Adding masts and sails to boats to increase coolness

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after implementation

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Pie

Adding masts and sails to boats to increase coolness

Postby Pie » Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:16 am

Options for boats. HEH!!!!

For sertain boats.. like a rowing boat... or some other smaller boats... you don't have any sails. You just row.
It would go like this.(WARNING. All of the following is a thery, of wich the main idea should be cept in the implumention of this topic.)

A galion has 6 spaces.

a darter has 4 spaces

a rickshaw has 3 spaces

Or somthing of the sort.
OBJECTs

Ok... a MainSTAFF... or.. you know... the big wooden pole that is in the midle of the ships becous it is so big...

1000g of wood.

It uses 2 of the BOAT spaces, but PROVIDES 6 sail spaces.

IMPLUMENTATION AND RESONING

Ok, In most boats, you can row, or you can just sit back and relax as the sails do all the work. With my idea, you can be a hard working explorer, with half of the work.

Also, this will make boat spetialisation posible.

OBJECT
Mainsail. It uses 3 spaces

700g of roap

1000 g of cloth

Medium sail.2

500g of roap

700g of cloth

Side sale 1 space.

200g of roap

500g of cloth.
IMPLUMENTATION

With this, you are spetialising your boat and making it faster, easyer to turn, and just plain cooler.

ECTRA STUF

As you see, i am eyther a GENIUS, or REALLY TIERD. I will clame EITHER ONE Depending on your reaction to my idea.

(WARNING.... side sail is NOT A REAL SAIL... and i don't know what that sail is calld. Also, this is ALL DEBAITABLE. All i want is to be able to say GET YOUR MONKEY OFF OF MY MAINSALE in Cantr.[/b]
Pnumerical Intuitiong Engyn
Paranormal Investigation Exorsism
Porcupine Interspecies Extra_poison
Pick In Enter

... The headquarters of P.I.E.!!!
MrPenguin589

Postby MrPenguin589 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:35 am

Okay, it's not a mainstaff. It's a mast. As for side sail, I don't quite know what you mean. As for the rest of it, good idea. Sorta.
All of my endings are waiting to begin.
Sho

Postby Sho » Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:13 am

It seems to me that implementing rowing in a realistic and exploit-proof way would be a major design/coding project. Increasing speed with a sail might be doable. Slots for upgrades - I don't know. I haven't seen any cases of the Cantr system being able to restrict construction of a machine to a certain count.
formerly known as hf

Postby formerly known as hf » Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:28 pm

I like it, I've always thought that boats should have sails, but never likes the thought that they had to have sails, thus making them too costly for most people (I like the sailing tradition Cantr has)
Oh, and I changed the title of the thread, so it actually refelcts the contents...
Whoever you vote for.

The government wins.
Agar

Postby Agar » Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:18 pm

I like an idea about making boats faster. That's fine.

HOWEVER, making sails a requirement for some or all boats is a bad, bad idea. Anyone thinking that should stop and think of how much cotton they've seen. Gold is more common than silk.

Having the sails be an option for boats sounds great, just as long as they remain optional.
Reality was never my strong point.
Sho

Postby Sho » Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:42 pm

Sho wrote:I haven't seen any cases of the Cantr system being able to restrict construction of a machine to a certain count.

Sorry, momentary lapse of memory there - I forgot about locks and engines. Oops. So I think it should be possible to implement optional sails that increase speed, and I support the idea.
Pie

Postby Pie » Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:12 pm

HURAY!!! I ROCK!!!!

By side sail, I mean a smaller sail, smaller than the medium sail.

And also, there would be smaller masts, and stuff.

and WHY DID YOU CHANGE THE NAME OF THE THREAD!?!?!?!?!?!?ITS NAME WAS COOL BEFORE!!!!

*Grumbles*

Pick In Enter

formerly known as hf

Postby formerly known as hf » Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:52 pm

you can edit your first post and change it back...

This way anyone looking at the forums maight actually have some idea what the thread is about (rather than just ignoring it because it was started by pie...)
Whoever you vote for.

The government wins.
Sunni Daez

Postby Sunni Daez » Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:22 pm

I like being able to add sails to boats, if adding them is to difficult, then the option of building with or without the sail?

Run...Dragon...Run!!!
Pie

Postby Pie » Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:57 pm

Actually, there isn't an option to build sails until the initial boat is finished(In my head... that is)

You finish your longboat, THEN you can add sails.

Ok.... I'm gong to add a.... voting thingy.

(As it turnes out... i can't. HULISE.....

H FARMER, GET TO WORK!!!!

Pick In Enter

Crosshair

Postby Crosshair » Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:12 pm

I think he means a Mizzen or a Genoa, when he says sidesail... Sorry, my sailing side coming through... i like this idea... Better funded projects make faster ships... nice...
[url=http://dragcave.net/view/tvkg][img]http://dragcave.net/image/tvkg.gif[/img][/url]

[url=http://dragcave.net/view/RgKP][img]http://dragcave.net/image/RgKP.gif[/img][/url]
MrPenguin589

Postby MrPenguin589 » Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:23 pm

Crosshair wrote:I think he means a Mizzen or a Genoa, when he says sidesail... Sorry, my sailing side coming through... i like this idea... Better funded projects make faster ships... nice...

But a mizzen requires a mizzen mast. A genoa I could see. But we're thinking of modern asymetric sails, aren't we, and not the square type sails that Pie is probably talking about?
Crosshair

Postby Crosshair » Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:24 pm

Yep. But we have cars... need i say more?
[url=http://dragcave.net/view/tvkg][img]http://dragcave.net/image/tvkg.gif[/img][/url]

[url=http://dragcave.net/view/RgKP][img]http://dragcave.net/image/RgKP.gif[/img][/url]
Sho

Postby Sho » Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:56 pm

Sails of any type are hardly high technology. That's not a problem at all. If there is a problem it is in the implementation - I've yet to see a proposal that would be implementable and functional and wouldn't clutter up the manufacturing menu with dozens of new ships.
MrPenguin589

Postby MrPenguin589 » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:37 pm

Sho wrote:Sails of any type are hardly high technology.

Hardly high technology? If you don't know anything about them then of course that's what you think. Just a big piece of cloth, right? WRONG! There are many many things in sails that would make them high technology.

My parents work for North Sails (which is the largest sail-making company in the world) and I've been sailing for a looong time. Trust me, modern sails are more complicated than you think. Medevil sails were usually nothing more than cloth, so that is what I would expect to see in Cantr.
Last edited by MrPenguin589 on Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”