getting items from people killed on road

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after rejection

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Marian

getting items from people killed on road

Postby Marian » Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:30 am

When you kill someone on the road, it's really a pain to have the stuff they're carrying go back to the town they came from, not to mention unrealistic. I think everything that fits should go into the inventory of the person that killed them, tools first and then resources.

Otherwise half the time you kill one thief just to have another thief grab their stuff before you can make it back to town.
tiddy ogg

Postby tiddy ogg » Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:59 am

This always been a strange thing, and it's presumably due to programming difficulties, but maybe when free roaming is introduced...
The downside is, that all the roads will be strewn with debris and dead bodies if they don't all roll downhill to the last town.
Phalynx

Re: getting items from people killed on road

Postby Phalynx » Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:48 am

Marian wrote:When you kill someone on the road, ......I think everything that fits should go into the inventory of the person that killed them, tools first and then resources.

Surely this was meant for the spoof suggestions?
Such a change would only benefit strong criminals...
R.I.P:
Blake Stone, Jizz Bucket, Patterson Queasley, Billy Sherwood, Chavlet D'Arcy, Johnson.
docent

Postby docent » Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:07 am

Phalynx in PZ (polish Zone) we han't lots of them :) Higher ammount of criminals may help in keeping activity of guards :)
wichita
Administrator Emeritus

Postby wichita » Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:16 pm

But my character that sits at the end of a long and winding road really enjoys picking up all of the goodies from starving/murdered mesospawns. :D
"Y-O-U! It's just two extra letters! Come on, people! This is the internet, not a barn!" --Kid President
Marian

Re: getting items from people killed on road

Postby Marian » Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:38 pm

Phalynx wrote:
Marian wrote:When you kill someone on the road, ......I think everything that fits should go into the inventory of the person that killed them, tools first and then resources.

Surely this was meant for the spoof suggestions?
Such a change would only benefit strong criminals...

Plenty of newspawns stabbing at me with bone knives, and even more grab and run thieves who refuse to turn around, but I have yet to see a 'strong criminal' on the road. So maybe it would benefit a few killers, but it would benefit towns and their guards a lot more.
Nakranoth

Postby Nakranoth » Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:16 am

Besides, isn't Cantr about being able to do what you should be able to do? Okay, Highwayman becomes a viable profession... but then, real life has/had highwaymen. By not allowing it, all you're really doing is limiting the types of charecters that are able to be created and played.
Zanthos

Postby Zanthos » Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:22 pm

I've always thought it weird that you couldn't give items to another player while traveling, even when you two are next to eachother. Or maybe you can and im just crazy
Person: Akamada doesnt control the animals.
You see a wild boar attack Person.
Person: I still dont believe you.

<Spill> Oh, I enjoy every sperm to the fullest.
formerly known as hf

Postby formerly known as hf » Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:57 am

From what I've heard, most of the difficulties in implementing things whilst travelling are linked to how travelling is coded and programmed. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but all projects and items have a location associated with them - a town, a building, a vehicle - but 'travelling' can not be a location, which is why items end up at the nearest town.
Whoever you vote for.

The government wins.
Chris Johnson

Postby Chris Johnson » Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:42 am

hallucinatingfarmer wrote:From what I've heard, most of the difficulties in implementing things whilst travelling are linked to how travelling is coded and programmed. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but all projects and items have a location associated with them - a town, a building, a vehicle - but 'travelling' can not be a location, which is why items end up at the nearest town.

Close ... Travelling is a location but a special one - shared by all travellers - (which is why all travellers sometimes see ghost activities - when certain actions lose their location for one reason or another).
Zanthos

Postby Zanthos » Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:12 pm

So with the current coding, if a project were going while traveling, all travelers could work on it regardless of where they are on the road?

Talapus

Postby Talapus » Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:16 pm

Zanthos wrote:So with the current coding, if a project were going while traveling, all travelers could work on it regardless of where they are on the road?

And if you didn't finish the project before you reached the next town, the project would stay out there on the road. I wonder where the results from such a project would go?
Nakranoth

Postby Nakranoth » Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:39 am

Then in order to "fix" it the ProgD would have to be able to associate something to the location of a person, instead of where that person is when it is started? This would of course mean that the weight of the carried project would not be removed from your inventory.

Then, maybe the only way you could work together on it is if you see the other person and you the help icon.
Scratch and sniff text
Zanthos

Postby Zanthos » Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:42 am

Well, I would make it that the only way you two could work on it is if they were next to eachother. So leave at the same time and match speed. Simple as that, assuming that this were implimented that is.

Sho

Postby Sho » Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:02 am

That still requires that ProgD completely overhaul the projects system to allow projects to be associated with characters (or to arbitrary moving points on paths), and add stuff to let characters work on their neighbors' projects. And never mind the exceptions you'd have to make for various special cases - walking in and out of towns and building/machine projects in particular. Seems like too much work for a change with no obvious purpose - sure, it might be nice to be able to do this, but does it make Cantr more enjoyable or more interesting in the wide view?

Return to “Rejected Suggestions”