Lending of tools and weapons - Implementation idea

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after rejection

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Songthrush

Lending of tools and weapons - Implementation idea

Postby Songthrush » Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:41 am

I would like to propose the following implementation for lending. I think a good feature of this type has potential to totally re-invigorate the game in many commercial fields.

Currently when one clicks on the "Give" icon, we see a drop down box:

Person to give the object to: [ Bob Dawson ] [^]

I would like to simply amend this to look like this:

Person to give the object to: [ Bob Dawson ] [^]
[o] For the duration: [ ] Days.

So we have a little optional "Duration" checkbox, which is off by default, but if you turn it on, then the item you give to that person will automatically disappear from their inventory and reappear in yours at the end of the number of days specified there.

Effect in the Events page:

All see:

1403: You see Tom lending a new pickaxe to Bob Dawson.

Tom:

1403: You lend a new pickaxe to Bob Dawson for 10 days.

Bob:

1403: Tom lends you a new pickaxe for 10 days.

What do the Prog D folks think. How hard would it be with the existing codebase to pull that off?

Everything, in my opinion, should be "lendable", including resources. If resources are used up by Bob Dawson while he has them, then obviously you don't get them back. If Bob drops the pickaxe somewhere and someone else picks it up, then irregardless of this, it still disappears and returns into Tom's possession at the end of 10 days. Such objects could in future be marked with a [loan from Tom] type tag in the inventory page, but this is not critical to the idea itself.

Another tricky case is if the lender cannot accept the return because his inventory is full. In these cases I propose the game should automatically leave the pickaxe with Bob Dawson for another 10 days (the original lending period that Tom specified).
TatteredShoeLace

Postby TatteredShoeLace » Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:56 am

People welsh on deals, people jump bail, etc. I don't like this idea because lending is something that can be done very easily in game.
1223-4: You kill a elephant using a longbow.

Nick wrote:If you don't check your characters once a day, you're not going anywhere in Cantr. :P
El_Skwidd

Postby El_Skwidd » Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:33 am

I agree. Lending of tools has always been taken care of by negotiation between characters. Programming it would take some opportunity out of the game and make for weird ghostly situations where your tools vanish in the middle of mining.
Cdls wrote:Explaining Cantr to a newb would be like explaining sex to a virgin.

Let the world hear these words once more:
Save us, oh Lord, from the wrath of the Norsemen!
Leo Luncid

Postby Leo Luncid » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:24 am

Same here. I bet Jos agrees as well, 'cause I heard he doesn't like automation.
Notice how weak and petty we are / In the grand fixture we come afar / Hey we can't help it / No denying the prerequisite for love / Your very existence / You're the source of my substenance / Slow down take your time and feel the / Flow
marol

Postby marol » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:46 am

I'm against this idea, the reasons are written above.
Okud

Postby Okud » Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:46 am

Never gonna happen. It would be difficult to program and it's automation.
Why don't you solve it IG? Like, instead of "Could you lend me a hammer to build my shield" say "Could you build my shield please?"
Reality is that which when you stop believing in it does not go away. (Philip K. Dick)
Amlin

Postby Amlin » Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:18 am

I disagree with this suggestion... How you imagine this automatic returning in RL?
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:39 am

This has been suggested before!
Not-so-sad panda
BlueNine

Postby BlueNine » Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:52 pm

Definitely against this for above reasons and it doesn't let the trixy people run away with all your tools if you're too trusting!
Lying in the depths of your imagination, worlds above and worlds below, you can tell a man from what he has to say
The Industriallist

Postby The Industriallist » Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:16 pm

Completely in violation of both logic and realism.

The game has no ownership mechanic, and never should have one.
"If I can be a good crackhead, I can be a good Christian"

-A subway preacher
TatteredShoeLace

Postby TatteredShoeLace » Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:38 pm

Now lets see how to make a lemon into lemonade.

Engraving.

http://www.cantr.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6330

'Tom's Pickaxe -1304' Is a much better way to mark property. And as we have the eye ball option to view clothes and such, perhaps an eye on your own engraved items will allow you to see who etched it.

So Tom demands that Bill has his pickaxe, and when Tom gets it into his hands he can point out his name is on it.

Nick wrote:If you don't check your characters once a day, you're not going anywhere in Cantr. :P
swymir

Postby swymir » Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:40 am

Also don't like this. If someone doesn't give back your item after a certain time, you have to deal with it IC.
"My mind works like lightning, one brilliant flash and it's gone."
TatteredShoeLace

Postby TatteredShoeLace » Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:47 am

So you're saying engraving your property is not an IG solution to marking objects? Odd.

swymir

Postby swymir » Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:01 am

That's not what I was saying. I was regarding the earlier topic. I supported engraving objects years ago when it was first introduced to the forums.
"My mind works like lightning, one brilliant flash and it's gone."
wichita
Administrator Emeritus

Postby wichita » Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:54 am

SekoETC wrote:This has been suggested before!
Seko suggested it before and it was wholeheartedly shot down, I believe. Sorry, Seko. :( And yes this will never be implemented as it is solveable via negotiation in the main spirit of the game so let's just stop talking about it now, lock the thread, whatever.
"Y-O-U! It's just two extra letters! Come on, people! This is the internet, not a barn!" --Kid President

Return to “Rejected Suggestions”