Remove the "Un-editable" option from notes

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after rejection

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

*Wiro

Remove the "Un-editable" option from notes

Postby *Wiro » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:44 pm

I mean, when was the last time you locked a note in real life?
It's so unrealistic! Notes, Letters and other stuff written on paper can and will always be changed by people.

Discuss.

PS. If all you have to contribute to this topic is "But then people can erase the map I worked on for so long!" then I will simply say "Then don't leave it on the ground for others to take.". :)
Cranus

Postby Cranus » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:52 pm

Who said that Cantr must be realistic?
I say: no. Just because I think that there is no reason to change this.
*Wiro

Postby *Wiro » Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:05 pm

I didn't say Cantr has to be realistic. I'm merely saying that something simple as this should be changed to add more roleplaying possiblities.

Imagine this: Some queen orders you, a spy from the enemy, to deliver a message to one of the other queens.
She put it on un-editable and now there's no way you could change it to make it look real.
Of course you could make a new note, but that's so.. fake.
If it was editable you could cause the other queen to become angry at the queen that asked you to deliver the letter. Or you could make her attack YOUR enemies.
Miri

Postby Miri » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:41 pm

*Wiro wrote:Of course you could make a new note, but that's so.. fake.

Why?
That's the way to go
Razorlance

Postby Razorlance » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:01 pm

Miri wrote:

Why?
That's the way to go

Another un-necessary note perhaps?
*Wiro

Postby *Wiro » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:08 pm

But that's not the point. Lets not make this discussion go off-topic.
I don't see why having notes 'locked' is good in any way.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:17 pm

There are three other topics related to the deletion of notes.

http://www.cantr.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=455
http://www.cantr.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3750
http://www.cantr.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5819

Uneditable notes are the only reliable means of passing down Cantr's history. That fact in and of itself is enough of an argument to keep things as they are, IMO.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
tiddy ogg

Postby tiddy ogg » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:17 pm

Id not have thought it necessary to explain this... You have a note of the laws, or some other important thing. Make it editable and any Tom Dick or Harry can modify it, keep quiet for a day or two, then follow his own version of the laws, citing the note as justification, denying that he had anything to do with the alterations.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:19 pm

The same reason why they cannot be deleted - to preserve history. If notes could not be made uneditable, it should also be possible to delete them. Nowadays you can have permanent (although short) notes through landmarks (although their amount in a town is limited) and harder to destroy notes through signs. But I think there should be a hardcoded way of producing longer texts that cannot be wiped with a mouseclick before Cantr is ready to get rid of uneditable notes altogether. I'm surprised people aren't using building signs to provide a more permanent non-stealable version of the local laws.

Edit: Wow, people actually make their laws uneditable? Not when my characters write them. I've noticed you always forget something and have to fix them later on. If you have loads of expired versions lying around and you can't edit or wipe them, people will be confused which one is the one they should follow. Naturally you need to keep a copy to yourself in case someone steals it. The laws are written down and displayed to inform others of them, but the note itself is not the law, it's the idea behind it. And if someone tampers with the note, it's up to the people who uphold those laws to correct him. Also if you keep the ground clean and only have the laws and maybe a few other topics posted, you will notice each time someone picks up or drops a note so you're likely to know who it was if the laws are changed.

I think the best reason for allowing permanent notes is recording stories of dead people who died away from their friends, for example ones that were kidnapped and murdered. The murderer may carry the permanent note throughout his life to keep it from being seen, but when he dies, it might be found by someone else and history will learn what happened. If you remove permanent notes, you make it possible to dispose of all the evidence of a crime and people will be more inclined to start building projects with names that reveal who killed them.
Last edited by SekoETC on Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Not-so-sad panda
*Wiro

Postby *Wiro » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:29 pm

Tiddy - You're pretty good if you manage to change the laws without anyone noticing. You still have to pick them up, edit them and then drop them.
But, of course, you could still act as if you were "editing a map that had some wrong information".

Doug - I agree with you here. I love reading all these stories in the Cantr webzines. It makes me wish that I joined much, much earlier.

Seko - Now I'm talking about the stories and all, I guess I should thank you. I saw a lot of your posts and learnt a lot of things from. So, thanks. :)

I guess that this suggestion can be sent to rejected now.
Cantr history is great to read, and it shouldn't go lost.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:54 pm

Rejected as a (kind of) duplicate.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
Voltenion

Postby Voltenion » Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:03 pm

Fake? If you want this to be more realistic it makes more sense that the spy made a NEW note. Really, can you imagine the two types of caligraphy: one from a Queen and another from the Spy? A new note is way more realistic. Just to point this out, since this has been rejected already. :P
"Delete Fu Island" activist.
*Wiro

Postby *Wiro » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:51 pm

That's not what I meant. I meant that using a new note and *act* like it's the same note, but edited, is fake. ;)

Return to “Rejected Suggestions”