Forum Points

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after rejection

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:43 pm

I agree. I actually don't see the point in introducing such a system. I think it is rewarding by itself to make a good suggestion or to have a good idea. I don't need a counter that remembers me what a marvelous guy I am.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:21 pm

Looks like we're leaning towards rejected here.
Not-so-sad panda
joo

Postby joo » Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:31 pm

What's wrong with the current system? When someone makes a bad suggestion, they get flamed ( :twisted: ) and the topic is moved to rejected suggestions; if it is a good suggestion then people agree with them and the topic is finally laid to rest in accepted suggestions... if, however, it's a really good suggestion, it might actually make it to implemented suggestions: who knows how the ProgD might be feeling when they read your post? :roll:

What I like about this forum is that people aren't judged by statistics that are worked out by some algorithm - they are valued according to how other individuals view their conduct, which is by far the most accurate and flexible rating system that could ever be put in place.
buddyhall

re

Postby buddyhall » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:27 am

LOl everybody saying this other guys ideas a bad idea but that wasn't my origanal idea all I wanted once points and ranks for good posts like an accepted suggestion or answering a question or even for good ideas ingeneral and good things only,

And you get a rank like

20- 60 points = helpful
60-100 = cantr player
100-200 = cantr pro

just examples of what i was trying to say I didn't say anything about karma?
"Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds." einstein
Dogonabun

Postby Dogonabun » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:40 am

joo wrote:What I like about this forum is that people aren't judged by statistics that are worked out by some algorithm - they are valued according to how other individuals view their conduct, which is by far the most accurate and flexible rating system that could ever be put in place.

I like that too. On forums that I've been on where you have a rank based on how people like you, they end up just spamming people to put a +1 or something on them. A real community doesn't need something so frigid to make someone be respected inside of it.
Stupidity is relative.
buddyhall

re

Postby buddyhall » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:11 am

How the hell is it a bad idea it would let people know who on the forum they can trust and stuff what the hell r you talking about rewardings a bad idea it would simply let people know whose active and intelligent or helpful on the forums??
"Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds." einstein
buddyhall

re

Postby buddyhall » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:15 am

alright It's a good idea all I hear about is possible spam and stuff but isn't any attention good attention really?
I met a preist once his thoery was you could tell any story to get a man to pick up his bible tell him it will bring him riches tell him it will bring him all his hearts desires and once they started reading it his job was over the rest was up to god but the short of it was somthing like
"If i get them to read it they will be hooked"
Jos Elkink
Founder Emeritus

Postby Jos Elkink » Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:12 pm

I like the suggestion much more than most people it seems :-) ... I think it could work quite well. Except: 1) it would be fairly complicated to implement, since we're using third party code for our forum; 2) the benefits of having karma are not overtly clear. And well, I guess it would be possible derogate into something like cliques ... but Slashdot is famous for a similar system which is working fairly well.

I definitely trust statistics / algorithms more than people to make these judgments ;-) ...
Chris

Postby Chris » Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:36 pm

phpBB has a huge community of third party developers making mods. The main issue is whether a particular mod is available for a particular phpBB version. If upgrading to the more recent phpBB version is planned, do that first.

Topic ratings that are visible from the topic listing might be useful. If you don't want to read every suggestion, you could sort by rating and read only the four-star and five-star suggestions.

Any kind of reward/rating system changes behavior, and it tends to focus people on the reward instead of the desired behavior. People will campaign for votes. Sometimes it's as simple as, "If you like this post, please be sure to give me a thumbs up." Sometimes it's incessant whining about not being sufficiently recognized. Any system should be focused on usefulness to the reader, not improving posters' behavior. (There definitely should not be in-game rewards!) To that end, I might support topic ratings but not ratings of people.
formerly known as hf

Postby formerly known as hf » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:30 pm

Please, no. I don't even like the post counts here that much. But that's just my intrinsict dislike and mistrust of hierarchies in any form, especially social hierarchies.

Anyway, if anything like this does go ahead - I'ld be in the algorithm side.

As an alternative suggestion: The number of suggestions posted which have made their way into 'accepted'? would be the driving factor, or something else easily quantifiable (though still not entirely unopen to abuse)

In which case, I'd rather the system be seperated from the poster. I thought Seko's idea for suggestions was sound in idea, but not practical. Hard-coding something for suggestions would be welcome.

Otheriwse, weighting by other community members, like at slashdot, forms cliques very quickly, discourages debate by requiring subsciption to the hegemonic viewpoint in order to recieve weighting, encourages unsubtle humour (usualy in the form of 'flaming') and generally makes the social atmosphere one of the lowest-common-denominator so that people do not find themselves ostracised.

To be honest, though, we've always been lucky in having one of the more friendly communities out there, and I don't think there's any need for a system like this.

Maybe I'm missing something - but what would a system like this give us that would be benificial?
Jos Elkink
Founder Emeritus

Postby Jos Elkink » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:13 pm

Yeah, my point 2 is totally in line with HF ;-) ... Irrespective of possible complications with implementation, I don't actually see the point, at all :-) ... Even with suggestions it wouldn't help much, since I'm not sure democracy is the way to maintain the unique character of the game ;-) ... and also because sometimes suggestions are accepted / refused on the basis of implementability instead of whether it is or isn't interesting ...
buddyhall

re

Postby buddyhall » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:27 pm

OK thanks Jos atleast now I think I understand why it's a bad idea
becasue of the third party thing ty just thought I'd throw it out there it would indeed work well but you should stick with your friends/whoever owns the code for this forum.
Jos Elkink
Founder Emeritus

Postby Jos Elkink » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:41 pm

Moved it ;-)

Return to “Rejected Suggestions”