graphic for breaking off task

Threads moved from Suggestions for suggestions that are likely, but are awaiting approval and implementation.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

T-shirt

graphic for breaking off task

Postby T-shirt » Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:18 pm

psymann wrote:- how to start/pause/stop/cancel/ activities is not terribly intuitive.
- breaking off a task - this is of course possible, but I know why I couldn't see how. You use the same graphic in two places to mean two different things. The Cross on the main page for your character, next to the project you're on, indicates that you are leaving that project for a while - you stop working on it, and it turns to grey instead of white on your activity page. But the Cross on the activity page which look identical cancels the project completely. This is why I was so confused before. I had tried to pause my project by clicking on the Cross on the activity page, and it had obviously said that I couldn't cancel it as it had been started and/or resources used on it. But if I'd clicked on the Cross on the main page, I'd just have stopped working on that project for the time being without a problem. So - different graphics needed for pause/cancel projects, not just the same one on different pages.

The cross on the main page should be changed to a pause button.
Image instead of Image
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana. - G. Marx
Jos Elkink
Founder Emeritus

Postby Jos Elkink » Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:54 pm

You only pause your participation, though, not the project ... any other suggestions?

I agree in general ;) ... and it's a nice pause button ;) ...
the_antisocial_hermit

Postby the_antisocial_hermit » Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:07 pm

And.. you are breaking from the project. It won't show the project up there after you click it, so essentially, it is a cancel of participation, not a pause (even though many times you go back to it soon). If the project stayed up there, yea, pause would work. Maybe a stop sign or something (that might not be universal enough). I don't have any nice graphics like that to add though. ;)
Glitch! is dead! Long live Glitch!
Remember guys and gals, it's all Pretendy Fun Time Games!
T-shirt

Postby T-shirt » Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:56 pm

Jos Elkink
Founder Emeritus

Postby Jos Elkink » Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:57 pm

Haha, that one is funny ... is that actually clearer? :)

I have no objections at all exchanging those two if you guys want :) ...
psymann

Postby psymann » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:21 pm

Hmm, ok, so you're pausing your participation on it, but not the entire project since someone else could be working on it. Fair point.

How about just a down-arrow, or some sort of exit sign, or something that symbolises "leaving/putting-away" rather than "ending/killing-off/destroying".

Like an eject symbol on a CD player or something along those lines maybe?

Edited after tah's post below:
(my artwork is crappy I know!)

psymann
Last edited by psymann on Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Retired from www.warofempires.com
(psymann, psydkik, psyborg, psyanide on chronicles of the ages v2-v6) and now seeking a peaceful life in Cantr.

Run out of Cantr minutes? Try www.battlemaster.org for more roleplaying fun.
the_antisocial_hermit

Postby the_antisocial_hermit » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:25 pm

Not sure that one is much clearer. The thing that draws my eye to the button is the X. I'd forgotten it had a square around it, until now. A person isn't likely to notice the circle vs the square with the X being the same.
T-shirt

Postby T-shirt » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:42 pm

I personally prefer Image.

The project might not be paused entirely, but your participation to it is. Later you are allowed to continue on that project (if it still exists).
the_antisocial_hermit

Postby the_antisocial_hermit » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:57 pm

I really don't like either of those (meaning-wise, the graphics are nice).. neither seem to fit to me. You're not pausing (not when the project disappears from the spot it was holding) or ejecting (at least, ejection doesn't really sound right) your participation, you're quitting/stopping your participation, no matter how brief. To me, if it shows pause, I ought to be able to click on that pause button to unpause it (make it look like it's playing) and the project name/progress would never have left its spot by the char information very similar to a music program. So.. it just doesn't seem right.

Stop seems better, because it conveys that you can stop without cancelling. I just don't know what would convey stop that would be universal. An outspread hand, maybe? Not sure if that is much more universal than a stop sign, though I'm sure some. I do prefer the pause to the ejection though.

I'd like to hear opinions from other people, too... *tries to wait patiently for others to appear online and give some input*
T-shirt

Postby T-shirt » Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:11 pm

Stop.
psymann

Postby psymann » Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:12 pm

*has no patience*
I like it.

psymann
Retired from www.warofempires.com

(psymann, psydkik, psyborg, psyanide on chronicles of the ages v2-v6) and now seeking a peaceful life in Cantr.

Run out of Cantr minutes? Try www.battlemaster.org for more roleplaying fun.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:26 pm

The shadows on the pause button are too dark. It makes it look like the bars are higher.
Not-so-sad panda
the_antisocial_hermit

Postby the_antisocial_hermit » Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:36 pm

T-shirt wrote:Image

Stop.

Haha, shame on me... didn't think of that sort of stop symbol, even with all the other models on electronic buttons. I like it.
T-shirt

Postby T-shirt » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:08 pm

SekoETC wrote:The shadows on the pause button are too dark. It makes it look like the bars are higher.

I don't know how the graphics are done and by whom. I just tried to copy the general layout and style.
Surly

Postby Surly » Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:01 am

If we changed to the stop button, could it be possible to have the X appear whenever the project hits 0% and we actually can cancel it?

Just makes life slightly easier...
Formerly known as "The Surly Cantrian"
Former CD chair, former MD chair, former RD member, former Personnel Officer, former GAB member.

Return to “Likely Suggestions”