Punching bag? - Duplicate - already accepted

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after rejection

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Appleide

Punching bag? - Duplicate - already accepted

Postby Appleide » Wed Nov 17, 2004 7:50 am

If you need to build up skill without killing people/animals, maybe you could hurt a punching bag instead.

(find a better name!)

So what do you think?
Pirog

Postby Pirog » Wed Nov 17, 2004 7:59 am

I think combat training should be a non-tool/machine-relying project out of game balance purposes. Unless making dozens (or even more) of possible combat training "machines" the resources needed would make it very unfair.

IRL you can train your "combat skills" in a lot of different ways. If you want to train a sword skill you probably think of making a wooden sword...but if wood wasn't around you could make such a replica from a lot of other materials too.

I think a direct method to improve your combat skill would be good.
The other skills could be harder to figure out how to improve, but combat is such a diverce and complex skill that an actual training project would be most realistic in my view.

It would also be good for game purposes, since soldiers would now spend their days training their combat skill, making it necessary for the government to organize ways to keep them well fed and cared for since they wouldn't have time to gather other resources.
Eat the invisible food, Industrialist...it's delicious!
Agar

Postby Agar » Wed Nov 17, 2004 8:11 am

Or ... the soilders could hit each other? War tag anyone?

Can we get a back credit on all the training we've been doing? :twisted:
Reality was never my strong point.
Pirog

Postby Pirog » Wed Nov 17, 2004 8:53 am

Yes, that is also a way...but that leaves plenty of time to work with other projects. I would like to see combat training as something time consuming, giving organized societies with disciplined guards a leverage over town militias who have to work occasionally.

And I hope that it in the hitting case will give an equal amount of damage if you hit for 0 %. Training isn't about trying to kill other people...that is more of a game, at least according to the Stone Knights :)
Eat the invisible food, Industrialist...it's delicious!
The Industriallist

Postby The Industriallist » Wed Nov 17, 2004 4:48 pm

I'm not so sure about the existance of substitute training weapons...though if all weapon skills are the same, bone clubs used at ~10% would be very, very safe, and very cheap.

Also...hitting people is very tiring, isn't it? So training by hitting would make you very bad at doing anything else at the same time. Which is what you wanted, yes?
"If I can be a good crackhead, I can be a good Christian"

-A subway preacher
Agar

Postby Agar » Wed Nov 17, 2004 5:20 pm

I really really like the idea of training weapons. Padded clubs, dull swords, wooden or split bamboo swords, training knives, they're all good.

It should be AT LEAST as hard to make the training weapon as it is to make the weapon, BUT it doesn't need to have the sam materials.

Fore example, training knife. Now it would be great to have it be balanced and weighted like the real knife, but it will still give you some way to improve yourself just by having something to practice with. A short stick would be simplest, but rather silly, and if you can make a real knife, I'd think you'd feel silly practicing with a twig. A carved and shape block of wood padded with leather sounds much better.

These weapons are designed for training purposes, so shouldn't be able to do much of ANY damage, maybe 1-3% at best. A few light bruises and a lesson learned.

ONE EXCEPTION would be bokken, wooden training swords. Miyamoto Musashi was reputed to have killed a man weilding a nodachi, two handed sword, using a bokken carved from an oar. Wooden swords are really just long narrow clubs and should do about the same damage.
Reality was never my strong point.
formerly known as hf

Postby formerly known as hf » Wed Nov 17, 2004 5:47 pm

I like the idea of combat training, with 'training' weapons... t'd be funny to walk into a town and see people whacking each other...

Not so sure about 'training' projects though... I think it's be best to stick with the current mechanism for combat...
Whoever you vote for.

The government wins.
Appleide

Postby Appleide » Fri Nov 19, 2004 5:31 am

If there were to be training weapons, then we need to know if training with a training sword is the same as training as a sabre or a longsword. Its no god if you are only ever good a with a training weapon.
AoM

Postby AoM » Sat Nov 20, 2004 11:52 pm

I agree. I think that with the implementation of skills, it would be appropriate to train all of them, including weapon skill. I don't know whether attacking with a bow has any effect on one's skill with a longsword, but I think that that's something we'll have to find out in game.

I like the idea of sparring as a way to improve your melee skill. I think that there should be a sparring weapon for each weapon category... meaning that sticks could pass as a sparring weapon for all types of swords... a sap could pass as a sparring weapon for clubs and knives and warhammers... etc... Bows I think are different, and we should be able to build targets... like an archery range, or simply gain combat skill with a bow when hunting...

~AoM
colonel

Postby colonel » Mon Nov 29, 2004 7:03 am

I like this idea... then my characters would not get beat up every time they spoke! :lol:
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:53 pm

Well, this topic clearly went off topic right off the bat, but I seriously want punching bags in game. I don't care how much they cost, at least one of my charries simply gotta have one or she'll eventually start punching people without warning.

I propose 2000 grams of leather for the bag and it would be filled with sand. 10000 grams would make a nice round number. Maybe add in a bit of iron for the chain to hang it from the ceiling.

The skill this would mainly improve is physical strenght. Fighting skill would be secondary, since hitting a stationary object is very different from living, moving targets.

Practicing should be project based and the lenght of the project would be one hour, without chance of multiplying. This way people couldn't set their character on training mode for days.
Not-so-sad panda
Pie

Postby Pie » Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:02 pm

wee really need this to be implumented.
Pnumerical Intuitiong Engyn
Paranormal Investigation Exorsism
Porcupine Interspecies Extra_poison
Pick In Enter

... The headquarters of P.I.E.!!!
Chris Johnson

Postby Chris Johnson » Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:06 pm

This is really now a duplicate of an already accepted suggestion, see Practice Pell

Moved to Rejected Suggestions as a duplicate

Return to “Rejected Suggestions”