Front page: human-updated log of recent changes, additions.

Threads moved from Suggestions for suggestions that are likely, but are awaiting approval and implementation.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Cogliostro

Front page: human-updated log of recent changes, additions.

Postby Cogliostro » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:02 am

What would really help is if on the front page of Cantr we had a human-updated running log of recent changes, updates, additions. Essentially a simple blog-like thing with short blurbs about what brilliant new idea or item we have just added or changed. Yes, we do have a dysfunctional wiki-update area, but that is automatic and doesn't have half of the appeal of a real-human-written little post. Helps if it expresses some optimism about the feature's potential uses and RP value too.

Can be realized in tiny font if necessary.

It would help the game's visibility, since (trust me) an incredible number of new players seeing such activity would not only become encouraged to play, but would see their ideas about the game changing for the better, as they realize the number of cool features people are working hard to code and design for them.

Individual posts could be of the form date,name,info+optimistic staff joke. Example:

[DATE] - StaffMemberNick - We just added smoking pipes. They are made out of several different materials, and even work (there is a "smoke" button), and it generates an appropriate message. For roleplayers everywhere, enjoy! In the works: Lung cancer and talking through a hole in your neck.
Elros

Postby Elros » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:15 am

I am definetly for this! Maybe not exactly how you described it, but I definetly think we need a place where all of the new updates and added items are shown to everyone.

I was just thinking about this the last few days actually. I have added about 10-11 new items within the last month or two and players need to know about them. A whole lot of players do not even use the forum and have no idea that these items are in the game, and even the ones that do use the forums do not always see them.

The front page or similar would give all players an update of what new things are being added to the game. I always add the items into the Wiki, as well as post here on the forums that they have been added, but still many many players never see that.

So, I am 100% for this!
Every action has a consequence.
Cogliostro

Postby Cogliostro » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:24 am

That's right! The vast numerical majority of Cantr's players actually never read the forum, or even the wiki. I read and know pretty well the whole English wiki, how crazy is that? Probably a lot of the forum regulars have also and think nothing of it, but 75% of Cantr's actual players never did, you can bet on that!

What would probably work out pretty well is some kind of "What's New In Cantr" hub that kept a history going back all the way into the dark ages, so if you're keen you could page through lots of human-written posts about updates, new items, changes that were done.

Starting from the newest ones, of course.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:54 am

Yeah, at least in the past RD has implemented or changed stuff without any decision showing up on the forums, including the RD forum, and the only way you find out about the changes is if you read the automatically updated wiki page that lists new and updated items.
Not-so-sad panda
Elros

Postby Elros » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:57 am

SekoETC wrote:Yeah, at least in the past RD has implemented or changed stuff without any decision showing up on the forums, including the RD forum, and the only way you find out about the changes is if you read the automatically updated wiki page that lists new and updated items.

Well every single Item I implement gets added to the WIKI and announced in Implement Suggestions and the RD forum instantly.

However, this suggestion would allow those who do not read a lot on the forums, or do not use them at all, to see what is going on.

Lets come up with comments on this idea instead of just pointing out what someone hasn't done right in the past. That really had little to do with how this suggestion should work.
*Wiro

Postby *Wiro » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:09 am

Agreed. Very useful.
Read about my characters by following this link.
Rebma

Postby Rebma » Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:08 pm

I like it. I wonder if there could be a forum post for it, that you could also link from the main page (like how login, forum, irc are all linked) . They wouldn't need a forum account, but could read this post too, maybe locked so only RD can post in it...THough I wonder if you could get it to link to always show the last post...hmm
kronos wrote:like a nice trim is totally fine. short, neat. I don't want to be fighting through the forests of fangorn and expecting treebeard to come and show me the way in
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:28 pm

I support this suggestion. Good luck finding a human to keep it updated, though.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
Caesar
Location: The Netherlands, Europe, Earth, Sol, The Milkyway, Our Galaxy, Time & Space

Postby Caesar » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:01 pm

Doug R. wrote:I support this suggestion. Good luck finding a human to keep it updated, though.

[Voice="narrator"]And that's where ... steps in, offering to spend a lot of time on keeping it updated![/voice]

Now just to wait for '...'.
- Every person lost in war is two too many.
- Respect comes from two sides and must be earned. Nobody has the right to it because of a title, sex, age, race or birth.
- What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
- I believe in True Love, do you?
Dudel

Postby Dudel » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:57 pm

Doug R. wrote:I support this suggestion. Good luck finding a human to keep it updated, though.

That was my thought.
Rebma

Postby Rebma » Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:02 pm

There's no reason whoever made the change can't post to it. Especially when the changes are being posted by that person (usually-or in Elros' case a least) already to the forum. It's not that big a project.
kronos wrote:like a nice trim is totally fine. short, neat. I don't want to be fighting through the forests of fangorn and expecting treebeard to come and show me the way in
Dudel

Postby Dudel » Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:06 pm

Rebma19 wrote:There's no reason whoever made the change can't post to it. Especially when the changes are being posted by that person (usually-or in Elros' case a least) already to the forum. It's not that big a project.

<Change Made> Would you like to make a change to the front page log, now?

That, of course, would have to be an interal talk with Elros and himself... as he's the only RD member. :lol:
Elros

Postby Elros » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:04 pm

I think it should be that when a person adds or changes something in the database they have to do the following:

1: Make the change in the database.
2: Update the changes in the Wiki.
3: Post the update in the thread.

I already do that now, and it is how it should be done I believe. If you do all of that with each new item, then you don't get behind or forget.
Elros

Postby Elros » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:05 pm

Dudel wrote:
Rebma19 wrote:There's no reason whoever made the change can't post to it. Especially when the changes are being posted by that person (usually-or in Elros' case a least) already to the forum. It's not that big a project.

<Change> Would you like to make a change to the front page log, now?

That, of course, would have to be an interal talk with Elros and himself... as he's the only RD member. :lol:

Actually it is myself and Piscator now. :wink:
Peanut

Postby Peanut » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:05 am

Wouldn't a forum post suffice?

Or use the ingame announcements to announce new additions perhaps?

Return to “Likely Suggestions”