Sawmill, wood saw, chainsaw...

Threads moved from Suggestions for suggestions that are likely, but are awaiting approval and implementation.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Obcy

Postby Obcy » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:49 am

Make Chainsaw also usable with timber, please.
What about making usable a wood saw/saw?
Xyu

Postby Xyu » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:29 pm

I like that idea about cuting timber into wood.
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:05 pm

Originally I just wanted say that I would also like to see a way of making timber into wood. Wood gathering rates are even with the best tools quite low and making it from timber would be a nice high-tech way to increase that (due to the very high gathering rates of timber).

Now that I read this thread, it came to my mind that chainsaws could very elegantly be implemented as portable machines. Of course it had to be checked if wood or timber were, in fact, present at that location, but I guess that's possible when you consider that such checks are performed before you start building certain machines.
The reason why it shouldn't be a regular tool is that we could include fuel consumption this way. (drop chainsaw -> select project "harvest wood (petrol)" -> add petrol -> pick up chainsaw -> join project)
Pretty in pink.
Andu

Postby Andu » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:00 pm

Piscator wrote:Originally I just wanted say that I would also like to see a way of making timber into wood. Wood gathering rates are even with the best tools quite low and making it from timber would be a nice high-tech way to increase that (due to the very high gathering rates of timber).

Now that I read this thread, it came to my mind that chainsaws could very elegantly be implemented as portable machines. Of course it had to be checked if wood or timber were, in fact, present at that location, but I guess that's possible when you consider that such checks are performed before you start building certain machines.
The reason why it shouldn't be a regular tool is that we could include fuel consumption this way. (drop chainsaw -> select project "harvest wood (petrol)" -> add petrol -> pick up chainsaw -> join project)

I agree that it should be high-tech, and not the everyday iron project.
"An those with little fuel, could tie a pack of bears in front of their limousine, with whip and crossbow in hands to keep them in line."
SekoETC

Re: Sawmill, wood saw, chainsaw...

Postby SekoETC » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:20 am

*Bump* When is this going to get implemented?
Not-so-sad panda
Mr. Bones

Postby Mr. Bones » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:38 pm

Let me check on it's status.

Edit: There was no official thread devoted to it (a common thing for older suggestions), but I found an appropriate thread to bump and add this link.

I've recently been going through these older accepted suggestions to make sure they all have threads in the Development forums, I'll get them all a thread eventually.
EchoMan

Postby EchoMan » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:23 pm

I think that stuff that was approved more than 3 years ago should probably be bumped here first. Many things have happened in Cantr lately, and some of the accepted ones may not apply any longer.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:58 pm

Now that fuels exist, it shouldn't be that difficult to implement chainsaws. Just another portable machine.
Not-so-sad panda
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:04 pm

Do we really need to make wood easier to obtain? I'm against. It'll really kill forest economies.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:49 pm

Not everybody can be bothered to make fuel, so I don't think it would ruin things. I think the trade rates would stay the same but some people could make a profit by using fuel.
Not-so-sad panda
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:11 pm

That argument is only valid if people are currently not charging drilled rates on hematite. Since I haven't needed to trade for that in RL years, I don't know if that's the case or not.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:19 am

My experience is that people use pickaxe rates. Once I had to sell coal with intermediate rates but could still make some profit.
Not-so-sad panda
Mr. Bones

Postby Mr. Bones » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:29 am

EchoMan wrote:I think that stuff that was approved more than 3 years ago should probably be bumped here first. Many things have happened in Cantr lately, and some of the accepted ones may not apply any longer.

If you decide on something like this, please let me know.

Return to “Likely Suggestions”