Chickenware window boxes

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after rejection

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Caesar
Location: The Netherlands, Europe, Earth, Sol, The Milkyway, Our Galaxy, Time & Space

Postby Caesar » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:00 pm

*Wiro wrote:Producing chicken
- 30 grams of egg
- Automatic Unattended
Result: 500 grams of chicken

Very.. Balanced.

So you don't have to feed it to become bigger? It just increases in mass out of nothing?
- Every person lost in war is two too many.
- Respect comes from two sides and must be earned. Nobody has the right to it because of a title, sex, age, race or birth.
- What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
- I believe in True Love, do you?
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:05 pm

And there isn't even a resource called chicken.
Pretty in pink.
Caesar
Location: The Netherlands, Europe, Earth, Sol, The Milkyway, Our Galaxy, Time & Space

Postby Caesar » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:53 pm

Piscator wrote:And there isn't even a resource called chicken.

True.

Let's implement chicken! :O It is a resource that walks.

You see 7 grams of chicken leaving the central area of {{Location}} entering {{Building}}.

- Respect comes from two sides and must be earned. Nobody has the right to it because of a title, sex, age, race or birth.

Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:12 pm

Sorry, this won't happen.

1) Animals are not treated as resources (except fish, but fish have always been...different). If you're going to convert chickens into a resource, then it should be done for every animal in the game.

2) If/when animal domestication is implemented, animals will become transportable anyway, negating the need for this suggestion. Domestication has been an approved suggestion for years. Unfortunately, animal individualization turned the animal system into this Frankenstein's monster of a system that no one wanted to touch (except me, and it ruined my life for over a year - literally). It's now pretty buggered. I hope someone will fix it someday. Lord knows, I've made enough suggestions to make it better.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
Caesar

Postby Caesar » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:31 pm

Caesar wrote:True.

Let's implement chicken! :O It is a resource that walks.

You see 7 grams of chicken leaving the central area of {{Location}} entering {{Building}}.

I hope you didn't think I actually ment this..

Elros

Postby Elros » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:36 pm

I actually liked this idea, unfortunatly it was moved here before I even had a chance to read it. :lol:

The fact is, it seems that a lot of people are making this all too complicated. We don't have to do anything with animal domestication for this to work. It seems some on here have the thought stuck in their head that we can't do anything before they defeat the domestication giant, which as Doug pointed out isn't happening anytime soon.

So, lets take a simpler approach to this. Lets take a back door, and beat the giant here by taking a different approach.

There doesn't need to be any resource called chicken. This machine would be simple. You would use eggs and grain, and it would output more eggs and meat. Simple. We already have every resource we need in the database to make this machine. I could have this machine put in the database in about 20 minutes.

This is a simple approach to take. No need for an actual "chicken" to be domesticated and the actual animal be brought on the boat. If you have eggs, then it is understood that you can hatch them and have chickens. This is a RPing game after all guys. You don't have to see everything for it to be there.
Every action has a consequence.
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:13 pm

Well, my thought was, if we had a "hasanimal" tag (which would be useful for a lot of other projects too), we could assign a "catch animal" project to a portable machine (cast net?) which would result in one item of (small livestock), which could then be used to fill the cage.

This sounds a little complicated (it would be easier if cages weren't supposed to be build on ships), but this way the same system could also be used to produce fur, snakeskin, feathers and so on, depending on what type of animal you use to build the cage.
Pretty in pink.
Dudel

Postby Dudel » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:10 pm

The ONLY problem with this is the name.

If you remove the thought that "I'm domesticating a bird" from the project then... well uh... its just like other projects that need feathers and my character has never seen birds but people have feathers... Iuno.. I 100% do not see the problem.

"Egg Box"

"Meat Planter"

...I.. uh.. yeah.

Remove the "chicken" and the "bird" from the idea and only use the eggs. Anything else that "comes with it" is 100% up to the player to pretend that they have been raising chickens, albatrosses... whatever.
Elros

Postby Elros » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:34 pm

Exactly what I was saying Dudel. Just make it produce "meat" and "eggs" and who cares if it is a chicken, snake, or albatross. Leave that up to the player to RP.
Cogliostro

Postby Cogliostro » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:12 pm

I think the idea is pretty valid, and considering there are already beehives and earthenware boxes that are used in the game with great success, it's been moved to "rejected" way prematurely.
Cogliostro

Postby Cogliostro » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:15 pm

"Egg incubator"? :D
Elros

Postby Elros » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:27 pm

Cogliostro wrote:I think the idea is pretty valid, and considering there are already beehives and earthenware boxes that are used in the game with great success, it's been moved to "rejected" way prematurely.

I agree. I am not sure who moved it here, but I think it should be disscussed some more before being rejected...
Dudel

Postby Dudel » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:30 pm

It was rejected by Doug on the grounds that "Animals Ain't Resources" and "Animals are not domesticated"... but I don't think either applies to this.

1) The EGGS are the resources here, not the animal they came from.

2) What domestication? Does this mean that bees are domesticated, as others have implied... fish too? I mean I just plop my fishing pole in and ALWAYS catch some... ain't that a form of "domestication"?
Elros

Postby Elros » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:38 pm

Dudel wrote:It was rejected by Doug on the grounds that "Animals Ain't Resources" and "Animals are not domesticated"... but I don't think either applies to this.

1) The EGGS are the resources here, not the animal they came from.

2) What domestication? Does this mean that bees are domesticated, as others have implied... fish too? I mean I just plop my fishing pole in and ALWAYS catch some... ain't that a form of "domestication"?

Exactly, I completely agree with this. This suggestion is pretty much the same as a beehive. There are no actual "animals" involved. You input resources, and it outputs resources. The rest is RPed.

I will wait for Doug to get back on and read all of the conversation since it was moved here. He can move it back since he is the one that moved it here. I am not going to do that.
Cogliostro

Postby Cogliostro » Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:28 am

Maybe he can move it straight from "Rejected" to "Accepted". Yeah, here's to that. :D :D

Return to “Rejected Suggestions”