Direction

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after rejection

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

*Wiro

Direction

Postby *Wiro » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:53 pm

I think that behind the north-west, east, south-east etc messages for travelling, there should be the amount of degrees too. Especially when tired it can be a pain to quickly figure out which is where.
Read about my characters by following this link.
Elros

Postby Elros » Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:06 am

Unsure on what exactly you mean here... :?:
Every action has a consequence.
joo

Postby joo » Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:32 am

She is walking in direction north-north-east (27°). She is walking faster than you, in front of you.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:43 am

I don't think people are supposed to be able to tell the exact angle, but it would be useful that if there were two roads leading in the same general direction, it would say which one is more towards north or something.
Not-so-sad panda
Jos Elkink
Founder Emeritus

Postby Jos Elkink » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:40 am

It was a conscious decision not to do this. Nobody can read directions that precisely. Maybe if someone had a kompas or some instrument like this, which would lead to advanced / more precise visibility, it would be a nice suggestion, but not for everyone.
*Wiro

Postby *Wiro » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:51 pm

This is more of an OOC confusion than the character being confused. I was talking about sea travel, by the way, where the map location shows degrees instead of the NW, N, NE signs. It is really annoying being OOCly confused about something your character knows. Your character knows that the harbour is norh-north-east, but because you're tired and the map system is rotated too, I sometimes end up making mistakes and having to re-check the picture several times, turning my head up and down to figure out in which direction my character is seeing that dang harbour.

So this is not a suggestion meant to give more information, it is just to make it OOCly more clear what your character IC sees.
Elros

Postby Elros » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:14 am

*Wiro wrote:This is more of an OOC confusion than the character being confused. I was talking about sea travel, by the way, where the map location shows degrees instead of the NW, N, NE signs. It is really annoying being OOCly confused about something your character knows. Your character knows that the harbour is norh-north-east, but because you're tired and the map system is rotated too, I sometimes end up making mistakes and having to re-check the picture several times, turning my head up and down to figure out in which direction my character is seeing that dang harbour.

So this is not a suggestion meant to give more information, it is just to make it OOCly more clear what your character IC sees.

With some practice you will find navigation to be fairly easy even with the current set-up. I think the added complication makes it more realstic since navigating ships with gps's takes a lot of skill... :wink:
Every action has a consequence.
*Wiro

Postby *Wiro » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:18 am

Elros wrote:
*Wiro wrote:This is more of an OOC confusion than the character being confused. I was talking about sea travel, by the way, where the map location shows degrees instead of the NW, N, NE signs. It is really annoying being OOCly confused about something your character knows. Your character knows that the harbour is norh-north-east, but because you're tired and the map system is rotated too, I sometimes end up making mistakes and having to re-check the picture several times, turning my head up and down to figure out in which direction my character is seeing that dang harbour.

With some practice you will find navigation to be fairly easy even with the current set-up. I think the added complication makes it more realstic since navigating ships with gps's takes a lot of skill... :wink:

It's pretty annoying if you've got three harbours and they're like north-north-east, north-west and east, and you're trying to figure out which side is where, but end up making mistakes causing you to be stuck with docking in the wrong place because you can't cancel docking, and only being able to dock to the right harbour afterwards (if you don't get stuck on the spot and end up having to sail away first for the dockable places to show up). Realistic? Nu-uh.
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:31 am

It happened to one of my characters recently that he had the choice to dock to two different locations in the same apparent direction. I know that's a bit of a freak chance and will most likely only occur around islands with very close locations, but I think being able to see the exact amount of degrees would have helped to determine which location is which. I think my character should have been able to tell them apart.

edit: Would it be possible to give a rounded numerical value? Like, "about 135"?
Last edited by Piscator on Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pretty in pink.
*Wiro

Postby *Wiro » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:32 am

Piscator wrote:It happened to one of my characters recently that he had the choice to dock to two different locations in the same apparent direction. I know that's a bit of a freak chance and will most likely only occur around islands with very close locations, but I think being able to see the exact amount of degrees would have helped to determine which location is which. I think my character should have been able to tell them apart.

One of mine was in a similiar situation. So it's not all that rare I think.
*Wiro

Postby *Wiro » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:40 pm

It seems this one was kind of forgotten. It was rejected for the wrong reasons (explained above, this was for sea travel, not land travel).

Basically instead of:

Harbour - North East.

It says:

Harbour - North East, [degrees here]

The only difference is OOC, IC your character still sees the same thing.

Return to “Rejected Suggestions”