Grabbing an item off someone - Duplicate suggestion

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after rejection

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

N-Aldwitch

Grabbing an item off someone - Duplicate suggestion

Postby N-Aldwitch » Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:02 am

Pretty simple, you can 'drag' the item off them.

The theory behind it is, let's say their dragging strength is worth 37,000 grams. (so they can drag up to that much at a time). If a town guard needs to snatch the crowbar off someone, the town guard's strength needs to exceed the man holding it.
This is very logical, as if you injure them, of course their dragging strength is reduced- lower and lower until they are barely holding it and you can just tug it off the person.

There should be a maximum of one item off someone, per day, for everyone. Multiple people should be able to help tug the item off someone but that means, the person who helped will use his 'tug' for that day and has to wait till the next day.
(and the logic behind this is that, in the Cantrian universe, you can only attack someone once a day, so it's only fair that you can only take an item off someone once a day.)

Now for the good part: This saves many characters from having to kill prisoners to take their crowbar.

Yes. The weak are at a disadvantage.
If you've ever studied philosophy,(specifically, Greek), you'll know about Callicles and how he explains that the weak make laws to control the strong. So before you complain that the weak are at a total disadvantage, remember Callicles, "Of course I mean the superior people are better!" (real quote from the Gorgias)
Nakranoth's "evil" character says:
"Thief! That's terrible! *shakes his head* That would hurt people's feeling if I did that."

http://www.sylorn.com - Free MMORPG in development.. need help.
Racetyme

Postby Racetyme » Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:15 am

Its a good idea, but it destroys combat. Now the person who strikes first will always win. Lets say two identical fighters are together, but one of them strikes first. He attacks his opponent first, doing only a few percentage points of damage, because of the opponents shield. He then takes his opponents shield, and the fight is over, because the one being hit has lost some of his drag strength. You see the problem?
Spazz

Postby Spazz » Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:36 am

Well, to counteract that sort of thing, take a lesson from the Medeival times, oftentimes (especially with small shields like bucklers) there was some sort of strap or device securing the shield to the fighter.

And I suppose a chain connected to the wrist would secure most weapons.
Zanthos

Postby Zanthos » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:13 am

Maybe dragging and fighting can go hand in hand? Maybe you could only attack or drag from someone once a day. In this circumstance, the fighters would exchange blows and the weaker fighters would gang up on the stronger ones to take their weapon or shield.
Person: Akamada doesnt control the animals.
You see a wild boar attack Person.
Person: I still dont believe you.

<Spill> Oh, I enjoy every sperm to the fullest.
Racetyme

Postby Racetyme » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:20 am

Still, no good. Thats not the way cantr has been designed. It means three newspawns can work together and kill anyone they want. Not so good.
Nakranoth

Postby Nakranoth » Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:00 am

Three newspawns taking a shield (or weapon) doesn't kill a guards man. And in a city where there's more than one law abiding armed person, the newspawns stand no chance.

On a side note, three unarmed, organised charries probably could disarm a lone sentry and put his own weapons against him.

But for balance reasons, it really should take (%50-100) more overpowering to disarm someone than simply dragging them.
Scratch and sniff text
Nick

Postby Nick » Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:10 am

3 newspawns should be able to kill somebody, if they have the element of suprise and coordination.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:16 am

Yeah, just as long as the coordination is from inside the game, not out.

I wish there was some way of implementing this suggestion that would not totally rip the game out of balance. There's a difference between a character farming for potatoes in a peaceful town, vs a guard standing in a harbour, waiting for a strange ship to dock. The first case could easily be surprised, someone could snatch the shield off their back while they were bending over to pick a potato, but the second case would not even let people get on a lunging distance.

An awareness trait might be the key, in my opinion. Another chance would be a watch project, but that would completely disable you from doing anything productive, and you still couldn't protect other people from being stolen from. So if people could divide their attention between a project and observing the environment... Whaddaya say, people?
Not-so-sad panda
Nick

Postby Nick » Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:21 am

SekoETC wrote:Another chance would be a watch project, but that would completely disable you from doing anything productive, and you still couldn't protect other people from being stolen from. So if people could divide their attention between a project and observing the environment... Whaddaya say, people?

Well, change "watch project" with doing nothing. You should be more alert if you're not working, and would eliminate the need for making such a project.

edit: this is a great way to encourage soldiers/town guards as a profession, rather than just giving weapons to the most active potato farmers in your town.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:33 am

You should be able to do something while waiting for somehing to happen. Due to the reason I just mentioned, that even if you were on the alert, all you could project was yourself. You could likewise be attacked with the weapon of the potato farmer, as one stolen from yourself. Also you would imagine that it was easier to steal from a sleeper (who usually are doing nothing) than from an active character. So if inactive characters were automatically considered on the lookout, that sounds a bit irrational.

So, concentration, you could have a slide bar, one side is work and one side is observing the environment. The more you concentrate on working, the more efficient you'll be, but this will also leave you open to attacks (animal attacks included) and thefts. While 0% would mean you've paused your project, aren't making any progress and are fully on the alert, giving you a bonus in defense. 50% would be our current situation, normal blocking and gathering rates.
Not-so-sad panda
Nick

Postby Nick » Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:36 am

SekoETC wrote:So if inactive characters were automatically considered on the lookout, that sounds a bit irrational.

Inactive characters can be hard at work for decades straight, why not alert?
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:14 am

A watch project. Kinda like resting but you would keep it even after being dragged. And you would also resist dragging while engaged in it. The player should make a conscious decision of making their character be on the alert. Maybe it could affect recovery from tiredness. That would give a reason for doing nothing sometimes. And maybe you could also have a watch/blank project combo.

I think the watch project should fade on it's own if it's not refreshed in, lets say ten days.
Not-so-sad panda
Chris Johnson

Postby Chris Johnson » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:34 am

This suggestion has been suggested many times before in this form as well as a stealth based equivalent - moved to rejected suggestions as a duplicate
N-Aldwitch

Postby N-Aldwitch » Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:46 am

You're kidding me, Chris? The other topics are dead, and this one had some serious discussion going..

Bleh, damn procedure! (I know this isn't an exception.)

"Thief! That's terrible! *shakes his head* That would hurt people's feeling if I did that."

N-Aldwitch

Postby N-Aldwitch » Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:52 am

Nick wrote:3 newspawns should be able to kill somebody, if they have the element of suprise and coordination.

Agreed. Read the Gorgias text if you disagree.

Return to “Rejected Suggestions”