Increased visibility from tall structures

Threads moved from Suggestions for suggestions that are likely, but are awaiting approval and implementation.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

NaruShadow

Re: Lighthouse Idea

Postby NaruShadow » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:59 am

viktor wrote:awesome idea, side note, i'm kinda suprised that you see no map on location when standing on a harbour or landing stage.

That's the exact thought that lead my to this idea for the lighthouse.

@Echo: For that matter, the lighthouse is considered a building too. Would that mean that ProgD. would have to allow all buildings to display maps, or could they just do it with specific types of buildings? (i.e. Lighthouses, Harbours, etc.)

On a side note, this is my first suggestion to ever have completely positive feedback, lol. :D
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked in to jet engines... :P
Rusalka

Postby Rusalka » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:09 am

I like this thing a lot, and this also introduce the whole bunch of other items to be considered:

- Lighthouse
- Mast -climbing a mast could need one hour project, and then we could use the same mechanic for climbing any tree in the forrest - to have better view.
- Watchtower - something that could be an alternative for inland places.

I've been even thinking about changing the default map view on different terrain types eg. smaller in Forrest, bigger in Mountains.
Artur wrote:ja chce miec fabryke i czarnuchow w niej a nie dom z ogrodkiem kurna i nie zycze sobie zeby mnie ktos pouczal o graniu w cantr qrka
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:52 am

Oh, it would be awesome for mapmakers if you could climb a tree in a forest to get a batter look at your surroundings. It would be certainly worth an hour or two, and even the risk of falling and taking damage.
Not-so-sad panda
Kelli

Postby Kelli » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:48 am

SekoETC wrote:Oh, it would be awesome for mapmakers if you could climb a tree in a forest to get a batter look at your surroundings. It would be certainly worth an hour or two, and even the risk of falling and taking damage.

oooooooooh yes!!
Rusalka

Postby Rusalka » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:51 am

Yes, but I assume that the gain would be very little - like 120%, and the base visiblity reduced to 50% or something. You can't see a damn thing inside forest.

Please don't focus on falling, it could be added later.
Artur wrote:ja chce miec fabryke i czarnuchow w niej a nie dom z ogrodkiem kurna i nie zycze sobie zeby mnie ktos pouczal o graniu w cantr qrka
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:59 am

For now, I'd just concentrate on buildings. I'm not sure what ProgD has to say about it, but it sounds easy enough to define a rule that activates the map window in buildings with a specified sight radius (optimally taking optical instruments into account).

This would allow crow's nests (only buildable if a mast is present), towers (buildable either as extention of existing buildings or separately), tree houses/lookouts etc. and also allow adding a map window to harbours and lighthouses.
Ultimately it could also be applied to balloons and airships.
Pretty in pink.
Rusalka

Postby Rusalka » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:21 pm

Yes! So let's count this suggestion as code for optional map visibility and size, which can be assigned to any structure.

Are we ok with such result?
viktor

Postby viktor » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:28 pm

:O wow what a concept, because each place can be coded seprately for map size you can reduce it as far as wanted for being inside most buildings, i wonder if this would make adding a window give you the normal view again like standing in town, just a thought.

tree houses allowed only in forests, cool idea
hmmm now an airship is awesome, you can redesign and rename the helicopter engine to be the propeller at the back can only dock to a town (a smaller balloon should be also dockable to the 4 large ships), much cloth and raw gas to make the floaty part, ropes and wood, needs fuel to run the engine, moves at walking speed without fuel,.. neways

giving this ability to lighthouses to have extended range of sight, and possibly a few other new extended range buildings, gives new unique places for eccentrics to live in
madfish

Postby madfish » Thu May 19, 2011 2:50 pm

But then if these things were to happen shouldn't people in mountainous locations be able to see altogether even further?
West is the new North!
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Thu May 19, 2011 3:01 pm

It would make sense, but usually there's nothing interesting close to mountains anyway.
Not-so-sad panda
madfish

Postby madfish » Thu May 19, 2011 3:43 pm

What I mean is IRL the amount you can see from the top of a tree is minuscule compared to what you can see from a mountain. So if treehouses let you see 110% mountains should let you see 300+.
West is the new North!
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Thu May 19, 2011 7:51 pm

If we're getting into elevated land structures, they should take into account the surrounding land. If you're on a mountain and surrounded by plains, yeah, 300%. If you're surrounded by mountains, 100% makes sense. If you're standing on a plain and surrounded by mountains (Pok), then you should only see about 33% of normal.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
Wolfsong

Postby Wolfsong » Fri May 20, 2011 1:35 am

Doug R. wrote:If we're getting into elevated land structures, they should take into account the surrounding land. If you're on a mountain and surrounded by plains, yeah, 300%. If you're surrounded by mountains, 100% makes sense. If you're standing on a plain and surrounded by mountains (Pok), then you should only see about 33% of normal.

+1
EchoMan

Re: Increased visibility from tall structures

Postby EchoMan » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:42 pm

Moved to accepted.

Return to “Likely Suggestions”