Volume control for radios

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after rejection

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

T-shirt

Volume control for radios

Postby T-shirt » Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:23 am

Radios should have a volume switch. You can either set it to normal. That's the way it is now. Or set it to loud. And then people in adjacent areas can hear a radio is broadcasting.

You hear the sound of a radio coming from [VEHICLE NAME] [BUILDING/ROOM NAME].
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana. - G. Marx
bmartes

Postby bmartes » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:04 am

agreed :D
jabber: bmartes@jabber.xs4all.nl
You find a blessed scroll labeled ELBIB YLOH.
Liljum

Postby Liljum » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:48 am

I think that the use of a radio has fallen back due to that someone has to be in the same building as the radio to be able to notify an incoming message. And it's kinda rare that someone is inside all the time. So this suggestion would actually be great. Mayby could there be a window that you can open or close to hear the message from outside, but not able to answer if you do not have a key to the building.

But just a notify that there has been a message is great.
Sicofonte

Postby Sicofonte » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:41 am

Liljum wrote:But just a notify that there has been a message is great.

Agreed.
It would be very usefull for small places.
Specially ships with only one active crewmate, that has to be on deck if he wants the ship moving, but have to be on the cabin if he wants to hear the messages.

I would accept this if it is not going to produce lag (SQL gurus, what do you think?)
Tyche es una malparida. Espero que Ramnus y Pluto intervengan... o no :P
tiddy ogg

Postby tiddy ogg » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:55 am

The reasons for this are the same as for the teletype. I prefer the latter which takes extra work to make, and you could have a similar message "You hear the sound of a teletype from..."
Then someone wuld have to go in there to read the message.
Sicofonte

Postby Sicofonte » Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:16 am

With the teletype, you don't need the incomming message notice, just because you will have the written note in the floor (or inside the teletype if it would be lockable) when you come inside the cabin.
Tyche es una malparida. Espero que Ramnus y Pluto intervengan... o no :P
Liljum

Postby Liljum » Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:31 am

Sicofonte wrote:Specially ships with only one active crewmate, that has to be on deck if he wants the ship moving, but have to be on the cabin if he wants to hear the messages.

Acctually the ship doesn't stop if you go inside the cabin. But you still have to get outside to check your heading and make corrections after that.

Well, now i got of topic... I would like the notification to be so that you know from which radio reciver you get the message. If you should own several of those and they are set to different frekvenses.

Mayby like this...

Day 1918 Time: 7:0:18: You hear some noice comming from radio reciver tuned into frekvens 200
shapukas

Postby shapukas » Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:35 am

Coudnt it be posible to recognise persones voise? I think its logikal to know who is sending radio waves. :)
Liljum

Postby Liljum » Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:44 am

Well... If you can't see the person you can't tell who it is. I've been told that me, my little brother and our father has the same voice on the telephone. It's true. Just by the first hello on the telephone i can't tell if it's my father or my brother that i'm speaking with.

So i think that you can't know who it is by the voice when your outside and can't barrely hear that the radio makes noices. I think it should be limited to that you only hear that it makes noices and from which reciever. Acctually you can't hear from which one the noice comes from but it would make things eaiser for the reciving person.
shapukas

Postby shapukas » Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:12 pm

There is exeptions that you cant recognise at first. But this is cantr. And in real live people arent 60kg. So i think it could be posible to recognise person if you have talked before.
Liljum

Postby Liljum » Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:40 pm

And in real live people arent 60kg.

No? My weight usually pendels between 60 - 65 kg.

How can you recognise a voice that you can't even recognise when your inside with the radio? The only way of knowing who it is, is if the sender sais who he/she is.
shapukas

Postby shapukas » Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:25 pm

You dont understood what i sed. I mean, tha i could recognise person if i vave met him before. On radio it could be like this : "man in his twenties have said:....." and if i have met hime before i'll recognise his name. And in cantr evry one is 60kg.
Liljum

Postby Liljum » Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:56 pm

It sounds good to use dynamic namings to recognise the sender. But still don't like the idea.
Chris Johnson

Postby Chris Johnson » Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:25 pm

With regards the dynamic naming

All dynamic naming and therefore recognition in Cantr is effectively based on the visual senses - Just because you hear some one on the radio doesn't mean you will recognise them if you've never heard them talk and vice versa - We don't intend changing dynamic naming to store both aural as well as visual recognition and so that will not be implemented

If you want an in-game reason then the static interference on the Radio frequencies is such that you can only recognise the words not the person (or even their gender).

As to the main suggestion - it has some merits but is really a duplicate (or variant ) of the external Loudspeaker suggestion which I prefer - Also there are a lot of server load implications - it will significantly increase the number of people hearing any message and its therefore unlikely to be implemented in the foreseeable future

Consequently I'm not rejecting or accepting this suggestion
T-shirt

Postby T-shirt » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:16 pm

That sucks.
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana. - G. Marx

Return to “Rejected Suggestions”