"You are hungry" Warning becoming more severe

Threads moved from Suggestions for suggestions that are likely, but are awaiting approval and implementation.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Ryaga

Re: "You are hungry" Warning becoming more severe

Postby Ryaga » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:37 am

Why do people always use visually impaired as an argument for making changes? The whole mess of green with very light intesity changes probably becomes a blob to then and no one is worried about that. If people are that worried about it they should advocate a white on purple scheme or something like that. And making the icons higher contrast.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:55 am

You feel a bit hungry, you are hungry, you are very hungry, you are starving, you are about to starve to death. Well, that would be a lot of messages to translate but the more levels there are, the harder it is to overlook.
Not-so-sad panda
nateflory

Postby nateflory » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:59 pm

Ryaga wrote:Why do people always use visually impaired as an argument for making changes? The whole mess of green with very light intesity changes probably becomes a blob to then and no one is worried about that. If people are that worried about it they should advocate a white on purple scheme or something like that. And making the icons higher contrast.

The one person I know who is visually impaired, uses a text-to-speech translator that "reads" websites. Thus, it doesn't matter what the font looks like, he would be better served by a wording-change such as "a bit hungry" going to "You are very starving".

Plus, part of the unique joy of cantr in my mind is the "retro terminal" feel of things, with a green screen. Adding pictures and fancy letterings would ruin the aesthetic for me. It's more fun when it's our imagination that brings depth to the world. :)
---------------------------------
"Nature may reach the same result in many ways." - Nikola Tesla
"Dare to be naïve". - "Unity is plural and, at minimum, is two." - Bucky Fuller
Kelli

Postby Kelli » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:34 pm

nateflory wrote:
Plus, part of the unique joy of cantr in my mind is the "retro terminal" feel of things, with a green screen. Adding pictures and fancy letterings would ruin the aesthetic for me. It's more fun when it's our imagination that brings depth to the world. :)

Completely agreed!!!
Miri

Postby Miri » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:13 pm

Kelli wrote:
nateflory wrote:

Completely agreed!!!

Me too 8)

I like the simplicity of current font and just two colours. And it still gives plenty opportunity for making things easier to see. How about making it bolded orange? I don't think it's used for any other thing, and it would still fit in
CrashBlizz

Postby CrashBlizz » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:37 pm

How about people just make sure they have food - Do people really find this so hard to do????
returner

Postby returner » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:51 am

[quote="CrashBlizz"]How about people just make sure they have food - Do people really find this so hard to do????[/quote]

When you're in a busy town, it can be harder to notice - and when you do, you might ignore it. Plus, in real life, hunger pains would get worse and worse leading up to your death. So it has a practical use in Cantr, and a real-life connection. I don't think a suggestion can be more concrete and useful than that.. it's been accepted, stop with the negativity.
CrashBlizz

Postby CrashBlizz » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:13 am

Its not negativity - I just honestly can't believe enough people continously get to the point of having no food to find this an issue. Is it such hassle to click on inventory, see you have 600g of potatoes and work out you should probably get some more in two days time?
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:02 pm

Actually, in real life I think I've read the first three days are the worst, after that you start feeling better as your body starts eating it's own tissue. First it gets rid of the fat, then the muscles, but it starts melting the muscles before it's done with all the fat since I think it was the fat around internal organs it wants to protect. I read that nature abhors a vacuum, so fat is the cheapest filling for the empty space around and between internal organs. I don't remember if it could get replaced with water or keloids but apparently fat is the cheapest alternative. Maybe if people started losing strength in the later stages of starvation, people would take it more seriously. Although it should be possible to get some of it back if you recover, but I doubt someone who lost most of their muscle tissue could get stronger than average afterwards.
Not-so-sad panda
CrashBlizz

Postby CrashBlizz » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:37 pm

[quote="SekoETC"]Actually, in real life I think I've read the first three days are the worst, after that you start feeling better as your body starts eating it's own tissue. First it gets rid of the fat, then the muscles, but it starts melting the muscles before it's done with all the fat since I think it was the fat around internal organs it wants to protect. I read that nature abhors a vacuum, so fat is the cheapest filling for the empty space around and between internal organs. I don't remember if it could get replaced with water or keloids but apparently fat is the cheapest alternative. Maybe if people started losing strength in the later stages of starvation, people would take it more seriously. Although it should be possible to get some of it back if you recover, but I doubt someone who lost most of their muscle tissue could get stronger than average afterwards.[/quote]

I like it. You wanna crank up the message, then lets crank up the consequences.

Return to “Likely Suggestions”