Heavy objects

Threads moved from Suggestions for suggestions that are likely, but are awaiting approval and implementation.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

SCUBA

Heavy objects

Postby SCUBA » Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:05 am

I would like to have heavy objects that can be dragged. They can be used in two ways.

1. Measure how strong you are... I can drag the 20kg object when I am not tired at all, but not the 30kg object.

2. Body building / gaining strength. By dragging the heavy objects you should be tired but also gain strengt. I dont know if dragging people now add strength to the character, at least it makes you tired now. Also just for trying.
/SCUBA

-------------------------------------------------------

<Nick> I have enjoyed some of your forum posts which is rare.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:20 pm

I was thinking about this too, but for a different reason - furniture.

If they could be dragged but not picked up, even though someone might walk in and drag out a piece, they couldn't take it on a road unless they have a vehicle, so there's little chance of it vanishing altogether. This would allow people taking their furniture along when they're moving to a new building, or even to a new town if they have a vehicle.

As it goes for people, a piece of furniture also couldn't be dragged if it was already being dragged into another direction. But they're mostly so light that people would most likely be able to move them alone. For this reason, I wish there was a way for limiting your strength.
Not-so-sad panda
Sicofonte

Postby Sicofonte » Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:01 pm

Agree.

Let's drag furniture like corpses!

Maybe with an extra penalization for the strenght, in order to require cooperation to move medium and heavy furnitures (and maybe some of the machines).
Furnitures are rather lighter than corpses. Corpses are 60kg, furnitures goes from less than 1 kg to 5 and sometimes 10 kg. If we want to force cooperation, they should be more difficult to drag, for example multiplying the weight of the furniture by 10. In that way, something of 6 kg will need the same force as for dragging a corpse (two chars in the median I think).
Tyche es una malparida. Espero que Ramnus y Pluto intervengan... o no :P
Elros

Postby Elros » Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:09 pm

The Large Wooden Crate was supposed to be draggable like this, so that you could fill it with storage and then drag it on a boat and take it with you, or drag it into another building ect... However when it was finally implemented they just made it a stationary storage. I do not know why for sure. It really sucked too because I was looking foward to that. It would have added alot of fun things to do in game.
Every action has a consequence.
Sicofonte

Postby Sicofonte » Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:40 pm

ProgD issue maybe?
Chris Johnson

Postby Chris Johnson » Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:47 pm

No, RD
Elros

Postby Elros » Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:48 pm

Yes it prbably is, I hope though that they work it out because that would add alot of new things to the game also. You could load up crates full of goods on your ship and transport them to different ports ect... If you had signs like we have been disscusing then you could just stick then name of the port or the person where it needed to be dropped at on the side of the crate.
Elros

Postby Elros » Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:50 pm

Oh, sorry I was writin the post before you said that Chris. What is the holdup or problem with the crate being draggable but not carryable?
Nakranoth

Postby Nakranoth » Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:55 pm

I don't see why we should add penalties to furniture... I can single handedly drag all but my biggest furniture around by myself, and I'm not significantly stronger than average.
Scratch and sniff text
Chris Johnson

Postby Chris Johnson » Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:59 pm

Elros wrote:Oh, sorry I was writin the post before you said that Chris. What is the holdup or problem with the crate being draggable but not carryable?

There is none - just make it heavy enough so that it can't be carried then it then it has to be dragged - Cantrians can carry up to 15kg ,if an object is movable and weighs more than this then it has to be dragged - if it weighs less than this then it can be dragged or picked up - As I said its a RD design issue not a ProgD one
psymann

Postby psymann » Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:34 pm

Sicofonte wrote:Corpses are 60kg, furnitures goes from less than 1 kg to 5 and sometimes 10 kg. If we want to force cooperation, they should be more difficult to drag, for example multiplying the weight of the furniture by 10.

Rather than adding this strange x10 multiplier, the simpler solution, and I think the one that Chris is looking for, is that you just make the furniture heavier. If it's only 6kg in weight, then why prohibit me from picking it up? If you want me to stop picking it up, make it heavier...

I can pick up a chair as it doesn't weigh much. But I can't pick up my bed. Funnily enough, the bed weighs distinctly more than 15kg...

The only other thing is "bulk" but since bulk is not programmed in any more than containability (ie we carry water around without anything to put it in), then weight is the only issue. Maybe that x10 multiplier would be added as a "bulk" variable, so the more awkward to carry, the more room it takes... but then what is "room" --- I think it's easier to call the whole thing weight - and let weight actually mean "carriability" - so something light but awkward to carry would still be given a high "weight".

psymann
Retired from www.warofempires.com
(psymann, psydkik, psyborg, psyanide on chronicles of the ages v2-v6) and now seeking a peaceful life in Cantr.

Run out of Cantr minutes? Try www.battlemaster.org for more roleplaying fun.
Elros

Postby Elros » Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:02 pm

Well Psymann, the problem with that is that we decide the weight of an object by adding all of the weight of the materials to make it. If we started making furniture heavier then we would either have to add more resource requirements to it, or just pick some random number that has nothing to do with the system we use now.

Example of how the weight works now:
Object X:

Requirements:
250 grams of wood
600 grams of stone
200 grams of iron

Object X would weigh: 1050 gams(wood+stone+iron)
wichita
Administrator Emeritus

Postby wichita » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:19 pm

Moved to Accepted because RD talked about this several times in the past, but a few members forgot that we can already do this. ;)
"Y-O-U! It's just two extra letters! Come on, people! This is the internet, not a barn!" --Kid President
Sicofonte

Postby Sicofonte » Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:14 pm

Nakranoth wrote:I don't see why we should add penalties to furniture... I can single handedly drag all but my biggest furniture around by myself, and I'm not significantly stronger than average.

psymann wrote:
Sicofonte wrote:Corpses are 60kg, furnitures goes from less than 1 kg to 5 and sometimes 10 kg. If we want to force cooperation, they should be more difficult to drag, for example multiplying the weight of the furniture by 10.

Rather than adding this strange x10 multiplier, the simpler solution, and I think the one that Chris is looking for, is that you just make the furniture heavier. If it's only 6kg in weight, then why prohibit me from picking it up? If you want me to stop picking it up, make it heavier...

I can pick up a chair as it doesn't weigh much. But I can't pick up my bed. Funnily enough, the bed weighs distinctly more than 15kg...

The only other thing is "bulk" but since bulk is not programmed in any more than containability (ie we carry water around without anything to put it in), then weight is the only issue. Maybe that x10 multiplier would be added as a "bulk" variable, so the more awkward to carry, the more room it takes... but then what is "room" --- I think it's easier to call the whole thing weight - and let weight actually mean "carriability" - so something light but awkward to carry would still be given a high "weight".
psymann

Psymann, take care with the last you said. The vehicles have a maximum weight, not a maximum carriability. If we asume that something light have a high weight, those light items while be just heavy.

I suggested the strange multiplier in order to avoid changing all the weights of all the furnitures and any other thing we could want to be draggable/portable (saving RD work).

Of course, I prefer to change the weights and make them more coherent and consistent. It has no sense that a dinghy weights 5 Kg (carrying up to 135 kg) or a tandem bike 2.5 Kg, while a chair weights 2 Kg or a vacuum tube mould "only" 2.9 Kg.
But if we change the fineel weight of an item, should be changed the required resources to make the item?

Intrincate problem.
Nakranoth

Postby Nakranoth » Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:03 pm

Oh, and honestly, I really could pick up and carry a chair or a small desk... as long as I'm not carrying too much other stuff too. Really, the only thing that would have to be added to make this viable is getting tired from moving from room to room while carrying heavy objects (a kilo or more in a single item, not resources) to keep people from outright taking all the furniture in a single move.
Scratch and sniff text

Return to “Likely Suggestions”