You should allow people to invent in Cantr

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after rejection

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

theguy

Postby theguy » Sun Sep 11, 2005 5:54 pm

resercing items sounds good inveting random stuff sounds impossible but inventing itself sounds great if somebody looked around :roll: they would find a perfect ider although giving the ider to one person would be bad some people would never find out about it like people on remote island that nobody from the coastle citys near the first invetors city have ever found

are there remote islands that have never been found ?

if nobody understands this post dont read any of my future posts
Nick

Postby Nick » Sun Sep 11, 2005 6:00 pm

Why does this topic have a third page...

There is no balanced way to implement this, even in THEORY.

Now, just think how it would work in practice. Ouch.
Pie

Postby Pie » Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:44 pm

Allright.. lets Make this whole thing ALOT SIMPLER. I really want to be able to make new things.. and YOU KNOW YOU DO TO!!!

So.. we could do it like this.

Resourses, 5 grames of wood (Pencil :wink:)

Tools: Stone table. Can only be made inside.

You click on the "Building or manufactur somthing" button.. at every catigory, there could be a little button, called "Invint". When you click on that button, you have to Give the name of what you want to invint, the recourses you want to use.. and then you click next. You are now in a project called "Invinting". A message has been sent to sombody in the resourses department, or taloring department, And if they exept this "Invintion", the person who invinted it will get a "Blueprint", and with this blueprint, they can make this "Invintion".

It's a HECK OF A LOT SIMPLER THAN EVERY OTHER IDEA HERE!!!

And also.. This isn't really SUPPOSED TO BE BALANCED. I'ts supposed to be able to tip the balance IN WARS!!!!

If you have more ideas of what this would need to be made.. pleas post it.
Pnumerical Intuitiong Engyn
Paranormal Investigation Exorsism
Porcupine Interspecies Extra_poison
Pick In Enter

... The headquarters of P.I.E.!!!
Racetyme

Postby Racetyme » Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:55 pm

More resource department members, for one.
RAM DISK is not an installation procedure!
Pie

Postby Pie » Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:07 am

well.. it would really be simple to program. The recourse department member has a button to say "YES!!" And a button to say "NOOO!!!!!" And he also has a button to say "how much attak this thing can dish out" And another button to say "How much attak this thing can take." And then, now here is the tricy part. Hou to have, so when you have the bluprints, this new THING is inside of your "building or manufactur somthing" button. lets see.. OOO!!

Just say.. in bitmap lingo.. When bluprint is inside invintory {Name of invintion} is inside of the "Building or manufactur somthing" Button, inside of catigory invintion button was pushed, and would need exact amount of resourses That the caracter said. or you could have that the recourse department menber sais how much resourses you need.

And don't ask me how you would say that in bitmap lingo.

IN YOUR FACE!!

Pick In Enter

Ahoyhoy

Postby Ahoyhoy » Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:11 am

Well since you renewed this topic i'm going to reason why inventions are a good idea.

Cantr is supposed to be a world simulator. If you want a world simulator you gotta give people a tech edge. The Europeans for example had superior weaponry compared to the Native Americans and really the whole world and that's why they were able to influence the entire globe. If a continent becomes a scientifically advanced continent it could influence other continents far more easily than if everyone stays at the same level of tech. It may not be easy to implement this idea now because there is only so many inventions that could be invented, but if Cantr ever does start having a larger item tree, having people have to "think" before they could make that invention and pass that idea onto people would make Cantr a more realistic world simulator.
Pie

Postby Pie » Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:15 am

Dude.. I don't want nothing that is" "Somone just thinking and they only get the swords that the members have alredy made" I want "Thinking up how to make a nuke befor the members have programed it and making it easyer to get objects such as whepons and clothing." Read my last two posts for more info about my idea.

Pick In Enter

ornithopter

Postby ornithopter » Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:20 am

Pie, having something in game before it has been programmed in is impossible. A hidden item tree that has to be researched is pretty much as close to that as we can get.
"I couldn't afford a bottle of wine," I said, "so I've drawn a picture of one on some cardboard."
Pie

Postby Pie » Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:39 am

what do you mean It's "Imposible?" I'ts just "Improbible"

and really.. i just explained how it could work alredy.

Pick In Enter

El_Skwidd

Postby El_Skwidd » Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:14 am

No, Pie, it really is impossible.

Before you can make a nuke, the RD has to make it possible for you to make a nuke. Otherwise, there just isn't a nuke for you to make. You know OOC that nukes work, and maybe even what makes them work, but you can't bring them into Cantr because Cantr doesn't know how they work. That's why RD and ProgD have to program the nuke... so that Cantr knows how the nuke works and what it does. Pie can't tell Cantr what Pie can do. Cantr knows the limits of what Pie can do, and it's up to Pie to find out what they are.

I was originally going to put in some kind of twisted analogy, but I think I explained it enough.
Cdls wrote:Explaining Cantr to a newb would be like explaining sex to a virgin.

Let the world hear these words once more:
Save us, oh Lord, from the wrath of the Norsemen!
formerly known as hf

Postby formerly known as hf » Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:25 am

Pie wrote:well.. it would really be simple to program.
No - it wouldn't - I'm not a programmer, but I can see this would be nightmarish to get programmed. It'd need constant attention from the RD and ProgD at the least

- and the rest what Skwidd said...
ornithopter

Postby ornithopter » Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:26 am

You explained how it could rather roughly work for weapons, but what if I want to invent the assembly line or even something simpler like a post holer? Besides, all your system does is allow any player with a stone table to create a weapon out of whatever they have happen to have at hand, which doesn't strike me as a very good thing.

The suggestion that struck me as most reasonable was to keep track of hours spent working on an inventing project and what materials were at hand, and then giving characters chosen according to those statistics blueprints of new devices.

Arms races aside, some guy in Siom invents the typewriter and starts selling them. Until someone else reverse-engineers (or independently invents) the device, he is the only person who can make them. Cantr's first monopoly!
"I couldn't afford a bottle of wine," I said, "so I've drawn a picture of one on some cardboard."
Ahoyhoy

Postby Ahoyhoy » Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:43 am

Well the guy who invents an item like a type writer should be able to teach others how to make one.
El_Skwidd

Postby El_Skwidd » Sun Oct 23, 2005 3:36 am

Yeah, of course. Otherwise it would be kind of a waste 8)

I like the idea, but I don't know if it would be good for Cantr. If I see a guy running around with a tommy gun and a couple of hand grenades, I'd probably spiral downwards into a depression. I think that if this was implemented in any way, the departments would have to approve all of the submissions... which I guess they would have to do anyway to program them :oops:
Cdls wrote:Explaining Cantr to a newb would be like explaining sex to a virgin.

Let the world hear these words once more:

Save us, oh Lord, from the wrath of the Norsemen!
formerly known as hf

Postby formerly known as hf » Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:29 am

It would require constant staff attention for them to handout the 'blueprints' or to make new blueprints to be automatically handed out, or the approve new designs etc.
Which just isn't possible - they're stretched enough as it is...

Return to “Rejected Suggestions”