Make travellers on road visible

Threads moved from Suggestions for suggestions that are likely, but are awaiting approval and implementation.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Proudmonkey

Make travellers on road visible

Postby Proudmonkey » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:42 pm

I've searched and couldn't find anything...sorry if it's been done before, but i like some way to know when people are travelling on the road with you without having to check at times...maybe something as simple as you see a man in his twenties when the person would first show up on your people list. and when they are gone you no longer see a man in his twenties. ??? I wonder how many tmes I've travelled with someone right beside me and never knew it. or nearly got ran over by a car :D
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:55 pm

That would be very useful!
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
sem

Postby sem » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:23 am

I'm sure I remember some discussion about this, where there were concerns about people flickering in and out of sight during the movement processing.
Rossato

Postby Rossato » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:33 am

It should be not hard to implement, it's the same way with boats, when you see a boat where you can dock.
Não vai dar tempo!!
Leo Luncid

Postby Leo Luncid » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:43 am

So you're saying that you should see people you're traveling the same speed with, or you do you want something to notify you better when you have someone in particular traveling on the same road? I'm not sure what you're trying to mean.

And hasn't it been that characters can only see each other when one is within a certain limited range of the other (not a rhetorical question)? I know that may be the reason why this is suggested, but shouldn't this be kept for consistency?
DylPickle

Postby DylPickle » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:41 am

Leo, what he is suggesting is that once another character comes within the range at which you can see him, you would get a message that would say something like "You spot a man in his twenties." Or something.

Basically it's so you, as a player, would actually notice when someone else is walking near you, or passing by you on the roads. That'd end the whole "My character is traveling and is therefore doomed to be boring" mentality.
Zanthos

Postby Zanthos » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:09 pm

what about vehicles >.>
Person: Akamada doesnt control the animals.
You see a wild boar attack Person.
Person: I still dont believe you.

<Spill> Oh, I enjoy every sperm to the fullest.
Chris

Postby Chris » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:28 pm

I suspect that this suggestion would make a major contribution to lag if implemented. With fixed locations like town centers and buildings, entering and exiting are discrete events; you are either in the location or not. On the road, coming into view is an analog event: your view is X pixels, less than the length of the whole road. So for every person on the road, every time there is a travel tick, the Cantr program would have to keep track of who is in view, who has just come into view, and who has just gone out of view.

If you care about people on the road, it's easy enough just to hit the People page every time you log in to look at your traveling characters.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:21 pm

Chris wrote:If you care about people on the road, it's easy enough just to hit the People page every time you log in to look at your traveling characters.

I think the point of the suggestion is that it will generate an event that will make your character light up, giving you a reason to log-in when you normally wouldn't.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
Chris

Postby Chris » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:42 pm

Doug R. wrote:
Chris wrote:If you care about people on the road, it's easy enough just to hit the People page every time you log in to look at your traveling characters.

I think the point of the suggestion is that it will generate an event that will make your character light up, giving you a reason to log-in when you normally wouldn't.

I understand. I just don't think the cost would be worth it.
UloDeTero

Postby UloDeTero » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:26 pm

Chris wrote:every time there is a travel tick, the Cantr program would have to keep track of who is in view, who has just come into view, and who has just gone out of view.

But doesn't it do this anyway, hence the always-up-to-date list under People...? Wouldn't this suggestion just require events to be generated using the same data?
ceselb

Postby ceselb » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:11 pm

Positions are incremented, but who you see is not actually checked by the server during processing. It's done when you actually log in and check. Doing this after every tick for every char would put s ome load on the server. It might be an easy lookup though, I don't know.
Marol, how many people are traveling on roads on average? How many queries would this take?
"I'll start with who, what, where, and when, followed by whither, whether, wherefore and whence, and follow that up with a big side-order of 'why'." -- Zaphod Beeblebrox
marol

Postby marol » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:21 am

Land travels are very boring in these days, especially since animals no longer are available on roads. Showing up approaching people in events will help with it a bit.

:arrow: Accepted Suggestions
(SRVPRC)
ceselb

Postby ceselb » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:09 am

Hey, if it's not too much work it would be very nice.
"I'll start with who, what, where, and when, followed by whither, whether, wherefore and whence, and follow that up with a big side-order of 'why'." -- Zaphod Beeblebrox
Missy

Postby Missy » Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:37 am

Consider that it makes it ten times harder for the criminals in the game if you implement this. According to some people, it's already impossible to have a criminal.
I hate people.

Return to “Likely Suggestions”