Practice Pell

Threads moved from Suggestions for suggestions that are likely, but are awaiting approval and implementation.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Marian

Postby Marian » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:14 pm

I think this is a good idea, and I agree with whoever said it should be a project you do with furniture, if that would be easier to do. It's not like "YOu see a man in his twenties awkwardly hitting a practice pell with a bone spear" is that much more interesting anyway, and if you wanted to RP practiceing you still can.

But either way we definitely need a better way to practice fighting. You just don't enough chances to improve otherwise, even if there wasn't tiredness or the one hit a day rule. Look how hard it is to get better at hunting, and that's with hitting several animals a day, every day. If fightign is improved at the same rate then right now you have no chance and are stuck with what you spawn with.
Phalynx

Postby Phalynx » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:31 pm

Its a damn fine idea, if you are in a town with no healing food then training is quite dangerous and as Marian says, though we do it I have yet to see a verifiable improvement

(from an awkward guardsman)
R.I.P:
Blake Stone, Jizz Bucket, Patterson Queasley, Billy Sherwood, Chavlet D'Arcy, Johnson.
Chris Johnson

Postby Chris Johnson » Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:33 am

The idea to implement the Practise Pell as a special verison of furniture which allows training projects has been accepted
N-Aldwitch

Postby N-Aldwitch » Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:59 am

SekoETC wrote:Well, this topic clearly went off topic right off the bat, but I seriously want punching bags in game. I don't care how much they cost, at least one of my charries simply gotta have one or she'll eventually start punching people without warning.

I propose 2000 grams of leather for the bag and it would be filled with sand. 10000 grams would make a nice round number. Maybe add in a bit of iron for the chain to hang it from the ceiling.

The skill this would mainly improve is physical strenght. Fighting skill would be secondary, since hitting a stationary object is very different from living, moving targets.

Practicing should be project based and the lenght of the project would be one hour, without chance of multiplying. This way people couldn't set their character on training mode for days.

Read what Seko's said here- put it this way, it will finally give Sand a good god damn use for the carless (or too poor to construct one)! :D

Perhaps we can increase how much sand is required, because Sand is gathered WAY to much in towns that have it, as it is.. :P
Nakranoth's "evil" character says:
"Thief! That's terrible! *shakes his head* That would hurt people's feeling if I did that."

http://www.sylorn.com - Free MMORPG in development.. need help.
wichita
Administrator Emeritus

Postby wichita » Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:31 am

Having moved one for a friend of mine last summer, I think a metric ton of sand is reasonable. ;)
"Y-O-U! It's just two extra letters! Come on, people! This is the internet, not a barn!" --Kid President
psymann

Postby psymann » Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:05 pm

Ok, a different slant on this that expands it further...

I've just posted another post that's been rejected as being too similar to this one, so I'm moving my ideas here...
[ old post was here: http://www.cantr.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11199 ]

The similarity here is that I am suggesting that you can do a project, mostly involving tools and/or people, that improve your skills a little - only I was thinking of it improving all your skills, not just fighting. Or it could improve physical strength, or whatever - see below!

=========

Suggestion A:
- make sports equipment in Cantr

Suggestion B:
- make it more than cosmetic by introducing Fitness

Sports equipment.
I know that some of these sports maybe weren't invented at the time of bone spears, but then nor were radios, so am hoping that might not be a problem.

I'd like to be able to make, for example:

Wooden badminton racquet
- wood
- sinew
- can be carried

Metal badminton racquet
- aluminium or steel
- sinew
- leather (for handle)
- can be carried

Shuttlecock
- feathers
- rubber (or maybe wood (cork actually but we don't have that) as an alternative)
- can be carried

Simple cricket bat
- wood
- can be carried

Good cricket bat
- wood
- string (for handle)
- rubber (for handle)
- can be carried

Cricket ball, Football, Rugby ball
- leather
- can be carried

Long Jump Pit
- sand
- wood
- can not be carried, must be built at location

-----

NEW!:

Tug of War Rope
- thick rope (if we can make thick rope, if not, then medium rope)
- can be carried

Adapted from Seko:

Weight lifting bench
- 800 grams of leather
- 500 grams of cotton (for padding)
- around a kilo of iron
- Tools: screwdriver, needle, bodkin
- can not be carried, must be built at location

Then the weights should be made separately of iron. But the problem is that in Cantr, iron is so damn hard to get, who wants to waste five kilos on a small weight? So maybe the plates would be made of stone and only the bar would be of iron.
Another problem is Cantrians cannot lift over 15 kilos even for a split second, no matter how strong they are.

Piscator said: Perhaps you could increase it using the bench.

-----

- and I'm sure people can think of others. Ok, so that is just something nice for me to make. That would be a nice start and give me something else to RP with. Now for making it useful...

Fitness

A character could build up fitness (maybe this would just improve his physical strength, maybe it would improve his ability at all skills a little, maybe it would reduce his damage, I will leave to others to pick the best option).

To build up fitness, you would have a project to Play Sport - for example:

Play Badminton
- would need 2 to 4 people on the project for it to do any good
- all would need a racquet
- one would need a shuttlecock

Play Football
- would need at least 8 people on the project for it to do any good
- one would need a football

Play Cricket
- would need at least 6 people on the project for it to do any good
- two would need a cricket bat
- one would need a cricket ball
- would improve fitness a little if one owned cricket gloves (add to clothing list)

Dance
- only requires one person
- requires no equipment

Run
- requires no equipment

Long Jump
- would need to be a long jump pit at location

-----

NEW!:

Tug of War
- requires four or more people
- one of them would need the Tug of War Rope

Adapted from Seko:

Weightlifting
- would need one person (but someone could help that person and improve them, so two people maximum)
- would need to be a weight-lifting bench built at location

Doing push-ups
No equipment needed.

Doing sit-ups
Needs a second person to hold on to your ankles, or alternatively some sort of a bench. If it were an adjustable bench, then you could make the training more efficient.

-----

Each hour you do this, your fitness improves and your tiredness gets worse. So in effect, if you are not tired, you can use some of your energy to improve your fitness - and depending on the option chosen, this would either improve your skills a bit, or your physical strength, or reduce your damage, or do something else beneficial.

psymann
Marian

Postby Marian » Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:46 pm

Ooh, I'd forgotten all about this topic. I hope a practice pell gets implemented soon, and a punching bag to like Seko seggested.

The pell could be wood and hide and a little iron to hold it all together, and the bag leather and salt with a little iron for a chain, like she said, but they'd both do the exact same thing, they'd just use different resources so more towns would be able to build them.

And please please please can we have a set of weights? Psymann's suggestion is fine, but actually it doesn't matter how expensive it is, there has got to be some way to train your strength. It's like the most important skill in the entire game and has a lot to do with whether you're even remotely capable of running a town or not, even fighting doesn't matter compared to it.

Return to “Likely Suggestions”