Make travellers on road visible

Threads moved from Suggestions for suggestions that are likely, but are awaiting approval and implementation.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:06 pm

Missy, I've been thinking about what you said all morning, and I really can't think of any significant ways in which this will make being a criminal harder.

A person steals and flees onto a road. People follow and strike them. If the thief is very lucky, they'll eventually outrun everyone. This is the most typical criminal scenario, and the new mechanism wouldn't ever even come into play.

Let's even say that it was radioed ahead that a thief was coming. If people from the next town came onto the road, they'd be looking for a wounded person anyway. However, since the thief is coming to them, it wouldn't make much sense for them to go out onto the road; they'd just sit in town and wait, so again this mechanism doesn't come into play. Sure, if someone did come out into the road, they'd get a notification when the wounded thief came into view, but that thief was as good as dead anyway when he reached the town.

Let's say that the thief has a really good head start, and is pursued by people in vehicles. Sure, when the vehicles come into range, the player will get a notice. However, if you're actively out looking for a criminal on the road in a vehicle, you're gonna check every hour anyway. If not, that must mean you're busy or asleep, so the mechanism won't matter anyway. I've also see it where very fast vehicles blow past criminals altogether and ever see them at all!

The point I'm trying to make is, as long as people know which road you're on, a criminal is dead meat, notice or no notice, unless they're faster than their pursuers and the town on the other end has no idea what's going on.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
Missy

Postby Missy » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:51 pm

Have you ever lost a criminal on the road, Doug? One that is purposely trying to outrun you and dodge you?

I've seen where criminals will quietly walk right past you. I've heard of people playing criminals who've said, "I checked on the path to see if anyone was there and when I liooked your char was walking right beside me but I chose not to say anything because I didn't want you to know I was there. I escaped by the hair on my balls."

I've done it personally.

Even if you don't wake up that hour to know you've seen the person, people will figure out the turns and the hours and how long ago it was, and where they must have left the person behind. They'll switch direction and go back to find them etc.

so the mechanism won't matter anyway

If you're going to be on every hour checking for that criminal anyway as you seem to think people will do, then why do you need this feature?

You don't.

Work on something else.
I hate people.
marol

Postby marol » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:21 pm

Well, I still think that pros are much more significant than cons, though I'd like to hear more opinions about that.
(SRVPRC)
sanchez
Administrator Emeritus

Postby sanchez » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:43 pm

How about notification only of people in vehicles or those walking at 100% speed. Then thieves or people wishing privacy will have an option.
marol

Postby marol » Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:39 pm

That would not be intuitive for players - why fast going people are visible while others are not? Better would be an option stealth mode... there might be also a penalty for using it like decreased speed.
(SRVPRC)

sanchez
Administrator Emeritus

Postby sanchez » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:16 pm

I was thinking hiding in shadows would keep you at 99%...
Money

Postby Money » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:46 pm

Have you ever played Man Hunt or other stealth games? 99% would get you seen in 2 sec lat with all the racket you make. I say 50% and below is stealthy
tazer

Postby tazer » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:30 pm

I say full speed stealth mode...
*Wiro

Postby *Wiro » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:48 pm

marol wrote:That would not be intuitive for players - why fast going people are visible while others are not? Better would be an option stealth mode... there might be also a penalty for using it like decreased speed.

Wouldn't that be basically the same in the end? Less speed = stealth mode, stealth mode = less speed. :P So I prefer the first, less stuff to make. Like, if you go at 50%< of the speed you can, you won't get noticed?
Read about my characters by following this link.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:55 pm

I suggest a random chance of being spotted. 100% speed would have a 100% chance of being spotted and it would go down from there. The simplest way would be to make it linear, but if there was an exponential curve, that would make things more interesting. There would be no artificial limit between running and sneaking, anything less than 100% would have a chance of going unnoticed although with high speeds the chance would be very slight.
Not-so-sad panda
joo

Postby joo » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:42 pm

Well, surely it should still be possible to walk slowly and still be visible - some people might want to meet up with another character, after all, and they wouldn't want to be missed.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:52 pm

Then you say "Hey, wait up!" People would still be visible on the People list, isn't this topic about an event that pops up when someone comes within your range of view?
Not-so-sad panda
joo

Postby joo » Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:26 pm

SekoETC wrote:Then you say "Hey, wait up!"

By the time your character wakes up, the other person could have passed them.
SekoETC wrote:People would still be visible on the People list, isn't this topic about an event that pops up when someone comes within your range of view?

Then wouldn't that defeat the purpose of being "hidden?" - people would just compensate by always looking at the people page.
*Wiro

Postby *Wiro » Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:27 pm

A checkbox for hiding that you can turn on and off would be best then I guess...
Read about my characters by following this link.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:56 pm

Sure people could keep checking the People page all the time, but that would be the equivalent of being alert. People are not going to bother with it if they're not particularly looking for someone, especially if most people would be visible in events.
Not-so-sad panda

Return to “Likely Suggestions”