Garage

Threads moved from Suggestions for suggestions that are likely, but are awaiting approval and implementation.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

formerly known as hf

Re: Garages and Sea Transport

Postby formerly known as hf » Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:54 am

nitefyre wrote:This suggestion has come up in the past, but hasn't really received the serious audience it deserves.

http://www.cantr.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2257
http://www.cantr.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1742
http://www.cantr.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3792
http://www.cantr.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4460
http://www.cantr.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5094
with a total of 38 replies

sorry - but, otherwise, pie might think I'm picking on him...
Whoever you vote for.

The government wins.
Nick

Postby Nick » Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:57 am

kinvoya wrote:Cantr is in the age of seafaring and needs to be able to do much more with the boats than is possible now. How can we get to the new lands and find the resources there and bring back enough to make the trip worthwhile if we can't safely and efficiently trasport enough food, cargo and vehicles (and later, animals) to make this practical in one lifetime?

Some things we need:

Cabins with locks. For cargo storage and security. Also need to be able to build small machines in them like fireplaces and ovens, tables, etc.

Cargo containers which can be moved between the boat and shore.

Ramps for loading vehicles.

and/or

Crane for loading vehicles and cargo.

Need to be able to fish from a boat and prepare the fish at sea.

I'm sure there are others I'm not thinking of right now.

A loud YES for all of those, except for cranes.
Just A Bill

Postby Just A Bill » Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:07 pm

Perhaps we need a new project like Move Animal. Like breaking a lock, it wouldn't always succeed. You would need a whip to start such a project. If you are successful, the animal would move in a similar fashion to a person being dragged. The animal would attempt to move back outside fairly quickly unless it is in a locked building, on a boat at sea, ect. A trapped animal would be more agressive.

I really want to fill prison cells with lions and wild boars...
Slowness_Incarnate

Postby Slowness_Incarnate » Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:07 pm

I have a suggestion that's slightly off topic, but I wish boats that appeared on the maps came in the SHAPE of a boat. Seriously, if the front of the boat was facing the direction my character was sailing, I'd be able to figure out the compass better. Perhaps it's only me with that problem though, not remembering where I am going because I can't visualize well with the orange dot.
swymir

Postby swymir » Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:47 pm

I also think that storage containers should be able to be locked. Just a side note. They are useless unless you can lock them.
"My mind works like lightning, one brilliant flash and it's gone."
west

Postby west » Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:34 pm

slowness_incarnate wrote:I have a suggestion that's slightly off topic, but I wish boats that appeared on the maps came in the SHAPE of a boat. Seriously, if the front of the boat was facing the direction my character was sailing, I'd be able to figure out the compass better. Perhaps it's only me with that problem though, not remembering where I am going because I can't visualize well with the orange dot.

The compass comes naturally after a while once you figure out that 0=due north= to the right

0= north = right
45 = northeast = lower righthand corner
90 = east = down
135 = southeast = lower lefthand corner
180 = south = left
225 = southwest = upper lefthand corner
270 = west = up
315 = northwest = upper righthand corner
360 = north again

I suppose it just comes naturally to me because so many of my chars have been on boats before.
I'm not dead; I'm dormant.
Bud Don Elroy

Moving Animals

Postby Bud Don Elroy » Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:49 pm

I think it would be even more valuable to transport animals on boats if it were possible to ride some of the animals, such as horses, donkeys or whatever.

You could make it so that if you built stables you could train them and they could be used as vehicles, but maybe not holding as much. Unless you could ride elephants, they could hold a lot but would probably be very hard to transport in a boat.[/i]
Pie

Postby Pie » Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:51 pm

or maby you could put them in corals(a suggestion of mine), and you can train them in there. and put saddles on them and ride them.
Pnumerical Intuitiong Engyn
Paranormal Investigation Exorsism
Porcupine Interspecies Extra_poison
Pick In Enter

... The headquarters of P.I.E.!!!
west

Postby west » Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:27 am

Pie wrote:or maby you could put them in corals(a suggestion of mine), and you can train them in there. and put saddles on them and ride them.

I fail to see what putting them into underwater conglomerations of calcium-carbonate animal secretions would do to help train animals, except possibly to train them to swim.
I'm not dead; I'm dormant.
nitefyre

Re: Garages and Sea Transport

Postby nitefyre » Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:31 pm

hallucinatingfarmer wrote:
nitefyre wrote:This suggestion has come up in the past, but hasn't really received the serious audience it deserves.

http://www.cantr.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2257
http://www.cantr.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1742
http://www.cantr.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3792
http://www.cantr.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4460
http://www.cantr.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5094
with a total of 38 replies

sorry - but, otherwise, pie might think I'm picking on him...
38 replies and no progress as far as I know. I've posted/read those topics before, but see them slip to the abyss. When I see an idea, which is actually good and reasonable and credible for cantr, as are garages and sea-transport, (in the methods described) I'd be much more comforted to see these on the to-do list than some of the other suggestions out there.

Perhaps being a CD member, you would bring this to the attention of people who could do something about it, rather than counting how many times a suggest has been posted about. Obviously, from the amount of times it has been brought up, it's something that the Cantr players would like to see. I think it's a much more useful and helpful task than showing your expertise with the search button.
Nixit

Postby Nixit » Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:46 am

Yes, this would be a huge thing for Cantr. In a very good way.
Just because you're older, smarter, stronger, more talented... doesn't mean you're BETTER.
Stormoffires

Postby Stormoffires » Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:08 am

lets see almost 2 years ago was it? hmm not sure about 300 in cantr days, I made the suggestion to have GARAGES, its the simplest thing, yet no one from the Cantr Staff seemed to care...

but with the mass amount of vechials being made, haveing a grage would be a nice, have it able to attach to a building and have a door to the out side? have it so it can fit Trucks, vans, cars, but not buses, endless theres 2 sizes of grages, but really a good car company will have a MASSIVE garage to store there inventory, and company vechials, as a town could store theres so it wouldnt clutter the list, and keep the town looking neat, as well as prevent theift.

see we have buildsings for boats so why not have buildings for vechials? I mean there could be a stone garage holds x amount of vechials/size whatever... and then a wood garage holds x amount of vechials/size whatever... and then a wood/aluminum garage holds x amount of vechials/size whatever... , then like maybe a show room, with Aluminum, stone, wood, and window glass.

there is sooo much that could be done to advance this area but no steps are being taken, honestly I want to see AIRPLANES! lol theres helocopter engines, but nothing to put it in *sniffs* I want to make a 777! hehe or a 747! jumbo! buahahaha, now with that in place, there could be MASS trade, and trust me, the econemy would begin to fall into place. all this to say, we need garages, ferries able to hold vechials, Airplanes, and so on ^_^

~Storm~
Floyd

Postby Floyd » Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:05 pm

I've allways liked this idea personally
Schme wrote:We all knew it was going to happen sooner or later, and most likely sooner. When you have such a lifestyle, everyone, including yourself, knows that you are likely to die.
Anthony Roberts

Postby Anthony Roberts » Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:01 pm

Now with our new Suggestions infastructure, I'm relocating this thread to the ACCEPTED board, until Programming deems otherwise (Since they have to implement it...)

Not that they would deny it, I bet this is a good move that everyone would enjoy!
-- Anthony Roberts
DylPickle

Postby DylPickle » Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:02 pm

Bout time the Suggestion Sherrif spotted this one :P :wink:

Return to “Likely Suggestions”