Sawmill, wood saw, chainsaw...

Threads moved from Suggestions for suggestions that are likely, but are awaiting approval and implementation.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Sicofonte

Sawmill, wood saw, chainsaw...

Postby Sicofonte » Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:39 pm

Anyway, a machine for collecting wood faster or getting more slots to collect wood (and timber, maybe)

That was mentioned before in this post:
http://forum.cantr.org/viewtopic.php?t=2862&start=22

In the german/spanish island there is only three points where to get wood, all close together, and with few slots. There is plenty of people (chars) arguing about it, and lots of people thinking what or how to do in order to get some wood.

I think it´s a good moment to "develop" a new way of getting wood.

The woodsaw is still useless?. Then, it could be another tool, at least for collecting timber.

A chainsaw, needing a little engine, steel, iron, rubber and several tools for its implementation, could gets twice the wood than with an axe (1200 or 1500). But it would be a tool itself, not a "machine", and therefore there would be the same amount of slots.

The sawmill... genial, isn´t it? It would be a machine (only outside, preferable in places with wood and/or timber), needing lots of wood (5000?), iron (1000) and steel (1000). And it could allow projects for collecting wood or timber, at similar rates as with an axe. And maybe the workers on that projects must have and axe or a wood saw.

I hope you like it!
Tyche es una malparida. Espero que Ramnus y Pluto intervengan... o no :P
wichita
Administrator Emeritus

Postby wichita » Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:31 pm

Chainsaw was once in the works. It could be added quickly with some modification to the direction it was going previously.

I have also considered a sawmill, though I can't remember putting it through RD discussion. Basically, a wood/timber harvester.

Wood saw could/should be added as a tool.

The bottom line is I am not sure how much more efficient wood gathering can be before it becomes to easy. Wood already seems fairly comfortable at the levels I see it moving in the game (Swedish no-forest island aside). I am concerned with what might happen to the wood trade with even more of it being plucked from the ground.
"Y-O-U! It's just two extra letters! Come on, people! This is the internet, not a barn!" --Kid President
Wilmer Bordonado

Re: Sawmill, wood saw, chainsaw...

Postby Wilmer Bordonado » Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:43 pm

Sicofonte wrote:Anyway, a machine for collecting wood faster or getting more slots to collect wood (and timber, maybe)

That was mentioned before in this post:
http://www.cantr.net/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 2&start=22

In the german/spanish island there is only three points where to get wood, all close together, and with few slots. There is plenty of people (chars) arguing about it, and lots of people thinking what or how to do in order to get some wood.

I think it´s a good moment to "develop" a new way of getting wood.

You're right, but wood is not so far away from the spanish area, by a short ship journey.

Sicofonte wrote:The woodsaw is still useless?. Then, it could be another tool, at least for collecting timber.

A chainsaw, needing a little engine, steel, iron, rubber and several tools for its implementation, could gets twice the wood than with an axe (1200 or 1500). But it would be a tool itself, not a "machine", and therefore there would be the same amount of slots.

If new tools are implemented to gathered wood, the result would be an increase on those charries who could gather wood, consequently, more people wanting to work on those few slots.

Sicofonte wrote:The sawmill... genial, isn´t it? It would be a machine (only outside, preferable in places with wood and/or timber), needing lots of wood (5000?), iron (1000) and steel (1000). And it could allow projects for collecting wood or timber, at similar rates as with an axe. And maybe the workers on that projects must have and axe or a wood saw.

As far as I understood, the sawmill would be a machine for gathering wood at the same rate of an axe, but it could be used still when there's no slots available... Am I right? Well, if so, I don't ever heard about ans extra-slot machine use, and I don't know if it's technically possible.

Wilmer B.
SI A LA VIDA, NO A LAS PAPELERAS!
http://www.noalapapelera.com.ar
YES TO LIFE, NO TO PULP MILLS!
http://chrislang.blogspot.com/2006_08_31_chrislang_archive.html
Talapus

Postby Talapus » Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:20 am

I think that a machine that can turn timber into wood (a sawmill) would be a more appropriate way to boost wood production, and a more interesting way as well.
formerly known as hf

Postby formerly known as hf » Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:40 am

I think the best way to implement this, and I think a 'wood harvester' of some kind is due, would be to, quite substantially, reduce the no-tool gathering rate, and increase the rates with tools.

Gathering wood of small amounts is very easy in real life, you just snap some branches.
But gathering enough for a boat, beyond maybe a canoe, should not really be feasible by collection by hand.

For some throw-away values:
By hand: 100g/day
Adze: 300g/day
3/4 Axe: 600g/day
Axe: 900g/day
Hand-saw: 1100g/day
Sawmill: 2000g/day

And yes to a sawmill also being able to turn timber to wood...
Whoever you vote for.

The government wins.
Sicofonte

Postby Sicofonte » Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:56 pm

Talapus wrote:I think that a machine that can turn timber into wood (a sawmill) would be a more appropriate way to boost wood production, and a more interesting way as well.

Yeah! I like it.

The project for collecting wood in the sawmill... I think it should need a hand-saw for any participant, or... what about a "two-men-wood-saw"? (I don´t know the name), it would be a machine in the same way as the anvil (but only for outside). The project would need two men in order to progress (is it a programming problem?).
About the problem with the possible unballancing of the wood economy, if the sawmill is only possible to build in forest, and only once, giving just two extra slots (in the same way as the harvester of carrots or the drill for coal), and producing a reasonable amount of wood, the impact can´t be serious.

Changing the subject... timber are... timber, yeah? trees, trunks... how are the people transporting that from town to town? just drawing it along the path? :lol:
wichita
Administrator Emeritus

Postby wichita » Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:44 pm

formerly known as hf wrote:I think the best way to implement this, and I think a 'wood harvester' of some kind is due, would be to, quite substantially, reduce the no-tool gathering rate, and increase the rates with tools.

Doesn't RD usually get yelled at for suggesting changes like this? :lol:

I also feel a wood harvestor is long overdue, but am still having my reservations. I am also thinking about how wood from timber fits into the plans for timber (which were never completely spelled out to me, I just know that every decision I have ever made regarding timber completely undermined whatever intentions the department had for it at the time.....)
"Y-O-U! It's just two extra letters! Come on, people! This is the internet, not a barn!" --Kid President
Mykey

Postby Mykey » Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:08 pm

formerly known as hf wrote:I think the best way to implement this, and I think a 'wood harvester' of some kind is due, would be to, quite substantially, reduce the no-tool gathering rate, and increase the rates with tools.

Gathering wood of small amounts is very easy in real life, you just snap some branches.
But gathering enough for a boat, beyond maybe a canoe, should not really be feasible by collection by hand.

For some throw-away values:
By hand: 100g/day
Adze: 300g/day
3/4 Axe: 600g/day
Axe: 900g/day
Hand-saw: 1100g/day
Sawmill: 2000g/day

And yes to a sawmill also being able to turn timber to wood...

I love this whole suggestion, and I think it should be done for more than wood. Without proper tools, and storage. It is really inconceiveable to gather so much resources.
I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.
wichita
Administrator Emeritus

Postby wichita » Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:17 pm

Moved to Accepted. I like the idea of a sawmill/chainsaw. Everyone else likes it.

I am not accepting, however, the suggestion to revolutionize gathering rates. I would like to hold off turning the economy upside down anymore than we have to.
Phalynx

Postby Phalynx » Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:20 pm

wichita wrote: I would like to hold off turning the economy upside down anymore than we have to.

Ah sweet sanity!
Mykey

Postby Mykey » Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:30 pm

X_v_X wrote:
wichita wrote: I would like to hold off turning the economy upside down anymore than we have to.

Ah sweet sanity!

:P
I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.
wichita
Administrator Emeritus

Postby wichita » Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:33 pm

Yes yes, believe it or not we actually do think about things before we change them. ;)
Rusalka

Postby Rusalka » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:15 am

But I have to say, that Sawmill is for processing wood, not for gathering it.

The best thing in RL for chopping down trees is chainsaw...
Artur wrote:ja chce miec fabryke i czarnuchow w niej a nie dom z ogrodkiem kurna i nie zycze sobie zeby mnie ktos pouczal o graniu w cantr qrka
Sicofonte

Postby Sicofonte » Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:10 pm

Ok, then see that, please:

CHAINSAW

Tool / Weapon (holdable item).

Used to collect wood at 1000/1500 gr. a day (skill: foresting)

Weight 1750 gr.
Visible.
Attack 35.
Rot
Rapair rate

Labour required: 5 days
Resources requirements:
- 50 gr. oil
- 50 gr. iron
Objects required:
- Hand-machine engine
- Sawmill frame
- Sawmill chain
Tools needed: hammer, pincers

New engine:

Hand-machine engine (more or less half a bike motor):
Resources required:
- 500 gr. iron
- 50 gr. rubber
- 50 gr. magnesium
Tools required: screwdriver, pincers, hammer, anvil.

New semi-finished products:

Sawmill frame
Resources required:
- 750 gr. steel
- 200 gr. iron
Tools required: wrench, hammer, anvil.

Sawmill chain
Labour required: 4 days
Resources required:
- 150 gr. steel
Tools required: peen hammer, chisel, steel flatter, set hammer.

SAWMILL

Machine, only outside in a place with wood.

Resources required:
- 5000 gr. timber
- 500 gr. iron
Objects required:
- two steel lathe blade
Labour required:
- 20 days
Tools required:
- axe
- hammer
- screwdriver
- knife

Projects (maximum number of workers: 2)

* Saw timber into wood:
Output per day: 3000
Maximum output: 300000
Required resources: 6000
Required tools: saw or wood saw.

* Saw timber into small/medium/large logs...
(In the same way as with the "Lathe with a steel blade", or maybe a bit better)
Sicofonte

Postby Sicofonte » Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:51 pm

*bump*

I know of some forests in the Ger/Spa island where the wood is difficult to get even when all the slots occupied by people with axes. We do need machines/tools to increase the output. Please, don't forget this suggestion :oops:

Return to “Likely Suggestions”