Old Vehicle, New Continent

Threads moved from Suggestions for suggestions that are likely, but are awaiting approval and implementation.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

El_Skwidd

Old Vehicle, New Continent

Postby El_Skwidd » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:03 pm

I am almost certain this has been suggested before, but all of my searches turned up fruitless, so I apologize in advance for spamming.

BUT.

I think the option to load a vehicle onto a boat as cargo would be really useful, and would lend a lot more value to a big boat like a galleon. Perhaps this would only be possible if the boat had a cargo hold. Exploration of new places and inland trading would be made much, much easier if transportation of vehicles by boat was made possible.
Cdls wrote:Explaining Cantr to a newb would be like explaining sex to a virgin.

Let the world hear these words once more:
Save us, oh Lord, from the wrath of the Norsemen!
Ice-Man

Postby Ice-Man » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:22 pm

You're right, it has been sugested several times.

Anyhow I would like it to be implemented.
ImageImage
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:39 pm

It's in the very extensive to-do list.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
El_Skwidd

Postby El_Skwidd » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:18 pm

Good to know, Doug. Thanks. :lol:
Cdls wrote:Explaining Cantr to a newb would be like explaining sex to a virgin.

Let the world hear these words once more:

Save us, oh Lord, from the wrath of the Norsemen!
w.w.g.d.w

Postby w.w.g.d.w » Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:20 am

What about animals?
I want took them on boat/car too. :)
Idriveayugo

Postby Idriveayugo » Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:56 am

If this rule is implemented, I will take all of the vehicles from continents and horde them in my cargo holds.
Dudel

Postby Dudel » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:35 pm

Doubt you could have more then a couple, yugo.
*Wiro

Postby *Wiro » Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:20 pm

Dudel wrote:Doubt you could have more then a couple, yugo.

Van (26300 grams) with Car Engine B (2660 grams) weighs 28960 grams.
A large cargo hold can hold 900000, but there will have to be about 75000 grams of space for one person to be able to move in and out without having to drop a bunch of stuff. So that leaves 825000 grams.

This means 28 vans can be stored in a large cargo hold. But since vans aren't cubes of 28960 grams, it's probably possible for about 10 to be stored in a large cargo hold... but if it just uses weight, then it's 28. Over 50 would be possible to store on the deck of a galleon.

*shrugs* Cantr weight is weird.
Read about my characters by following this link.
BZR

Postby BZR » Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:26 pm

Really? Modern ships can transport hundreds of vans... Galleons could carry about ten.
joo

Postby joo » Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:38 am

That would be great... you could have ferry services for people who wanted to "drive" to another continent.
ichi

Re: Old Vehicle, New Continent

Postby ichi » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:22 am

This suggestion was accepted more than a year ago, but it still has not been Implemented. Perhaps there is a simpler way to implement this.

PORTABLE BICYCLE
* made out of aluminium, magnesium and rubber
* construction requires workbench, wrench, pliers and peen hammer
* initially it is an object which can be picked up or dragged
* to make it a vehicle, you drop it and click action button
* as a vehicle it performs exactly like an ordinary bike
* to make it an object, you empty it and click action button

This should be relatively easy to program. When the portable bicycle is an object, the action button deletes it from the object array for that location and creates a new (empty) vehicle in that location. When the portable bicycle is a vehicle, the action button deletes it from from the vehicle array for that location and creates a new object for that location. To keep this simple, nothing will remain in the vehicle when it is converted: no objects, no messages, no unfinished projects, no lock. This could be implemented by insisting that the vehicle be empty before the action button works, or alternatively the contents of the vehicle could simply disappear when it is converted to an object.

Note: the portable bicycle is not lockable -- it does not come with a lock and key. To secure the bicycle, you carry it with you, or you put it into a lockable building or vehicle.
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:12 am

This could be implemented using the disassembly code, but vehicles are still on the list of objects it doesn't work with, likely because it is in fact not that easy to implement.

I think it might be more promising to adopt the docking code.
Pretty in pink.
ichi

Postby ichi » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:23 am

Piscator wrote:
>
> This could be implemented using the disassembly code,

I agree that the disassembly routine would be a neat way to do this. Set the disassembly time to one hour and the portable bicycle (object) will be the output.

> but vehicles are still on the list of objects it doesn't work with, likely because it
> is in fact not that easy to implement.

OK, we won't be able to use that method. How about using the travel routine? When a vehicle leaves one location to travel to another, it disappears from the first location. Perhaps we could use this to disappear the vehicle by sending it to a null location? Thus, when you click the action button on the portable bicycle vehicle, the vehicle is send to limbo and the portable bicycle object is created (using the normal routine for creating objects).

> I think it might be more promising to adopt the docking code.

Docking a land vehicle to a water vehicle would be great, but I don't see how this could be programmed simply. How easy would it be for a land vehicle to display docking options? How easy would it be for a land vehicle to undock? It looks complicated to me. I'd like to suggest a simpler option.

AMPHIBIOUS BIKE
* made from 1000 aluminium, 500 steel, 450 wood and 750 rubber
* construction requires workbench, wrench, pliers and peen hammer
* initially it is a land vehicle and performs like a bike cart
* to make it a water vehicle, you click the action button
* as a water vehicle it performs and docks like a dinghy
* to make it a land vehicle, you click the action button

Naturally, the transformation between water vehicle and land vehicle can only occur at the edge of a lake or sea. In all other locations, the action button has no effect (just like ship building has no effect). When the amphibious bike is on the water, it can dock to any ship that the dinghy can dock to.

This might be easy to program. I don't know. Perhaps the amphibious bike can be changed from a land vehicle to a water vehicle by simply changing the vehicle designation number?
Kelli

Postby Kelli » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:24 am

I'm glad this is on the way......I've been wanting to suggest it every day for several days in a row now....LOL
viktor

Postby viktor » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:23 am

why don't we just allow (on the larger ships requiring harbours to dock) the seat spacing on deck and in the cabins and holds to count for vehicles as well as people, if you have 20 seats on a galleon deck, then you should be able to have any combination for vehicles or people adding up to at most 20, now some people already have ideas in thier heads about this being abusable but, if you tried filling 10 vans with 10 people each that's 6,000,000 grams so even with the best sails a raker could barely move if at all, to undock and try to redock would take a cantr year, so mechanics itself saves us from this potential for abuse. seems to be an easy concept not sure on how easy it would be to program but.. i'd imagine it's not one of the harder things that get typed up.

Return to “Likely Suggestions”