Wiki changes - new templates

Threads moved from Suggestions for suggestions that are likely, but are awaiting approval and implementation.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

EchoMan

Wiki changes - new templates

Postby EchoMan » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:49 pm

Tincho has made a few examples of a new template for resources. I think these new templates look good, and they also will be a bit more up to date, and offer more neat functionality, when creating info-boxes for resources. These could also work as a blueprint for all the other infoboxes too.

From the original post (some translated to/from Spanish):

translation wrote:I open this thread to consult all those who use the wiki and the ones that edited it (if any).

I spent some time editing pages in the wiki, I devoted mainly to articles of resources, I did plenty. But after much deny the pages I was convinced that more could be improved. Thus, recently finished a template for use in the articles of resources. I think it's much better than is currently using.

As I did not find spanish publishers within the wiki I decided to post something in the forum, and here I am.

This is the wiki page explaining the template (at the end of all are the examples):
http://wiki.cantr.net/index.php/Template_talk:Recurso

Since it would be a fairly major change for all items to the new template I ask that you give me your opinions about it. Whether if you only read the wiki or if you are an editor.

EchoMan wrote:Hi!

Thanks for all your good work on the wiki. :)

I have looked at your templates, and I agree they are much better. I would like to see them all over the wiki, and not only for Spanish articles. There are some minor things that we need to change though, like it should work with both ways of writing decimal numbers (1.5 and 1,5) and so on. I would also like resources that are not raws to be able to specify what skill is required for them, without them getting categorized as raws. But besides some of these technical details I think it looks very good.

I am going to start a thread in the English part of the forum for this too.

translate.google.com wrote:Hola!

Gracias por su buen trabajo en el wiki. :)

Yo he visto las plantillas, y estoy de acuerdo que son mucho mejor. Me gustaría verlos a todos en el wiki, y no sólo para los artículos en español. Hay algunas cosas de menor importancia que tenemos que cambiar si, como tiene que trabajar con ambas formas de escribir los números decimales (1.5 y 1,5) y así sucesivamente. También me gustaría recursos que no son raws para ser capaz de especificar qué habilidad se requiere para ellos, sin ellos conseguir la categoría de RAW. Pero, además de algunos de estos detalles técnicos creo que se ve muy bien.

Voy a iniciar un hilo en la parte de Inglés del foro para esto también.

Please note that changing stuff in the wiki is done by any interested player, and thus it doesn't affect the workload of our ProgD members. I only post this here to get input and ideas before work start on this.
Doug R.

Re: Wiki changes - new templates

Postby Doug R. » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:20 am

Well, I guess the only way I'd have a personal opinion on it would be to see a page side by side using the old and new template. Other than that, I can take your word for it that they're better.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
EchoMan

Postby EchoMan » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:27 am

By following the links above there are examples. But for ease I'll add one here:

Current article:
http://wiki.cantr.net/index.php/Bauxite

New template (just an example, numbers are not correct):
http://wiki.cantr.net/index.php/Cantr_I ... dbox/page2
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:39 pm

Well, it's hard to compare when they're in different languages. There seems to be less information in the new template, but I don't know if that's because information is missing, or if redundant information was removed. I like that there's a picture, but that's not necessarily unique to the new template, correct? It's just that no one linked to it in the original article.

I guess I have no opinion. I'm analytically minded, and like the spartan, box-delineated arrangement of the old template. I go to the wiki to get information quickly, I use it as a tool. However, if people want to pretty it up, I have no objections as long as all the information is still there.
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:50 pm

It's indeed just redundant information that has been removed.
Pretty in pink.
EchoMan

Postby EchoMan » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:55 pm

They are also allowing for more information, and better functionality. E.g. allowing an infobox and adding the skill used to manufactire something without automagically categorizing them as "raws" and some other things. Also allowing for new automagic categories like "Things you can make from stone", "Things you can make with use of a file" and so on, if we ever want to add things like that.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:02 pm

Wow, I looked at the bauxite entry and it looks awesome! Very wikipedian, although it is a stub. XD But what if something doesn't have a picture yet, would it have some sort of a filler image that says "no picture yet"?
Not-so-sad panda
EchoMan

Postby EchoMan » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:23 pm

Yes, that is one of the features with the more advanced templates. The master templates have something like "{if}image{then}<tr><td>(show image)</td></tr>" and the inheriting template have something like:

{Master template|
gather=500|
tool1=sickle|
amount1=750|
tool2=|
amount2=|
image=image.png|
}

If image.png is omitted nothing will be shown, as well as nothing is shown for tool2 and amount2 in this example.

Edit: Got so excited I forgot to answer your question. :D If we add image=missing.png, and missing.png is an image saying that it would show that. :) I think it is possible to have it do that automatically, bet personally I'd rather see nothing than an image of that kind.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:33 pm

Moving to accepted.
EchoMan

Postby EchoMan » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:04 am

Tincho

Postby Tincho » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:07 am

The template is already working on Spanish articles.

If someone is able and willing, you can translate the template and create a new template for articles in English.

This is the template: http://wiki.cantr.net/index.php/Templat ... ox:Recurso
EchoMan

Postby EchoMan » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:56 am

I've made an English translation of the template, and a page that tests most parameters. Can someone have a look at it just to make sure that I got all the headlines and everything right?

http://wiki.cantr.net/index.php/Cantr_I ... dbox/page5

Note that this is a fictional item, with amounts, tools and stuff added just to see the titles and so on. :)
Joshuamonkey
Owner/GAB Chair/HR Chair/ProgD

Postby Joshuamonkey » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:49 am

I made a list of words to be translated. It's quite long (about 148 terms). Most of the main article templates have been translated into English now, as well as Swedish, though it seems that the individual building articles will need to be edited in order to bring that template properly into effect.
If you're interested in translating, please let me know, or if you want to make them yourself, go ahead. :)
Joshuamonkey's Blog
http://doryiskom.myminicity.com/
https://writealyze.com
"Don't be afraid to be different, but be as good as you can be." - President James E. Faust
I'm LDS, play the cello, and run.

Return to “Likely Suggestions”