Queueing projects

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after rejection

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Thetaris

Queueing projects

Postby Thetaris » Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:10 am

So imagine if you could queue projects. Once you finish your hammer, you automatically begin work on your cottage.

Just thought of it recently when I finished a hammer, couldn't log on to Cantr for a long time, and missed out on starting my cottage early.

This way, for short projects like my Lionsu Tilvritch (who had planned on making 10 or so bone knives for his ex-home town), it would come in handy, particularly for repairers who are working for someone and want to repair a list of things in reasonably good time.
Evolution is unconformity.
Sho

Postby Sho » Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:13 am

Automation generally gets rejected off the bat: http://www.cantr.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=106341#106341 is authoritative. I've been having trouble finding a thread I remember where Jos went into some detail about why automation was bad. Perhaps it doesn't exist and I'm just hallucinating memories again.
Thetaris

Postby Thetaris » Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:32 am

Thanks for finding that, it's pretty relevant. Um... Well, the automatic system in place for my proposal would simply be a 2-queue-up system. As in, you'd start a project, and then you'd click a button to queue only one more item.

I'd propose this:
-Can only be used on projects
-Can only queue up one thing (you don't need any more- once one finishes, log on, add another)
-Would not be usable in any form of thievery

I mean, it's just kind of dumb not having it in. For example, an argument against this would be, 'A thief with a crowbar could log in, begin a queue project to break 2 locks, and every so often when a lock is broken, add another project!'.
But I say to this, if you really wanted, you could log on for two minutes, crack a lock, predict when it finishes, log on again at that time, and do it again! And continue that!

This would only be useful to the good, respectable RPing players of Cantr, (those non-suicidal newspawn players) and thieves would find little use for it.

It would benefit more than half of my characters right now, AND! would get many people off the ProgD's back about repair times!
Nalaris

Postby Nalaris » Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:46 pm

Unless it's difficult to program it sounds good. I say yes.
Thetaris

Postby Thetaris » Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:13 pm

Lol, if they'd like, I could program it for them...
Although I'd need to know the variables etc.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:47 pm

If queuing was only available for projects that last less than a day? Since there are players who log in only once a day and for example burying corpses, which takes around 2 hours without a shovel, would only take a little bit of the day while 6 Cantr hours would go in idleness.
Not-so-sad panda
Thetaris

Postby Thetaris » Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:18 am

That's a better idea. So queueing tasks for mini-projects.
wichita
Administrator Emeritus

Postby wichita » Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:40 am

I agree with adding it to mini projects like burials, and certain fixed projects like grilling that have a duration of 1/2 day without the option to be set up as repeating, perhaps even repairs. Everything else though should be manageable enough as is.
"Y-O-U! It's just two extra letters! Come on, people! This is the internet, not a barn!" --Kid President
Hellzon

Postby Hellzon » Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:24 am

I seem to agree with wichita a fair bit today... :)
[21:35] Sunni: no peeing on people in chat!
Thetaris

Postby Thetaris » Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:19 am

Oh good, a staff member agrees.

Anyway, it's almost nieve nieve not to have it in, really.
Sicofonte

Postby Sicofonte » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:13 pm

Finally rejected: most players and staff members don't like the idea of automation, except por short-term projects, and there is an older suggestion about that.
Tyche es una malparida. Espero que Ramnus y Pluto intervengan... o no :P

Return to “Rejected Suggestions”