90% complete project, prepare for next [DUPLICATE]

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after rejection

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

the_antisocial_hermit

Postby the_antisocial_hermit » Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:17 pm

Long projects can be interrupted as it is, so it really wouldn't matter, BarbaricAvatar. It at least would give some people a chance of having another project or two in queue when they thought they might not be able to get on to switch, etc. The point is that this gives the option of working on multiple things in sequence rather than choosing one long one. Not to give you projects you couldn't be interrupted in.
Last edited by the_antisocial_hermit on Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glitch! is dead! Long live Glitch!
Remember guys and gals, it's all Pretendy Fun Time Games!
Sicofonte

Postby Sicofonte » Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:22 pm

I do agree with the antisocial hermit

But this was wrotte before she posted, so...

Well, let's see, those that don't like this suggestion just because it can harm the roplaying or be unfair for some players.

An hipotethical situation:

There is a well-armed character working in a town with 1 slot, trying to be a slot hogger.
And there is a poor character in the same place trying to survive.

Poor character doesn't dare to drag the well-armed one from the slot, so he waits for his projects to finish in order to get the slot without disturbing him.

With the projects enqueueing:

The poor one wait and wait, but that annoying well-armed guy never frees the slot.

Without the projects enqueueing:
The poor one wait and wait, but that annoying well-armed guy ALMOST never frees the slot (he has set a ALOT project with ALOT of repetitions).
Then, finally, he get the slot because the neverending multirepetitions projects has finished, and he can start working, and then the well-armed guy drags him from the slot and... :?

I can't see the difference.

If we are willing of ENFORCING roleplaying, we should:
- remove the repetitions of the projects.
- remove the percentage view in the characters page.
- to aim with a gun all the players that don't read the f****** log and always waits for you to repeat what you have been repeating several times in the days before, and to shout them "READ! READ! READ! MOTHERF*****!".

If not, we should stop complaining aboutt the slightly-bad consequences for the roleplaying that some useful suggestions could bring.
Tyche es una malparida. Espero que Ramnus y Pluto intervengan... o no :P
SumBum

Postby SumBum » Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:25 pm

I see this as a more convenient way to do something I already do when I can. Doesn't work with all chars, but if I know I won't be able to log on for x amount of time, I will have my chars set up a larger project to keep them busy till I'm able to play again. I've seen a lot of people do this, even asking others not to bother helping them while they "sleep."

It might hinder RP a little. Though, I think the people who want to RP will still participate as much as they can anyway. Maybe this will even allow more RP since people won't spend so much "maintenance" time on their chars?
the_antisocial_hermit

Postby the_antisocial_hermit » Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:36 pm

Yea, it won't hinder RP that much, I don't think. People already start new projects and ignore everything that goes on anyway if they aren't inclined to RP. Longer projects are good if your char needs a lot of a resource, but what if they have several tools to repair or make and don't really need any food or some other resource? This option would help them. It's not just about slots. And I agree, it might help RP some. You set up a queue, then you don't have to spend those minutes as often to click this, click that, go in there and pick up resources you need, click this, click that...

And I like Sico's points.
Glitch! is dead! Long live Glitch!
Remember guys and gals, it's all Pretendy Fun Time Games!
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:58 pm

There are no one slot locations, I think the minimum is 4. If that poor person doesn't want to mess with the armed person, they could go elsewhere or kindly ask the armed person if they could let him work for a while, maybe pay some taxes even.
Not-so-sad panda
Sicofonte

Postby Sicofonte » Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:39 pm

SekoETC wrote:There are no one slot locations, I think the minimum is 4. If that poor person doesn't want to mess with the armed person, they could go elsewhere or kindly ask the armed person if they could let him work for a while, maybe pay some taxes even.

Of course.

But I was exposing an hipothetical situation, that, BTW, can be easily abstracted to more general situations. For example, a place of N slots, with X well-armed slot-hoggers and Y poor characters trying to survive, with 3<N<X, and 0<Y.

Of course, the "they could go elsewhere" is a good excuse for anything in Cantr: the slots are scarce? go elsewhere; the resources are useless? go elsewhere; the resources are useless and the slots are scarce in all the island where you are? go elsewhere; the place is full of characters whose players pretend to be fair but you can't do anything to avoid them killing and enslaving your characters? go elsewhere. Unfortunately, in the last two examples, "go elsewhere" means "let your character die and go elsewhere", but fortunately we have the Resource D. and Players D. to deal with those situations.

For the case of the slot-hoggers, I prefer to look for well-armed characters that would gladly help me cleaning that place of hoggers :twisted: :twisted:
Frits

Postby Frits » Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:17 am

Odd. Is this needed?
This can happen every time a project for any of my chars finishes so it happens a lot. The way i work around it is to always have two or more projects that need doing. Every char can do this using repeating projects for farming food or chopping wood, those are the ones you default to when your other shortterm project ticks over and shows 96% and you need to log off. If you're making a bow you can have 4, 5 or 6 projects that need finishing, find the largest one and tag it your defaultproject. Also start doing your two-hour repairjobs and burials at daybreak not whenever you think of them if you hate being idle.
N-Aldwitch

Postby N-Aldwitch » Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:02 pm

..or you could just streamline that whole confusing process with this suggestion, Frits. ;)
Nakranoth's "evil" character says:
"Thief! That's terrible! *shakes his head* That would hurt people's feeling if I did that."

http://www.sylorn.com - Free MMORPG in development.. need help.
Frits

Postby Frits » Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:14 am

Guess i used to many words above.
It's not confusing if you spend a moment to consider how to deal with projects. After you finish one project you'll undoubtedly start another.
Sicofonte

Postby Sicofonte » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:18 pm

Rejected as duplicate and a way of non desired automation.

Look at here for queueing of short term projects

Return to “Rejected Suggestions”