Old Vehicle, New Continent

Threads moved from Suggestions for suggestions that are likely, but are awaiting approval and implementation.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Addicted

Re: Old Vehicle, New Continent

Postby Addicted » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:19 am

Doug R. wrote:If we changed bicycle assembly to a frame and two tires, we could make assembly one hour and disassembly one hour. You could then essentially pack up your bike and take it with you anywhere.

Uhuh! Please?
Armulus Satchula

Postby Armulus Satchula » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:26 pm

Addicted wrote:
Doug R. wrote:If we changed bicycle assembly to a frame and two tires, we could make assembly one hour and disassembly one hour. You could then essentially pack up your bike and take it with you anywhere.

Uhuh! Please?

Do want.
Oasis

Postby Oasis » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:32 am

If we did this with cars, wouldn't an assembly line be needed to put it back together?
EchoMan

Postby EchoMan » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:15 am

Not like it is implemented today. You make the parts with the assembly line, then put the parts together outdoors.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:03 pm

Let's look at a tandem:

Current:

Time 7 day(s)
Materials 1100 grams of steel
1100 grams of iron
150 grams of rubber
Tools regular or bronze screwdriver

New:

new project: Assembling a tandem bike (1 hour, no tools)
new project: Assembling a tandem bike frame (1050g steel, 1100g iron, 4.875 days, screwdriver)
new project: Assembling a bike tire (25g steel, 75g rubber, 1 day, no tools) X2

Problems:

There's no support for disassembling something with a lock. As it is now, the lock would be destroyed in the dis-assembly. Ideally, the lock ID would be attached to the frame somehow. Another solution would be to make bike locks portable like real-life bike locks, but we'd need a mechanism for applying the lock to the bike.

There's no support for disassembling named objects. However, I suppose it's a moot point, since you can just rename it when you reassemble the bike.

Notes:

-You'd need to hold the key to disassemble the bike, even if it's not locked. If there's an open lock on it, and you don't have the key, you need to pop it off first.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
Joshuamonkey
Owner/GAB Chair/HR Chair/ProgD

Postby Joshuamonkey » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:01 pm

I think in many cases it'd be worth just being able to disassemble and reassemble a bike, or other vehicles, with the loss of a lock.
Joshuamonkey's Blog
http://doryiskom.myminicity.com/
https://writealyze.com
"Don't be afraid to be different, but be as good as you can be." - President James E. Faust
I'm LDS, play the cello, and run.
muidoido

Postby muidoido » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:15 pm

The bike lock should be just another part needed to assemble the bike. Then, when you disassemble it, you get two wheels, the frame and the lock back.
Joshuamonkey
Owner/GAB Chair/HR Chair/ProgD

Postby Joshuamonkey » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:42 pm

muidoido wrote:The bike lock should be just another part needed to assemble the bike. Then, when you disassemble it, you get two wheels, the frame and the lock back.

And we could take the cost of the lock out of the bike frame.
I'm just afraid of having to implement having a portable lock that you attach onto a vehicle after you make the vehicle. I wouldn't want to have this suggestion forgotten about..
Joshuamonkey's Blog
http://doryiskom.myminicity.com/
https://writealyze.com
"Don't be afraid to be different, but be as good as you can be." - President James E. Faust
I'm LDS, play the cello, and run.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:23 am

muidoido wrote:The bike lock should be just another part needed to assemble the bike. Then, when you disassemble it, you get two wheels, the frame and the lock back.

Yeah, you would need programming intervention here, since locks are not currently portable. Yes, we can create a portable vehicle lock, but programming would need to find a way to stick the lock ID onto it, and keep it on there when it's attached to the bike or removed in disassembly. I think this would be a better suggestion then mine (where you could take the lock with you any time).

The downside of this is that you couldn't make a bike without first having the lock, which is highly unrealistic.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
MelloYell

Postby MelloYell » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:10 am

ive only been skimming this thread, so this might have been addressed. but earlier i saw that a suggestion was made to rename the bike as it was reassembled. however, if reassembly takes just one hour, wouldnt this be like a cheap way to change the name of the bike, as opposed to taking a whole day per the normal route of changing vehicle names?
muidoido

Postby muidoido » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:02 am

Smart... With the name and the lock problem, we should use a different way of handling this. Maybe not disassembling the bike, but packing/unpacking it. It would create a new object called "packed bike" with all the properties of the packed bike. When unpacking, it would make a bike with the properties of the previously packed one. I guess this would need a lot of programming, but would work very well.

Or the disassembling should take a LOT more time to finish...
Pilot
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Pilot » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:43 am

Or allow some land vehicles go inside/dock to big vessels? :roll:
Wolfsong

Postby Wolfsong » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:35 am

Maybe a new thread in the Suggestions forum should be made for the Bike idea, leaving this one as is?
viktor

Postby viktor » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:46 am

viktor wrote:.....after a few minutes i thought.. why not make disassembling a vehicle turn it into a vehicle package object with the weight of the vehicle, this way you can preserve the key instead of having a useless key and taking up another key number in the database unnescessarily... if the package is light enough a person can carry it, if not then it can be dragged. it can then be acessed for reassembly by the/a keyholder for that vehicle
with this idea, we could either keep the reassembly time the same as the original assembly OR because it is a new type of object we could make assembly quicker..
just a thought i had.

this could solve the naming and the lock problems if it's not too hard to program itself, alternativly yes we could make it so you can load entire vehicles onto ships.
Fingersmith

Postby Fingersmith » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:41 pm

How about introducing a new type of boat, the car ferry and a new type of landing, the car dock. When there is a car dock built in a coastal town it would show as an additional location exit. Cars and bikes would be able take that exit. If there is a car ferry docked there the next hour tick they would board it . The same would go for unboarding . The car ferry could also dock in a coastal harbour but no cars would be allowed to embark or disembark from that entrance. People should be able to embark and disembark either from a coastal harbour or from a car dock.

So this is more like real life . You dont disasseble your car to go to an island you just take the car ferry. :D
Current Mission: "Exploring the Universe in order to find myself in it and exploring myself in order to find the Universe in it."

Return to “Likely Suggestions”