90% complete project, prepare for next [DUPLICATE]

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after rejection

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

N-Aldwitch

90% complete project, prepare for next [DUPLICATE]

Postby N-Aldwitch » Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:56 am

Don't you hate it when you log in, and your project is at 97%, waiting for the next tick before it's finished, so you can do the next project that's due?

What I propose is that, when a project you are working on reaches 90% or more, you have the option to add a project in for your charri to continue with after the completion of the project.

Staff, this also lowers bandwidth as the player won't constantly be logging in and out, in and out, waiting for the project to finish.

And to the rest, it also benefits in the fact that it is not entirely automation- just an easier way to move on to the next project- because face it, if you're at 97% in the project, you're going to be logging in and out until it's done so you can do the next project without wasting time. (ie it might be your sleepy time :P just as the project's about to finish.. and you'll waste 18 hours that could be used on a project from when you get back from work or school)
tiddy ogg

Postby tiddy ogg » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:18 am

This has been suggested before, and, I think, rejected for some reason.
Of course, 90% can mean there's still 8 days to go on a mammoth project, but yes, the queuing of projects seems reasonable to me.
Especially when there's been lag and the tick hasn't happened and you want to go to bed.
Solfius

Postby Solfius » Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:37 pm

On the one hand, yes queuing projects will make sure people are always working, and as tiddy ogg said will help when the day lags, but I'd be concerned about people queuing projects and then not checking their characters so much. Could queuing projects lead to fewer characters being awake and active in their towns?
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:56 pm

Well if queueing only became available once the current project has 5 or less hours left, people couldn't plan too much ahead.
Not-so-sad panda
Redbeard

Postby Redbeard » Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:10 pm

I think that this works against role playing...
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:22 pm

Projects are a necessary evil, it's rather unfair that you can gain an advantage from being able to come online more often than someone else, or that an obsessed person must hang online past bedtime to start another project so that they wouldn't spend most of the night idle. Since you still have to log in to start that other project and add it to the queue, and if there could be only one project waiting at a time, you couldn't create huge chains, only making your life a bit easier. Though I don't think it's the amount of projects that matters, but the time they consume. For something like burials, each project takes one or two hours and there can be several of them, so even if you engaged on one and put another one in queue, it couldn't keep you busy all night. While if you finish a short project and then move on to a 20 day farming project or something like that, you wouldn't necessarily have to log in for a long time.
Not-so-sad panda
Sicofonte

Postby Sicofonte » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:10 pm

Players can ignore their logs and the RPing even if they are logging in and out. In my case, this measure won't change my RPing habits, but will safe me some disgusting minuts that I spend waiting for a tick.
I know of several characters that never say nothing, just works. They won't RP anything with or without this being implemented.

And about mule-characters, if the lapse is short enough (maybe 2 cantr turns, 6 hour), it won't make too much easy the life of that kind of players, if someone is worried about it.

I support this suggestion.
Tyche es una malparida. Espero que Ramnus y Pluto intervengan... o no :P
Sunni Daez

Postby Sunni Daez » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:48 pm

Redbeard wrote:I think that this works against role playing...

I totally agree with this statement

Run...Dragon...Run!!!
Zanthos

Postby Zanthos » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:55 pm

as much as i would love to see this, i have to say it will not do enough good for the effort and the possible sideeffects.
Person: Akamada doesnt control the animals.
You see a wild boar attack Person.
Person: I still dont believe you.

<Spill> Oh, I enjoy every sperm to the fullest.
DylPickle

Postby DylPickle » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:11 pm

It -might- have been acceptable in the days before slots, but nowadays, in some locations, it would just increase the amount of slot hoggers.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:43 pm

*cough*dragfromproject*cough* Even if someone had a queue, it would be interrupted if they are dragged, so people would have to keep checking in if there's reason to believe someone might want to interrupt them.
Not-so-sad panda
BarbaricAvatar

Postby BarbaricAvatar » Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:59 am

SekoETC wrote:*cough*dragfromproject*cough* Even if someone had a queue, it would be interrupted if they are dragged, so people would have to keep checking in if there's reason to believe someone might want to interrupt them.

Oooh that'll be a good way of annoying people. See how many projects they have lined up, then drag them off so they can't do any of them.
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(" )_(" ) signature to help him gain world domination.
Vindalf

Postby Vindalf » Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:48 am

SekoETC wrote:it's rather unfair that you can gain an advantage from being able to come online more often than someone else
I, for one, support Seko wholeheartedly. Not being able to queue projects has annoyed me from day one. As for slot-hoggers: if that hog is able to log in every second hour, it will be as difficult to keep him away from those slots.

yours
/Vindalf
BarbaricAvatar

Postby BarbaricAvatar » Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:40 pm

SekoETC wrote:*cough*dragfromproject*cough* Even if someone had a queue, it would be interrupted if they are dragged, so people would have to keep checking in if there's reason to believe someone might want to interrupt them.

But then that would still require someone to log in to check, so doesn't that defeat the point?
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(" )_(" ) signature to help him gain world domination.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:50 pm

Defeat what point? Of course queues couldn't be non-interruptable. But in most cases people wouldn't risk their health dragging people from a project. So most workers would not be interrupted.
Not-so-sad panda

Return to “Rejected Suggestions”