Old Vehicle, New Continent

Threads moved from Suggestions for suggestions that are likely, but are awaiting approval and implementation.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

viktor

Re: Old Vehicle, New Continent

Postby viktor » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:28 am

addendum to previous post. ferries would need to allow this too but so would harbours and landing stages, the door would have to be unlocked to pass a vehicle through the door and the people space would be used for vehicles too.
okay so if it was just one boat or building to change the programming it would be easy but now that i think about it, in itself should be easy it's just the number of times over it would have to be done to cover.... harbour, landing stage, galleon, raker, skimmer, soarer, ferry, large/medium/small cargo holds (and i take back about cabins why be excessive we dont need vehicles in cabins)
it's still 10 items that would need to be altered to impliment it this way.
tedious i'm sure
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:21 am

ichi wrote:Docking a land vehicle to a water vehicle would be great, but I don't see how this could be programmed simply. How easy would it be for a land vehicle to display docking options? How easy would it be for a land vehicle to undock? It looks complicated to me.

The docking code already allows to make a vehicle a sublocation of another vehicle (larger boat) or building (harbour). Since different vehicle types are not fundamentally different from each other, all that is needed is to add a few rules and a suitable interface. It sounds definitely easier than sending vehicles to null locations and such. (By the way, even if a vehicle is on the road, it technically remains in town as far as I know. It can't be seen though.)

Naturally, the transformation between water vehicle and land vehicle can only occur at the edge of a lake or sea. In all other locations, the action button has no effect (just like ship building has no effect). When the amphibious bike is on the water, it can dock to any ship that the dinghy can dock to.

This might be easy to program. I don't know. Perhaps the amphibious bike can be changed from a land vehicle to a water vehicle by simply changing the vehicle designation number?

We don't need an action button and we don't have to change designation numbers. If I'm not missing something really important, we could be sailing up highways with our dinghies in 30 seconds. Due to a technical complication this would be a hundred times faster than a sports car though, so we would need minor assistance by ProgD to make it work properly. We might also get undesired effects if we wanted fuel usage, since I'm pretty sure that only works on roads.

@victor: Instead of a vehicle taking up one passenger slot, it might be a better idea to let it take up as many passenger slots as it provides. This would mean that a galleon with a van on it would only have space for 10 people, but since you could store another ten people inside the van, the total capacity would stay the same.
Pretty in pink.
Rusalka

Postby Rusalka » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:02 pm

Well, when I think of a vehicle on a Galleon, I can't imagine more then 2-3 cars. That makes total sense and I don't believe we need to make any adjustments here.
Kelli

Postby Kelli » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:09 pm

I can't wait until this is done....*sighs dreamily*
LOL
Keegan Ingrassia

Postby Keegan Ingrassia » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:58 pm

I've had so very many characters who could've used this... :lol:
But, I'll be -very- glad when it happens.
viktor

Postby viktor » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:29 pm

*nods* your passenger space point Piscator is irrefutable
EchoMan

Postby EchoMan » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:39 pm

This is one of those suggestions I see instantly exploited if it were ever implemented. All of the "new" or not very advanced locations would be overrun with power-gaming schmucks with crossbows or claymores, travellong in a van. How does this help the game forward? :cry:
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:49 pm

It all depends on how easy it is to disembark a van. If you needed a harbour (since large ships can't dock directly to land) you couldn't just overrun a primitive society and if you needed half a day to get a van off your deck, you'd hardly be able to launch a surprise attack.
Pretty in pink.
Kelli

Postby Kelli » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:53 pm

[quote="Piscator"]It all depends on how easy it is to disembark a van. If you needed a harbour (since large ships can't dock directly to land) you couldn't just overrun a primitive society and if you needed half a day to get a van off your deck, you'd hardly be able to launch a surprise attack.[/quote]

GREAT idea!
EchoMan

Postby EchoMan » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:55 pm

Piscator wrote:It all depends on how easy it is to disembark a van. If you needed a harbour (since large ships can't dock directly to land) you couldn't just overrun a primitive society and if you needed half a day to get a van off your deck, you'd hardly be able to launch a surprise attack.

Well, "half a day" doesn't exactly give people in fur loin clothes and bone spears a chance to defend against the dudes in a van. :)
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:08 pm

Maybe enough to flee. Or lock the harbour if they have one. Althought I doubt that the attacker would bother to use a van in this situation.
Pretty in pink.
EchoMan

Postby EchoMan » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:30 am

I still believe it should require some special building to land/disembark a vehicle from a ship. If it's too easy I'm afraid smaller communities will be wiped out much too easy. It will become the new favourite pastime for our dear powergamers to wipe out language group after language group.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:16 am

It would be good if moving cars to a galleon took at least an hour, if it was even possible to bring them on board. I doubt people unloading vans on a new island is going to cause a disaster because primitive islands don't have upgraded roads so the attackers couldn't use their precious van. I'd be more concerned about pirates stealing bikes and motorcycles. I know one of mine would start picking up bikes and motorcycles just if it was possible. In the past he found a motorcycle with the key on the ground, and he left a note explaining in pictures that if you steal this vehicle, I cut your fingers off and you will cry, but if you come to location X and give me stuff, I give you the key and you'll drive away happy. But the next time he went to check on the motorcycle, it was gone. And someone stole his longboat too. A friggen' longboat. The only reason his own motorcycle hasn't been stolen is because the town it's in has some permanent residents. You leave a vehicle in an uninhabited location and it's going to get at least broken into if not outright stolen.
Not-so-sad panda
EchoMan

Postby EchoMan » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:56 am

Vans drive on sand roads, which are pretty common even in rather desolate areas.
viktor

Postby viktor » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:31 am

if a community is that small, a person doesnt need a van to kill them, that aside, a crew can come to a land, build a van from componants, and drive down any upgraded road anyways, if there are that many people the van construction will not take any time. this suggestion is more for taking a vehicle with you instead of ditching it behind, or for salvage of abandoned ones.

Return to “Likely Suggestions”