Families, birth, pregnancies - generations

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after rejection

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

*Wiro

Postby *Wiro » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:49 pm

Of course it is, shhh... don't tell em the staff's lazy. ;)
Read about my characters by following this link.
BlueNine

Postby BlueNine » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:21 am

I'm going to throw in an idea...couples have a baby "seed" together after a day long project or so. This stays as a "Baby" object until the parents do a "nurture" project to make it into a "Child" object. At which point it can be given a player (or sentience if you will) at which point it's just a normal newspawn, but with a lineage.

If it turns out to be a crazed newspawn then RP it as some disease (eg: the way the sleeping sickness has come about)...but it might pay to put a lock on that nursery ;)
Lying in the depths of your imagination, worlds above and worlds below, you can tell a man from what he has to say
Rigel Kent

Postby Rigel Kent » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:15 am

i just dont think there is any way to do it. Babies sure, but then what new spawn? that has bad idea sure most would pla alon but other would do all dumb spawn thing.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:31 am

I'm not sure if I managed to decipher your message correctly but I doubt trolls would bother to wait several days or weeks for a baby character to be born and grow old enough to get past the automation/object period just to mess around when they could get instant satisfaction with a newspawn. No one has suggested forcing all the people to start as babies, there would always be newspawns for the impatient ones who want to build a ship right after spawning and sail off to chart the unknown.
Not-so-sad panda
Dudel

Postby Dudel » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:34 am

IN THAT CASE.... I'm cool with it.

If I am NOT forced to be a 'babie' or what-have-you and can still just 'spawn' then I'm cool.

Course I'll have one or two 'babie' characters floating, if only to see 'whats about'.

Okay Seko, I am convinced. If your arguments are at least 70% close to the truth of the situation that will happen, then its all good with me.
QueenofBlades

Postby QueenofBlades » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:47 am

YAY! Now we can has babehs?
lolz
[My main charrie just got out of jail and I'm happeh!]
Ohcrap, JUST had a revelatiopn--we could totally have single parents too, and orphans--like kids who's parents died in pirate raids or a kid who's dad is a sailor (or pirate) and is always out at sea or a kid who's mom or dad got locked up
THERES SO MANY POSSIBILITIES!
:shock:
Sketchified.
joo

Postby joo » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:10 pm

QueenofBlades wrote:Ohcrap, JUST had a revelatiopn--we could totally have single parents too, and orphans--like kids who's parents died in pirate raids or a kid who's dad is a sailor (or pirate) and is always out at sea or a kid who's mom or dad got locked up
THERES SO MANY POSSIBILITIES!
:shock:

That's kind of stating the obvious, but... congratulations on your... revelatiopn. >_>
QueenofBlades

Postby QueenofBlades » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:19 pm

Shaddup I was delirious with happiness. >:[
Sketchified.
Cookie

Postby Cookie » Fri May 15, 2009 8:24 am

How long has this been in the accepted suggestins forum now? I keep coming back every now and again to see if this ever got implemented. Isn't it fair to say this is never going to happen now?
joo

Postby joo » Fri May 15, 2009 9:18 am

It is still planning on being implemented, but it will take a lot of work and planning, so technically it's possible for the game to die before it's implemented, however I do not think that the game will die, so no.

(See, I can make a paragraph out of a sentence.)
QueenofBlades

Postby QueenofBlades » Fri May 15, 2009 6:06 pm

Yes, but you're not supposed to. It's called a run on sentence and rambling. You see what I did there just now? I used 'punk-choo-ay-shun'. :]
Sketchified.
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Fri May 15, 2009 6:15 pm

He used punk-choo-ay-shun, too. And I never heared you're not supposed to use long and complicated sentences. One old teacher of mine is said to have written a complete letter consisting of only one sentence. It's the normal mode of communication for Germans.

But anyway, we're getting off-topic. I really hope that the whole children debate could be reopenend. I'm not sure if the game this suggestion was accepted to, is the same game we're playing now.
Pretty in pink.
Dudel

Postby Dudel » Fri May 15, 2009 6:33 pm

Provided that spawning isn't taken from me I'll not quit if birth etc is implemented. If you can't trust players to feed you normally how can you trust them in such a time as that?

"But FTO... blah blah blah" That wont last very long, sorry. I've limited faith in a system that FORCES players into such a situation. Some other things should be fixed first before this is even LOOKED AT, in my opinion.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Fri May 15, 2009 9:03 pm

I think you can trust people to feed you if you've formed an emotional bond with them, which is something that requires communication, even if it was non-verbal. No one is forced to play FTO, the people who play it are ready to go through the baby stage which is very short. The waiting time is the biggest flaw. Hopefully they can get the breeding population to grow large enough in order to make it work. In Cantr it might actually have a better chance of working since there are already plenty of adult characters, so if enough of them chose to be fertile, characters could get born without having to make players wait any longer than what the pregnancy lasts. But I agree that there are other priorities and I bet nobody in ProgD has been looking at this in three years or so, so people shouldn't fear that there are suddenly going to be babies tomorrow or next month or even this year.
Not-so-sad panda
QueenofBlades

Postby QueenofBlades » Mon May 18, 2009 8:28 am

Argh, but what about those of us who do want it? I have a charrie right now who's development is SO begging for a babe, but that's not gonna happen in her lifetime, so I'm irrimatated.
Also--fertility? What time span are we lookin at here? Men for pretty much their whole lives and women from spawn to 40s/50s? Or what?
Sketchified.

Return to “Rejected Suggestions”