Suggestions for new buildings - Duplicate suggestion

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after rejection

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

psymann

Suggestions for new buildings - Duplicate suggestion

Postby psymann » Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:21 pm

There are currently three buildings you can build with stone:
- hall
- generic building or room
- stone extension

All of these require a trowel (and thus iron).
All are large (over 3 million capacity and over 25 people).

Is there not a gap in the game for a new building:

Stone Outhouse
- resources: 7500g stone
- people: 2
- tools needed: none
- days to build: 20
- capacity: 100000
- special feature: no building can be built inside it

This would allow people in stone areas, who don't own a trowel, a chance to build a building of some sort. Alternatively, it allows those without a vehicle to carry enough stone to make a building from far away to their homeland. In return for this convenience, there are many disadvantages:

Advantages:
- needs carryable amount of stone
- doesn't need iron tools to build

Disadvantages:
- takes ages to build (you lay only 375g stone per day, compared to over 800 for all other stone buildings - because you have no trowel)
- is really small (capacity is one tenth of the size per unit of stone compared to hall or building/room, and a thirtieth compared to the extension. Also takes only 2 people).
- can't be extended (you can build an outhouse onto any existing building, but you can't build anything else onto it - because the walls are precarious or something)
- if building repairing is introduced, then it would degrade a lot quicker.

Aside: I think it would be good if the "can't extend it" rule was extended to the pitifully cheap shack - after all, a shack seems to need less wood than one shelf and one plate, and uses far fewer tools. Needs to be some decent downside to it...

psymann
Retired from www.warofempires.com
(psymann, psydkik, psyborg, psyanide on chronicles of the ages v2-v6) and now seeking a peaceful life in Cantr.

Run out of Cantr minutes? Try www.battlemaster.org for more roleplaying fun.
Chris Johnson

Postby Chris Johnson » Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:54 pm

This is essentially another duplicate of an already accepted suggestion. See the Dug out thread.

But I'd also recommend you look at this rejected thread : Simple stone buildings where some of the issues which hold back implementation
are discussed

Moved to rejected suggestions as a duplicate
Nosajimiki

Postby Nosajimiki » Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:55 pm

wheee stone hovels :lol: . I like the idea mostly, though I think it's copacity stats should probably be about the same as a mud hut or wooden shack. Buildings that could only hold 2 ppl have been shot down before b/c people have a tendancy of jaming them by dieing in them.

I also think stone is entended by RD to be the high-tech building matterial. Half the time you only see buildings and halls being built to serve as places to build the cheaper extensions which are unto themselves an expensive building (comparatively speaking).

The hard part with this is ballencing it so that the old big stone buildings would still be worth making. *rubs chin*
#004400 is my favorite color.
psymann

Postby psymann » Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:51 pm

Nosajimiki wrote:Buildings that could only hold 2 ppl have been shot down before b/c people have a tendancy of jaming them by dieing in them.

Ok, then make it three. Or find a way to remove dead bodies from outside (which presumably is going to be fixed for vehicles sometime anyway as it is the same problem).

I also think stone is entended by RD to be the high-tech building matterial.

Well then, RD need to change their minds (sorry!). Didn't cavemen live in caves made of stone? Weren't prehistoric tomb sites made from stone? Stone is not a high-tech building material!

Half the time you only see buildings and halls being built to serve as places to build the cheaper extensions which are unto themselves an expensive building (comparatively speaking).

As with many things in this game, there seems there is a lot of room for improvement on the numbers involved in different resources and things you can build. I don't doubt it's hard for RD to keep track of all the things and make them work, but there are so many things that seem odd - the fact a shack takes no more wood than a shelf is only one of many examples.

I have never seen more than about 8 people in a building, so how you can ever need more than the 30 in a "building or room" I don't know - therefore I can't see why anyone would build a hall. Perhaps the capacity for people on many of these buildings needs to come down noticeably.

I think that there should be other penalties for building small crappy buildings instead of investing in decent ones. How about:
- no locks
- no extensions allowed (or limited number)
- limit to number of machines that can be built inside (or much smaller capacities, or heavier machines - I have seen cottages with so many machines inside it's silly - and they're one of the cheapest buildings out there)
- higher rot rate (if that's introduced)
- etc

The hard part with this is ballencing it so that the old big stone buildings would still be worth making. *rubs chin*

Hopefully the ideas above might help.

psymann
Retired from www.warofempires.com

(psymann, psydkik, psyborg, psyanide on chronicles of the ages v2-v6) and now seeking a peaceful life in Cantr.

Run out of Cantr minutes? Try www.battlemaster.org for more roleplaying fun.

Return to “Rejected Suggestions”