock here).

I know this can be a little out of topic... But you've reminded me my father, when we were at the beach and asked him "what time is it?". He used to stand up, look at the sky, raise a hand and start counting moving it slowly to the west. So he said "it's around..." and we run to the clock and he always was right... or almost.

...which was cool, until you realized he wore a watch on that wrist...

No! He hasn't!
Quebec Lima Delta November
Something like a story
in vitro...

Postby in vitro... » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:24 pm

i can't imagine disagreeing more with Doug. i love the idea and looking forward to see this in game to start yelling OOCly at everyone using their built-in clock.
cantr się posypał
guilletierno

(not so) useless machine - hourglass

Postby guilletierno » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:46 am

an hourglass made with an hourglass frame (wood or iron) and windows glass

portable machine, produces 8 g of sand daily, need 8 grams of sand to produce it, as an automated project.

(i understand that actual code not allow a project whit a empty in and/or empty out of resources)
El vino viene cantando desde la tierra,
baja del cerro hecho agua,
y en una raíz se queda,
y sube por una camino que se llama enredadera,
parra, parrón, vid, mil hojas, verde sombra o como quieras.
viktor

Postby viktor » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:02 am

Doug R. wrote:

Meh. My characters reserve the right to consider as retarded anyone that can't tell time without a watch :p

likewise
but i do like the idea of implimenting watches and clocks for rp.. and the alarm clock idea sounds pretty damn good too... at least we can end people referencing with earth time...
HFrance

Postby HFrance » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:29 am

I like clock. And after 500 cantrian days, programmers may disable timing at game pages and provide only a hex code to offer to support or PD as reference. :P :P :P
Cantr II is a social simulator. What is not working is due a problem in the society.
Cantr is like Vegas - what happens in the game should be in the game.
"It's a virtual world, not a theme park!" (Richard Bartle)
EchoMan

Postby EchoMan » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:46 am

viktor wrote:
Doug R. wrote:

likewise
but i do like the idea of implimenting watches and clocks for rp.. and the alarm clock idea sounds pretty damn good too... at least we can end people referencing with earth time...

The wrist watch doesn't necessarily tell you the time, since the game already does. The alarm clock offers new functionality, and isn't necessarily a RP-item.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:13 pm

Indeed. My character NEEDS an alarm clock.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
*Wiro

Postby *Wiro » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:51 am

Do we want furniture clocks and wristwatches at all without the alarm function? That is such a low priority it is unlikely to happen ever.

Maybe I should open up a new poll. I'd be interested in adding a furniture clock (describable to fit your needs), hourglass, wristwatch and clock on a chain.
Read about my characters by following this link.
*Wiro

Postby *Wiro » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:25 pm

The accepted suggestions subforum tends to have the unfortunate side effect of being ignored. I'm interesting in implementing these but I still require feedback (see my previous post).

- Possible clocks would be fixed wooden clocks, wristwatches, hourglasses, clock on a chain etc.
- Alarm clocks should be considered a separate suggestion as it needs entirely new programming.
Kyriel

Postby Kyriel » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:40 pm

I'd generally see the alarm function as secondary to simply the existence of clocks. Most clocks in real life don't have an alarm function, after all.

As far as types of clothes? Grandfather clocks, wall clocks, clocks made from wood, clocks made from metal. Water clocks, sundials, large clocks that can be visible from outside (like Big Ben) attached to a building or otherwise.
*Wiro

Postby *Wiro » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:23 pm

I can't help but feel if this topic was in the main suggestions category it would be noticed, because I don't think most people look in accepted suggestions (or know about the "view new posts" page in the upper right corner of the forum). The different types of clocks should be described by players, but the different between fixed and portable and material types are up to everyone reading this to decide.
Marian

Postby Marian » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:46 pm

I've considered suggesting this several times, never realized there was an accepted topic.

Gold, silver, brass, wood, (resin?) and gem-studded wristwatches and pocketwatches for jewelry, with some nickel in there for the complicated bits. Grandfather clocks would be wood, glass, and nickel. Describable furniture, of course, and it couldn't actually be called a grandfather clock, of course. Hourglasses would be a nice RP item, just for flipping for dramatic emphasis. "You have eight hours to turn over your keys, my pretty!" :)

Tools would be soldiering iron, pliers, screwdriver?

Anyway, I hope this gets added soon. There's been many, many times when my char has been talking about the need to hurry and I've wished I could have them looking at or tapping their watch.

Return to “Likely Suggestions”