Really private OOC talking

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after rejection

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Skulty

Really private OOC talking

Postby Skulty » Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:46 pm

What I mean with this is to have a way to talk OOC privately without the other characters seeing it.
After all, if you're talking OOCly, "You see xxx talking to yyy" doesn't makes much sense. :?
Besides, if you're in a war region, too much private talking might be seen as a signal of conpiracy, even though the truth is that much of the talking is OOC! (Just guessing. Never happened to me!)
Implementing this could require a new OOC talking button, which wouldn't be so cool, but I'm sure someone will have an idea around this! :D
Sicofonte

Postby Sicofonte » Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:49 pm

But how would you avoid that people use that feature to just whispering unnoticed?

I think OOC chat can be performed outside Cantr.
Tyche es una malparida. Espero que Ramnus y Pluto intervengan... o no :P
Skulty

Postby Skulty » Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:59 pm

Damn! Beaten in the first post!
But I won't give up yet! :D
Well, for the unnoticed wispering, since the button would be there just for OOC talk, it would be pure CRB!
After all, if you can do the OOC talk in the foruns, so can you "whisper" through PMs, foruns etc.
The only difference is that it would become easier to talk directly to one character's player, but if both are ok with breaking the rules, then it would be almost as easy to just ask the name of the player and do all the talk through PMs!
Black Canyon

Postby Black Canyon » Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:38 pm

I don't like the idea. I think there should be a strong separation between in-game in-character communication and out of character, player to player talk. I think that some players have enough problems keeping that distinction as it is, and to program such a system into the interface would further blur the line.
Chris Johnson

Postby Chris Johnson » Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:41 pm

There really should be no OOC chat in the game - especially not private OOC channels - These can be abused too easily - In game communication should be limited to character to character not player to player.

A slight relaxation of rules about OOC chat has been suggested for the proposed training region but not in the main part of the game

I've moved this to rejected suggestions
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:53 pm

Besides, such OOC talk should be heavily monitored by the PD to detect wrongful use, thus there would be no privacy. Some people might get pissed over this, though of course it would be a necessity. Anyway, just tell 'em to log on to irc if you have something that goes on for more than one or two messages.
Not-so-sad panda
Skulty

Postby Skulty » Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:06 pm

Well, at least it wasn't a duplicate... :)
But you're right, it was a bad suggestion... :(

Postby 15454 » Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:54 pm

people used to occ chat for hours in this one towen I am in, but dont worry, they died so... plus it was a long time ago and pd didnt do anything about it.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:42 pm

Did you report them? Otherwise you should know that there are hundreds of locations in Cantr. On the contrary to the urban legend, the PD does not read every message in every town.
Also, speaking Out Of Character (it's not OCC, people!!) is not really a CRB, merely an annoyance. Only if it leads to actions In Character, that makes it a breach.
Not-so-sad panda

Postby 15454 » Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:23 pm

SekoETC wrote:Did you report them? Otherwise you should know that there are hundreds of locations in Cantr. On the contrary to the urban legend, the PD does not read every message in every town.
Also, speaking Out Of Character (it's not OCC, people!!) is not really a CRB, merely an annoyance. Only if it leads to actions In Character, that makes it a breach.
I did report them and the pd said it was ok :?

Return to “Rejected Suggestions”