Dying time. [DUPLICATE]

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after rejection

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Crosshair

Dying time. [DUPLICATE]

Postby Crosshair » Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:32 pm

1296:3 A man in his thirties Mortally wounds you with a sabre

A lottery, so to speak, you have 100% damage, and you will die within a fixed time, but it gives you time to RP a bit if its an appropriate time, say goodbyes and all. Improves RP,

1296-3 you say: "*he coughs, blood oozing from his mouth* Agh..... Its my end, Just tell em, that i tried for em.... *he puts his hand up to ____* Dont leave me.... Dont.... I cant see you..."

Sometimes its just rightout killed. could that be implemented?

Duplicate of this one: http://www.cantr.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1994
[url=http://dragcave.net/view/tvkg][img]http://dragcave.net/image/tvkg.gif[/img][/url]

[url=http://dragcave.net/view/RgKP][img]http://dragcave.net/image/RgKP.gif[/img][/url]
Floyd

Postby Floyd » Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:39 pm

Love It
Schme wrote:We all knew it was going to happen sooner or later, and most likely sooner. When you have such a lifestyle, everyone, including yourself, knows that you are likely to die.
melbi

Re: Dying time.

Postby melbi » Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:47 pm

Crosshair wrote:... it gives you time to RP a bit if its an appropriate time, say goodbyes and all. Improves RP...

What is an appropriate time? One real-life day?
Floyd

Postby Floyd » Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:59 pm

Dunno.. but if you were hit again, you'd obviously just.. die.. lol
Schme wrote:We all knew it was going to happen sooner or later, and most likely sooner. When you have such a lifestyle, everyone, including yourself, knows that you are likely to die.
A Neo Irony

Postby A Neo Irony » Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:48 pm

I could have sworn this has been mentioned before. I thought the problem with it was that for say, newspawn theives, they don't need that extra time to rp and guards want them dead the instant that killing blow is struck. I only half like the idea, because it you have anything to say when you die, you just put it in a note. So it's sort of redundant.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:11 pm

I suggested this a while back but they said no. :evil:
Not-so-sad panda
MrPenguin589

Postby MrPenguin589 » Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:27 pm

maybe it should be like if your damage is over 90 or so, you will continually lose health until you die. 'cause think about it, if your THAT hurt, then you're probably bleeding and going to die soon, so it make sense... i guess...
All of my endings are waiting to begin.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:40 pm

Yes. That would make sense. So if you hit good enough you could still someone quickly but striking them up to 90% would cause them to die slowly. But there should be a way of stopping/slowing down the bleeding.
Not-so-sad panda
Nick

Postby Nick » Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:11 pm

More likely, every killed newspawn thief will start as many projects to waste resources as possible before they die.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:17 pm

If you could only talk and drop objects but not to put them on projects or stuff. Sure they might make a load of noise but you could finish them off faster if you haven't used your daily hit yet.
Not-so-sad panda
nitefyre

Postby nitefyre » Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:32 pm

I think it would have to be a lottery, first off, as suggested. I mean, really random, and in most cases, instantaneous death. Only Hollywood and dramatic plays give that glory factor, which I reckon, more often than not, doesn't happen when you have your head sliced off by a sabre.

I don't think it's all that necessary, considering how it'll take at least 3 hits by the best weapons and unarmored to die, giving you ample time to play or avoid your demise.

And also, it could cause contradictions in roleplay. Let's say the killer goes in with a *he lifts up his claymore and strikes it heavily down on his victim, taking the life from him...etc* It probably causes more problems than it's worth.
Nick

Postby Nick » Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:53 pm

For every one person who gives a "last words" well RPed speech, there will be 100 people who spam and swear.
Two thumbs down.
Nixit

Postby Nixit » Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:12 am

Nitefyre, it only takes two hits in that situation.
Just because you're older, smarter, stronger, more talented... doesn't mean you're BETTER.
Sho

Postby Sho » Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:23 am

I'm against it for the same reasons that everyone who is against it is against it.
nitefyre

Postby nitefyre » Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:57 am

Nixit wrote:Nitefyre, it only takes two hits in that situation.
The rarity of that happening makes it negligible. Especially considering that somebody who probably has something worth saying would probably have a shield of some sorts to slow and deter the process. Also keep in mind that you should probably have a Will written out beforehand, like most real life people do, if you're concerned about whose going to get what.

Consider the big picture:

Positives:
+extended lifespan
+improved RP of dramatic scene?

Negatives:
-unrealistic, unlikely, unnecessary
-costs programming time, effort
-increases likelihood of abuse from note thief

I don't know if many can relate to this example that I'm going to give, but for those who do, will understand. In the final act of Othello (Shakespeare), Desdemona dies by Othello's hand. However, she somehow 'wakes' back up from the dead and talks again. This is fundamentally what such an implementation would be doing. Possible dramatic effect? Yes. Realistic in any Cantr sense? No.

Return to “Rejected Suggestions”