HandCuffs (DUPLICATE of Gagged and Bound)

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after rejection

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Hagan

HandCuffs (DUPLICATE of Gagged and Bound)

Postby Hagan » Wed May 04, 2005 2:00 pm

I think it would be nice to be able to bind the hands off a criminal. make Handcuffs or just use rope and tie their hands where they cant hit you or pick up something else.... of course if they have a knife they could start a cut the rope project or if Handcuffs are made they could use a file to pick the lock project it still could be equalized out but I have had a few times I would of like to of bound the hands of a thief or criminal for a bit to drag them off to jail... or while I had them locked up this could prevent them from sabatoging their cell.. I am sure you can all see the benefits this would have... Handcuffs are a tool of the police and protectors in RL so I think it would be a good tool in RP.... just a quick simple project to cuff someone or tie someone...

Just a thought what does anyone else think
Who wants to be normal...... Normal means you are with the majority.. and I dont want to be with them......
formerly known as hf

Postby formerly known as hf » Wed May 04, 2005 2:32 pm

similar things have been suggested before - I think the main problem is that it'd be difficult to programme them as functional - to require a project to put someone in them. I don;t know if buildings can be programmed that what is said when inside them can be heard outside? If that's the case, then something could be done along those lines maybe, so that characters could be dragged into them... But, prisons do just well at the moment (and you can't hear them... ;))

but, as items of clothing, like the leather collar, to be worn as novelty - that'd be interesting ;)
Whoever you vote for.

The government wins.
Hagan

Postby Hagan » Wed May 04, 2005 2:51 pm

Ok I can see how there could be some programming thought into this... BUT IF
once you have hit someone you cant hit them again .. then what if when your in a hand cuff then it assumes you have already hit everyone.. programming could use some of that code
and WHEN your working on a project you cant work on something else... Programming could use part of that code
Finally when your carrying your max weight you cant pick anything else up so programmers could use part of that code...

SO I am not a master programmer by anymeans and do not know all the constraints on this system but there are enough limits in the game already that surely it could be set up to where if your placed into handcuffs or your hands are bound by a rope tieing project all of the limits could be set to where you couldnt do anything other than possible start an escape project IF you have the tools

Any just sharing my thoughts and Ideas here still
Last edited by Hagan on Thu May 05, 2005 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Who wants to be normal...... Normal means you are with the majority.. and I dont want to be with them......
wichita
Administrator Emeritus

Postby wichita » Wed May 04, 2005 11:55 pm

Sounds interesting. It would add another nice option to law enforcement, especially in situations where there is only one person awake to drag the thief into the prison. I don't know how the code works either, but I like the way you rationalized the mechanical effects.
"Y-O-U! It's just two extra letters! Come on, people! This is the internet, not a barn!" --Kid President
El_Skwidd

Postby El_Skwidd » Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:47 pm

Bump.

I was going to suggest this today, but look! Six topics on the same thing!

Handcuffs, shackles, manacles, or just good ol' fashioned ropes could provide a less deadly approach to simple note thieves and the like. Once the devices were on the target, they could be easier to drag and hit. They couldn't run down the path any more and they couldn't hit you.

However... it could potentially be hard to program. Potentially.
Cdls wrote:Explaining Cantr to a newb would be like explaining sex to a virgin.

Let the world hear these words once more:
Save us, oh Lord, from the wrath of the Norsemen!
formerly known as hf

Postby formerly known as hf » Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:00 pm

El_Skwidd wrote:However... it could potentially be hard to program. Potentially.
No - it IS hard to programme (from what I've heard) and not really something that'd be high on the programming list i guess, considering that lockable buildings do their job as keeping people from moving

I personally am not too sure I like the idea of including any way to immobilise a character, apart from imprisoning them...

(and thanks for the bump :))
Whoever you vote for.

The government wins.
Misty

Postby Misty » Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:21 am

My BF is into cgi scripting, and I talk to him sometimes about some of the things going on in Cantr. We were discussing the handcuff thing, and his response to me was basically:

"why would they make a big project out of it? Why not just put an arrest button on screen and when it is clicked, the criminal is automtically in the handcuffs - untill he or she is unarrested?"

I sort of agree with him. I see a lot of potential for Cantr, and a lot of great ideas, but people seem to want to make things more difficult than they have to be. I think the main goal is to have a fun game that attracts lots of players, and minor things should be kept simple.

Sort of like the suggestions for colors for clothing. What a huge mass of debating over how to put colors in the game. Everything from having to hunt to try to get dies out of animals, to big ol town projects to collect dyes and so forth. When really, color should be a non issue. Just a side luxery of the game. Just stick some inks or dyes in the Location along with the other resources that exist there.

Clothing itself could be a non issue, a side luxery of sorts, if it was wanted to be. A clothing shop could be put in the towns, already stocked with all the latest fashions.

The power and electricity suggestion has caused quite a bit of debate. But power already exists in Cantr, because there are machines that already utilize it. So some non issue side luxery things that use power, could easily be put into the game.

Food gathering should be a non issue. It used to be till someone somewhere thought it should be a big issue.

I guess my point is: In the things I do in real life every day, in my job, in my real projects, I am constantly telling myself "KISS - keep it simple stupid!" And where it comes to Cantr, there are lots of things that could be kept simple, like the handcuffing. I guess it just depends on how difficult Cantr authoritarians want to make things. But if I am running Cantr, then I am looking at making some larger things bigger issues, and smaller things I would try to maintain as non issues - because my focus would be on keeping the overall fun of the game, the main focal point.

:D Just my little ol opinions :lol:
NSA
formerly known as hf

Postby formerly known as hf » Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:14 pm

Misty wrote:"why would they make a big project out of it? Why not just put an arrest button on screen and when it is clicked, the criminal is automtically in the handcuffs - untill he or she is unarrested?"
*So anyone could 'arrest' anyone else?
*Or would hey have to have made handcuffs?
*Would anyone be able to 'unarrest' someone, or only the person who made those handcuffs?
*What would the handcuffs do? Would they keep a person connected to a place - i.e: a town, building or vehicle, or to a person?
*What happens when the person who made the handcuffs dies? Would they drop a key or something?
*How does this fit into the current Cantr set-up?
*Would 'handcuffs' be able to be listed in the same way as other items, with the same programming behind them?
*Or would they need a whole load of extra programming to add in this functionality?
*Does Cantr need handcuffs when there's already a simple way or 'arresting' someone?

These are just a few of the questions that I imagine the prog. dept would have to ask before they go about doing this. I agree, KISS - but things can seem deceptively simple - I'd like to see your boyfriend join the Prog. Dept and see how quickly he can add the handcuffs/arrest set-up?

On another note - clothing should NOT be a side issue - the items that are useless except for RPing purposes - they are the BEST things in Cantr :)
Whoever you vote for.

The government wins.
wichita
Administrator Emeritus

Postby wichita » Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:47 pm

Misty wrote:"why would they make a big project out of it? Why not just put an arrest button on screen and when it is clicked, the criminal is automtically in the handcuffs - untill he or she is unarrested?"

hallucinatingfarmer wrote:These are just a few of the questions that I imagine the prog. dept would have to ask before they go about doing this. I agree, KISS - but things can seem deceptively simple - I'd like to see your boyfriend join the Prog. Dept and see how quickly he can add the handcuffs/arrest set-up?

On another note - clothing should NOT be a side issue - the items that are useless except for RPing purposes - they are the BEST things in Cantr :)

The biggest deception to the KISS rule is oten game balance. Sure, we can make that easy to arrest people. But if we did, people could go running around locking up everyone without repercussion and shut down the game. Many of the reasons things are difficult is because if they were easy it would throw the game out of balance. Granted it works the other way, too, but in this case the KISS rule would be the absolutely wrong way to do it.

And I agree on the clothing setiments Farmer. Currently clothing IS a non issue, because too many people just ignore the fact that they are wearing nothing worth mentioning and continue through life naked.
"Y-O-U! It's just two extra letters! Come on, people! This is the internet, not a barn!" --Kid President
Misty

Postby Misty » Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:17 pm

Ok ok ok! I'm not a programmer, I'm just a girl, not really into girly things like sewing and knitting, BUT, people have always told me I have pretty good common sense, soooo, let me try to use some of that on these questions posed to me. :D

Why would anyone set up the game like that? No, that doesn't sound right to me. How about a built in class? Sheriff - Deputy Sheriff. A character who is somehow recognized by the program as being one of these would have an "Arrest this person" button.

*Or would hey have to have made handcuffs?

No, not in my humble opinion. It should be automatic, in the programming. When someone is arrested, they have hand cuffs on. I try to simplify things as often as possible.

*Would anyone be able to 'unarrest' someone, or only the person who made those handcuffs?

How about any other Sheriff or Deputy? As in real life, all the cops have the keys to the cuffs. In some cases civilians can get them too, but for the purpose of the game, why not just keep it simple and have it so that any Sheriff or Deputy could un-arrest someone. Because, the original arrester could die, or fall asleep, right?

*What happens when the person who made the handcuffs dies? Would they drop a key or something?

Sticking to my personal tradition of trying to keep things simple, why would anyone even have to make the handcuffs? It's programmed in. A person is arrested, they are bound by cuffs - - simple.

*How does this fit into the current Cantr set-up?

Programming wise? I have no clue - sorry! In game? Well, I don't see it in game yet. This was a suggestion by another player right?

*Would 'handcuffs' be able to be listed in the same way as other items, with the same programming behind them?

Again, as far as I am concerned, If I am programming Cantr, the handcuffs are a NON-issue. A person is arrested and they are automatically bound by cuffs.

*Or would they need a whole load of extra programming to add in this functionality?

I have no idea what would go into the programming. I only suggested keeping it simple.

*Does Cantr need handcuffs when there's already a simple way or 'arresting' someone?

From what I could see of the player who posted the suggestion for handcuffs, he was worried about prisoners being able to strike officers and other people while they were under arrest, hence, the player asked for cuffs. At least, that is what I gleaned from the post.

*swipes a hand across her forehead* shwew. Ok, on to the next issue posed by hallucinatingfarmer...

The biggest deception to the KISS rule is oten game balance. Sure, we can make that easy to arrest people. But if we did, people could go running around locking up everyone without repercussion and shut down the game

No, not people dear. Sheriff's and Deputy's only. I don't know programming, but to me, that sounds like a "character class" would have to be programmed in.

Currently clothing IS a non issue, because too many people just ignore the fact that they are wearing nothing worth mentioning and continue through life naked.

I mentioned the clothing thing because of the FUN level. Again, people like fashion, and people LOVE to shop and buy clothes that they look and feel good in. Playing all females as characters, I can tell you this as a fact, A LOT of people pay attention to what my female characters are wearing! A LOT! Everyone from town officials, to newspawns, are constantly commenting on my female character's clothing. So, while you may not bother looking to see what someone is wearing, other people surly are.

Fact is, my BF didn't like the loin cloth deal, he didn't like it that if was to make a loin cloth it would take a lot of time to do, and none of the friends he showed Cantr to liked it either. They just quietly went away. *scratches her head lightly* How many others also just quietly leave? Does the body count reflect this? Do the dead towns with lists of 12 people in them, yet with no actual activity reflect this?

I only suggest that clothing be available to new characters - - because it is FUN. Let them design their character, pick out their clothing and buy a little food with their opening credits. Then after that, it's all in game from there on in. But it would be - FUN!

*looks over at the blender* *puts keyboard on the desk and stands to walk over to it...
NSA
formerly known as hf

Postby formerly known as hf » Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:48 pm

Character class pre-programmed in?

Ergh!

In Cantr, classes, hieracrchies, social structures - are designed by the players - right down to the fine details as what exactly they should be named (Sherrif and Deputy is not only an out-of-game naming system, but an american one at that...), what they wear, what their powers are.

Cantr is a VERY open game - all social structure, all governance, all hieracrchies, all forms of power, along with most other things - they are organised by the players and their characters - and are deliberatly not hard-programmed so as to allow that freedom.

As for clothes - if you want your newspawn to look like some kinda dolled-up princess, there are MANY other games where you can do just that, not in Cantr. Life is difficult in Cantr, but that makes it doubly rewarding when you get somewhere.
I know this level of difficulty, that it takes days to simply cloth your character and get them food, is very off-putting to many people - and I understand that, but, if thats how they are, and how they like their games - they're unlikely to enjoy Cantr.
Cantr is slow paced, and it requires a LOT of patience - so, yes, we do and I guess always loose a very large number of new players because of the level of patience required, but, patience is not always required when it comes to Role-Playing, character interaction, and, for me at least, it is that interaction in a game where there is so much freedom, which makes Cantr so great.
Whoever you vote for.

The government wins.
Nick

Postby Nick » Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:11 pm

I don't think you're truly appreciating the concept of Cantr, Misty...

It will come in time.
Snake_byte

Postby Snake_byte » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:38 pm

Misty wrote:Ok ok ok! I'm not a programmer, I'm just a girl, not really into girly things like sewing and knitting, BUT, people have always told me I have pretty good common sense, soooo, let me try to use some of that on these questions posed to me. :D

Why would anyone set up the game like that? No, that doesn't sound right to me. How about a built in class? Sheriff - Deputy Sheriff. A character who is somehow recognized by the program as being one of these would have an "Arrest this person" button.

Are you talking about putting a bot in the game!? No way no bots I hate bots!. Only bots should be animals. Not even items such as handcuffs. If you can tie a knot you shuld be able to tie someone up. PROVIDING you have rope. Not many people have rope... It should be the same if someone makes cuffs. You're smart enough to make'm then you can use them. Cuffs are more simple to use than tieing knots for one...
Last edited by Snake_byte on Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My old banner ;)
Misty

Postby Misty » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:39 pm

I don't think you're truly appreciating the concept of Cantr, Misty...

No, I do, I really do Nick. And I understand more about your perspective than you may realize.

But let's back up just a tad here, ok?

It was Hagan, who posted his handcuff idea in the suggestions category. I merely voiced some ideas on how it could be made to happen - - rather than to just dismiss him flatly. There ARE ways to do things and to make things happen.

I posted my ideas. Now, (sorta wish I didn't) give Hagan some attention, he was the original poster...
NSA
Snake_byte

Re: HandCuffs

Postby Snake_byte » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:44 pm

Hagan wrote: I have had a few times I would of like to of bound the hands of a thief or criminal for a bit to drag them off to jail...

There have been a few time I'd like to tie up NON-criminals too.
Everyone wants to get rid of criminals. Without them rest assure that Cantr would be a very dull place to be...
My old banner ;)

Return to “Rejected Suggestions”