Perfumes as clothing

Threads moved from Suggestions for suggestions that are likely, but are awaiting approval and implementation.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Nakranoth

Perfumes as clothing

Postby Nakranoth » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:54 pm

Alright, it sounds a little wierd, but hey, you wear it, and people could tell you're wearing it.

Basic formula would be flower/herb/scented-stuff + alcohol/plant oil/solvent = perfume

It would be made at an apothecary table and because of scarsity of flowers and the like, could become a big exportable commodity.
Scratch and sniff text
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:08 pm

I was thinking of including scent in the crown of lavenders. What would people think if raw hide actually stank, would that give people some initiative to make leather?
Not-so-sad panda
Nakranoth

Postby Nakranoth » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:21 pm

Honestly, even without hard coded scents, perfumes could function well as RP items. For instance, any of those blind charries may learn perfumed people by scent as well as sound.
Scratch and sniff text
Gran

Postby Gran » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:45 pm

It's a good idea.Maybe it's possible to code perfume to "vanish" after sometime the people used it.Adding more features, maybe you could change concentration of the flower extracts, making it lasts for more time.Later, if dirtyness is implemented, perfume can used to "hide" the stinky smell of dirties :)
tiddy ogg

Postby tiddy ogg » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:48 pm

Would it wear off?
All clothes ought to wear out anyway, and if such wear is implenented, then perfume could wear off very quickly.
Nakranoth

Postby Nakranoth » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:36 pm

It would wear off if clothes ever deter... otherwise, it should essencially be a piece of clothing in current game respects.
Scratch and sniff text
wichita
Administrator Emeritus

Postby wichita » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:51 pm

We could code it as an unreperable visible object held in the inventory that would decay over time.
"Y-O-U! It's just two extra letters! Come on, people! This is the internet, not a barn!" --Kid President
sanchez
Administrator Emeritus

Postby sanchez » Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:01 pm

Clothing would allow a more detailed description, and also the choice of different scents.
He wears: 'scent of lavender', or 'an intriguing blend of patchouli and rose, with a hint of citrus',...
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:52 am

Sounds good. Now this might be something even my primitive Finn could use, they've got a lot of herbs and stuff and crushing them shouldn't take that complex tools.
Not-so-sad panda
sanchez
Administrator Emeritus

Postby sanchez » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:06 pm

Perhaps then there could be both primitive and more advanced ones requiring ambergris collected by sailors and alcohol distilled on land, as Nakranoth mentioned in this thread: http://www.cantr.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13661
wichita
Administrator Emeritus

Postby wichita » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:42 am

Couldn't we cheat the system a bit and just use the language tags to add flavor to the inventory description? Or is it the outside description that gets displayed on the character page with the clothing?

I like the idea of it decaying over time. A big limitation I see to clothing is that it is permanent. Once you buy a set of clothes, you never have to replace it - unlike all the rest of the objects and resources that drive most trades.

Oh wait. The repair rates are too high. That makes objects effectively permanent to.....

P.S. Perfumes moved to Accepted since this is mostly an RD discussion now anyway. ;)
"Y-O-U! It's just two extra letters! Come on, people! This is the internet, not a barn!" --Kid President
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:19 am

I don't see why we couldn't introduce scents as permanent wearable items for now and ProgD can allow deterioration of all clothing items when they feel like bothering.

If repairing clothing was just like repairing anything else, most cloth-wearing people would do it occasionally without giving it a second thought. And those people who don't care about their appearance would be more inclined not to get clothing, or to only wear it until it falls apart if they got it from a friend. Usage-based deterioration would be triggered by wearing. Scents would be non-repairable and deteriorate fast.
Not-so-sad panda
Skulty

Postby Skulty » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:44 am

I agree with it the way Seko said...
Nakranoth

Postby Nakranoth » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:23 pm

*looks around in awe* No ho hums? Wow, harmless suggestions are easy. :D

So, do we talk specifics now or does that happen else where? ... Or is it in the oh so scary "tailoring" section now? :wink:
Scratch and sniff text
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:24 pm

Well defining resources and tools is regular RD stuff, writing descriptions is tailoring stuff. But it's not like regular RD people couldn't comment on tailoring stuff, I've just been under the assumption that no one gives a damn.
Not-so-sad panda

Return to “Likely Suggestions”