Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Solfius

Food Storage

Postby Solfius » Sun Jul 20, 2003 9:10 am

Part of a post I made to the Yahoo! group ages ago:

----- Original Message -----
To: cantr_ii@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, February 03, 2003 9:26 PM
Subject: Solfius' thoughts on...Buildings, deteriorating buildings, destroying buildings, water, deteriorating tools, and food storage.

Food Storage
A minor point, perhaps we ought ot have cold storage rooms (and/or containers) for food, and in a normal room they would still deteriorate like outside, but slower, but in a cold storage room/ container they would deteriorate even slower than that.

Just some ideas.
Looking forward to the constructive critisism.

Solfius
Meh

Postby Meh » Mon Jul 21, 2003 3:07 am

Maybe a cheaper version would be a cellar?

There was also something but I forget the name.
They would dig ice in the winter, dig a large deep hole, line the bottom and half the sides with ice, leaving room for a door on top. S basiaclly they had a cube buried that would stay cold for most or all of the year.

Now that we have meat again maybe, is there salt in the game? Meat should spoil quickly. Adding salt would preserve it. The roman legion were paid in salt for this very reason.
Solfius

Postby Solfius » Mon Jul 21, 2003 5:54 pm

don't see how a cellar would be cheaper, you mean only having to dig it out? but surely it would amount to the same amount of work as digging the stone and building a room?

I like the idea about salt though.
Cathy Willey

Postby Cathy Willey » Mon Jul 21, 2003 6:27 pm

Long long ago, when fish was first introduced, the Resources Department was discussing a "fish-salting barrel" - you pack X fish and Y salt into a barrel for a long time. But there were programming problems with it - making a barrel both a machine and a container, I think.
Meh

Postby Meh » Mon Jul 21, 2003 6:47 pm

[quote="Solfius"]don't see how a cellar would be cheaper, you mean only having to dig it out? but surely it would amount to the same amount of work as digging the stone and building a room?
quote]

It's cheaper only in the fact that the earth keeps it cooler than a building exposed to the sun on the surface. So to be more clear cheaper in that you onlt need a hole and some ice not real good insulation or thick walls or power.
Meh

Postby Meh » Mon Jul 21, 2003 6:52 pm

Cathy Willey wrote:Long long ago, when fish was first introduced, the Resources Department was discussing a "fish-salting barrel" - you pack X fish and Y salt into a barrel for a long time. But there were programming problems with it - making a barrel both a machine and a container, I think.

I was thinking of salted meat as more of a meal like cookies. I don't know how one makes salted meat in reality, maybe it who be a machinless project?

*looks on Yahoo under "salting meat"*

This was neat...

http://www.salt.org.il/frame_rel.html

Maybe the fish slating barrel should have only been treated as a machine.
Rob Maule

Postby Rob Maule » Mon Jul 21, 2003 9:13 pm

Maybe a salting machine could just stay that way. After the meat is salted, you pick it up and put it in storage. "Salting" could just be a process. Wouldn't have to be a 24/7 kind of thing. It would be like cooking fish. It's still cooked after you're done.

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”