Prosthetics

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after implementation

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

prometheus

Prosthetics

Postby prometheus » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:47 am

The only thread I found for this was locked, but we have our trusty pirates, and we have plenty of people missing limbs, but no reliable way to RP replacements without either holding on to a lump of whatever material the prosthesis is made of, or just ignoring that altogether.
I'd like to see hands and legs, to start, since we now have eyepatches, maybe glass eyes later down the road.
But I'm not just talking Pegleg Pete here--we have descriptions now, and I think we should take full advantage of that.
It truly is an art these days.
At the very least, make gold an option as well as wood, if not steel and other metals.
And a bejeweled leg? We're jewelifying everything! We can do that.
Wolfsong

Re: Prosthetics

Postby Wolfsong » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:53 am

a wooden peg leg
an iron hook hand
an aluminium, prosthetic leg
an aluminium, prosthetic arm
a glass eye
a fully articulated, steel hand
a crude, iron prosthetic hand

etc.
prometheus

Postby prometheus » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:45 pm

I don't know about the modifiers of 'crude' or 'fully articulated'. I think that should be left to the description, so that skilled artisans can change that to their will, as well as not-so-skilled artisans.
Otherwise, we fall into the 'large gold hoop earrings' trap, where it's the only kind in it's material but it's name places restrictions on it.
But that list is a good one. Would it be a pain to modify them with jewels?
It would be less bad to fake jewels as long as you have access to them than a whole golden or copper leg (which I believe should also be added to the list, solid gold leg, solid copper leg, solid gold arm, solid copper arm.)
Would it be bad form to modify 'arm' in the description to 'hand'?
Tiamo

Postby Tiamo » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:36 pm

Missing limbs and other physical disorders completely rely upon RP. There are no game mechanics supporting them and their consequential limitations.

I think prosthetics therefore should also rely upon RP only. So, a no from me to creating those as specific items.
I think ...
SumBum

Postby SumBum » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:46 pm

Tiamo wrote:Missing limbs and other physical disorders completely rely upon RP. There are no game mechanics supporting them and their consequential limitations.

I think prosthetics therefore should also rely upon RP only. So, a no from me to creating those as specific items.

The only problem with that argument is that there's already precedent set in-game. Eyeglasses exist in-game, which are used for a "physical disorder" of RP'd poor eyesight. I won't use eyepatches as an example because I've seen just as many used by char's with 2 perfectly healthy eyes and a lot of chars with scars that should have damaged their eye who don't wear a patch.

I'm neutral to the idea overall, though I could see some benefit. The Game of Thrones fan in me totally wants gold hands to be a thing.
I don't know karate, but I know KA-RAZY!! - James Brown
Wolfsong

Postby Wolfsong » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:21 am

I don't think there needs to be a game mechanic for limb loss in the game, mostly due to how inventory in Cantr already works - characters can hold 15,000 grams of stuff regardless of what it is, but aren't always assumed to be holding it in their hands. Inventory is, in Cantr, a bit like cloud storage. Everything just kinda sits in the ether until summoned or needed. So the change would be mostly (entirely?) cosmetic. The only problem I foresee is that people might play a one-legged character, then travel to another island and attempt to play their character as physically whole afterwards... But that can happen currently, anyway, with custom descriptions and should be policed the same way abuses with custom descriptions are.

With NDS in, more people seem to be playing horrific injuries (not just cool eye scars) that involve limb loss, etc. Why not have prosthetic limbs in the game to support that roleplay? Cantr's technology is easily able to replicate most prosthesis, and certainly able to replicate the prosthesis that are being suggested. Right now, without prosthetic limbs, we've got a potential glut of stumpy characters with no access to anything that might normalize (relatively) their lives.
prometheus

Postby prometheus » Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:01 pm

Yes, and again, if someone wanted to "RP" a prosthesis, they'd either have to carry around a lump of, let's say, wood, and it would be pretty much any amount, very inconsistent, or they'd have to kind of 'cheat' and not use anything at all. This being my main problem with it.
*Wiro

Postby *Wiro » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:25 pm

The carvings are perfect for this in my opinion.
Read about my characters by following this link.
prometheus

Postby prometheus » Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:02 pm

I'm only finding carvings in wood, jade, and ivory, and you cannot wear them (meaning you have to carry them, which would be frustrating for various reasons).
All in all, I think more support for disabled/physically different characters would be really nice.
computaertist

Postby computaertist » Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:26 pm

If a character is desperate for a wooden leg, perhaps they can custom-craft a pair of clogs so one of them actually replaces the missing appendage.

As for the suggestion, how about we make some kind of wearable carvings that can be used for multiple purposes including prosthetic. That way the mechanics would support but not necessarily encourage amputations. Other uses might include body piercings, non-traditional bands, and extra jewelry charms and chains. The generic term could be "accessory", e.g. "golden accessory", "wooden accessory", etc.
Mark Twain wrote:Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't.
prometheus

Postby prometheus » Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:46 pm

I like that idea, although sizes might be needed (unless we'd like a gold nose ring and a gold leg to weigh the same :shock: )
I'm curious though, what 'encourages' amputation and why is that bad? It's interesting roleplay, for sure.
Wolfsong

Postby Wolfsong » Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:49 pm

I think they should be wearable items - but expensive ones. I don't see any reason to not do it from a building standpoint, since they're mostly cosmetics. And sure, in the beginning, there might be more amputees cropping up to try them out... But the majority of people don't want to play disabled characters, and for good reason. It'll remain a niche thing IMO and a great roleplay aid. But yeah, from a builder's standpoint, putting in this seems like a solid ten minutes of effort - no effort at all. They won't affect the game balance. They would be simple to add. Heck, if it's an unwillingness to build, send me the template and I could write up 8 or so.
computaertist

Postby computaertist » Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:42 pm

Yes, different sizes are a good idea.

having an items that specifically caters to something encourages it's use. Or at least, that's the feeling I get must be the case from reading the arguments against this.

I don't know why things are bad and have given up trying to understand why they're bad. It's more productive in my mind to skip to the part where I offer alternatives for the so-called bad thing.
Mark Twain wrote:Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't.
sanchez
Administrator Emeritus

Postby sanchez » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:50 pm

Moving to Accepted 8)
viktor

Postby viktor » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:21 pm

a prosthesis seems likely as a clothing item since they literally are worn.

if that is their place then the only consideration is their categories under clothing.
we don't want to lose out on pants or shoes for wearing a prosthetic leg
we don't want to lose out on gloves or rings for wearing a prosthetic arm/hand (now if you got 2 hooks that's different but you can still put rings on a hook even)

I think prosthetics are a great idea :)

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”