Peer moderation

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after rejection

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

SekoETC

Peer moderation

Postby SekoETC » Sun May 10, 2009 6:11 pm

Sometimes there are characters who aren't really roleplayed and they are just used to troll or to express the opinions of the player (for example saying things like "this game sux"). Such characters make the game unpleasant for others and they can start sabotage projects, and it might take hours before someone from PD gets online and locks their account.

I think it would be better if all long-term players, who haven't done something that would prove them untrustworthy, were be given the ability to freeze characters who behave in a disruptive OOC manner. Frozen characters couldn't do anything but they also couldn't be attacked or dragged, so people couldn't take advantage of their situation.

All cases would be investigated by PD and if it turned out that someone was frozen without a proper reason, the person or people who did it would lose their moderation priviledges and maybe have their accounts locked for at least as long as the other character spent frozen. It could also be made so that freezing a person would require a vote from more than one person, as long as the requirements weren't set too high.

Sometimes newspawns might seem suicidal even though they might be played by a newbie who hurts others without realizing it. Currently the trend is to hit first and ask questions later because stopping people has been made so hard. Freezing might save newbies from getting their characters slaughtered and being disappointed by such brutality. Sometimes they just need a bit of talking to.

Now this could also be handled IC if something like nets, knockouts or bondage were implemented, but somehow I have the feeling it's not going to happen. Freezing would rely partially on existing mechanics (account locking) so it would probably be simpler to implement even though it's an OOC method.
Not-so-sad panda
*Wiro

Postby *Wiro » Sun May 10, 2009 6:20 pm

How often does it happen that something REALLY bad happens, really? "omgg game sucks ur all fags" doesn't really harm much, people ignore those kind of pests and wait for it to be taken care of by PD.

The only actual damage they could do is spam notes which could be cleaned up afterwards (and up to a certain extent it is IC... but not when the char exists just for trolling) and sabotage projects. We really need to be able to take away resources from projects if it has been several days since the project was started and the one who started it isn't there anymore. But we all know that suggestions just don't get added anymore...
Read about my characters by following this link.
Dudel

Postby Dudel » Sun May 10, 2009 7:20 pm

I'd rather see IG ways to solve this with nets etc but I don't see them being implimented before my characters 100th b-day. FYI: He's only 30.

Not 100% with the character freezing. Maybe I'm confused, JUST the character NOT the account gets frozen?
joo

Postby joo » Sun May 10, 2009 10:23 pm

From what I've seen on the forums and IRC, I don't trust all "long-term players" to make rational decisions about what behaviour would warrant the character being locked.
Dudel

Postby Dudel » Sun May 10, 2009 10:34 pm

Awww... joo's sad he's been banned. :lol:

No I wouldn't trust people either joo, don't feel bad.
joo

Postby joo » Sun May 10, 2009 10:35 pm

Dudel wrote:Awww... joo's sad he's been banned. :lol:

Heh, actually I wasn't referring to that... but yes, now that I come to think of it...
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Sun May 10, 2009 10:39 pm

I don't like this idea either. Let's rather use existing structures and swear in a couple of new PD aspirants.
Pretty in pink.
cantrlady

Postby cantrlady » Sun May 10, 2009 11:08 pm

Piscator wrote:I don't like this idea either. Let's rather use existing structures and swear in a couple of new PD aspirants.

That would be my vote.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Sun May 10, 2009 11:34 pm

Ditto.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
Gran

Postby Gran » Wed May 13, 2009 9:31 pm

It is not quite certain if we eould actually get the desired results... but I had some fun imagining what would happen to the frozen char. Maybe he would drool and/or vomit then fall into a coma? :)

It could be called newspawn disease.
"Navegar é preciso; viver não é preciso"
Cantryjczyk

Postby Cantryjczyk » Wed May 13, 2009 9:53 pm

I don't like this "idea" either.
Każdy ma swój punkt widzenia, ale nie każdy z niego coś widzi.
frenchfisher

Postby frenchfisher » Wed May 13, 2009 10:56 pm

Perhaps if it were toned town a bit; give the ability for older players to "flag" a character. If they're flagged enough times (perhaps three, to avoid people getting pissed off and flagging at random) they might get a message or two on their login screen which is like, "Hey, cut that out, Cantr is for real RP, yo." If they get a couple more flags then they could be automatically brought before the Players' Department.
*Wiro

Postby *Wiro » Thu May 14, 2009 3:43 pm

Frenchfisher, that only works with people that know how common sense works. It's like "OMG EYE REPOTT U 2 DA PEEDEE IF U DUN LISSEN TA MEEEE" and all that. :)
Read about my characters by following this link.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Thu May 14, 2009 4:52 pm

If misusing one's privileges led to losing them, I don't think it would be the end of the world if people got reported without a proper reason, especially if characters couldn't be harmed while they're frozen, or if they were just flagged and it didn't prevent playing. And besides, people can already report others to PD and sometimes they do it over no good reasons.
Not-so-sad panda
frenchfisher

Postby frenchfisher » Thu May 14, 2009 8:25 pm

*Wiro wrote:Frenchfisher, that only works with people that know how common sense works. It's like "OMG EYE REPOTT U 2 DA PEEDEE IF U DUN LISSEN TA MEEEE" and all that. :)

I know; hence requiring multiple users to flag people, and even more to report them to the PD.

Return to “Rejected Suggestions”