d) Who cares about new players anyway?
4%

Total votes: 102
Bmot
Game Mechanics Chair / HR/PD Member

Re: EchoMan's New Player Newspawn Planet

Postby Bmot » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:23 pm

I can commit for Dutch and English.
Richard Dawkins wrote:We privileged few, who won the lottery of birth against all odds, how dare we whine at our inevitable return to that prior state from which the vast majority have never stirred?
freiana

Postby freiana » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:32 pm

I can commit to Dutch and English, too, although that probably doesn't help much.
Don't remember where I was - I realized life was a game - The more seriously I took things - The harder the rules became
EchoMan

Postby EchoMan » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:18 pm

The beginner village is not yet available in your language. Please select a language of your choice. Note that this is only for the game introduction, the game itself is available in your language.

Początkujący wieś ​​nie jest jeszcze dostępna w Twoim języku. Proszę wybrać język do wyboru. Należy pamiętać, że jest to jedynie wprowadzenie gry, sama gra jest dostępna w Twoim języku.

El pueblo principiante aún no está disponible en su idioma. Por favor, seleccione un idioma de su elección. Tenga en cuenta que esto es sólo para la introducción del juego, el juego está disponible en su idioma.

Der Anfänger Dorf ist noch nicht in Ihrer Sprache zur Verfügung. Bitte wählen Sie eine Sprache Ihrer Wahl. Beachten Sie, dass dies nur für das Spiel Einführung ist, ist das Spiel selbst in Ihrer Sprache verfügbar.

Select language:
> English
> Espa~nol
> Polski
> Deutsch

Blame google translate. :)
oxyquan

Postby oxyquan » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:48 pm

I can commit to Klingon and Polish
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:49 pm

Would people still be required to act in character on the newbie region? Some newbies don't seem to understand the difference between themselves and their characters and I think understanding the difference is necessary before a player can be allowed to spawn in the main game.
Not-so-sad panda
Bmot

Postby Bmot » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:53 pm

oxyquan wrote:I can commit to Klingon and Polish

I grinned... I don't think many people will start with a Klingon-speaking char... But still, nice :).

SekoETC wrote:Would people still be required to act in character on the newbie region? Some newbies don't seem to understand the difference between themselves and their characters and I think understanding the difference is necessary before a player can be allowed to spawn in the main game.

I'd say yes, though it'd be frowned upon less, of course... Make them do it is the best way for them of learning it, I'd say.
Richard Dawkins wrote:We privileged few, who won the lottery of birth against all odds, how dare we whine at our inevitable return to that prior state from which the vast majority have never stirred?
EchoMan

Postby EchoMan » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:10 pm

SekoETC wrote:Would people still be required to act in character on the newbie region? Some newbies don't seem to understand the difference between themselves and their characters and I think understanding the difference is necessary before a player can be allowed to spawn in the main game.

I think it should be explained that ingame you have to use (OOC: Whatever) to talk OOC'ly, and keep it to a minimum. But in newbie villages there will be a lot of OOC because of teaching the interface and what not. It's just good if the new players are taught that before being allowed into the game to minimize the newbie mistakes in game.

Edit: A lot of new players name their first character by their own name. That it doesn't ring a bell when they name their second characters the same amazes me. ;)
Bmot

Postby Bmot » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:13 pm

:P I guess it does really help to have a RL person help you get started, I never experienced that sort of thing. :)
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:28 pm

I guess the crux of this suggestion is that player applications are accepted instantly and characters can start in the newbie land. It would still require PD approval to move the account to the main game. What do we do about people that hit submit 6 times and try to create 6 accounts?
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
EchoMan

Postby EchoMan » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:46 pm

Doug R. wrote:I guess the crux of this suggestion is that player applications are accepted instantly and characters can start in the newbie land. It would still require PD approval to move the account to the main game. What do we do about people that hit submit 6 times and try to create 6 accounts?

I imagine a set of pages with information for new players that they have to click through. The pages should have a small text explaining some of the unique things of Cantr (Explaining OOC talk, dynamic naming, how projects, travel, eating works, newbie village etc). After clicking through these pages the character will "spawn" in newbie village.

An event will be created when the player start going through these pages, that will light up all staff characters in the newbie village for the language selected. ("A newbie is heading this way!") This gives the staff a few minutes to prepare themselves for a reception party.

Here some things could be automatically named, like staff characters, the location "Newbie Village" etc. Dynamic naming has already been explained.

The player account will not be acceptable until the staff of the newbie village has "pre-accepted" the account, and thus deemed the player as worthy and knowledgeable enough to enter the green. :)

Just some quickly scribbled down thoughts.

Edit: Oh, and existing/returning players should also have the option to re-trace the explanatory pages if they wish.
Bmot

Postby Bmot » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:00 pm

EchoMan wrote:Edit: Oh, and existing/returning players should also have the option to re-trace the explanatory pages if they wish.

Maybe that can be put onto the wiki as well, seems like the right place for it :wink:

And besides that... *Thinks* There was one other thing I wanted to say, but I forgot :oops: I'll add that later.
Estaar

Postby Estaar » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:06 pm

So it would be one multi-language newbie village?
Stranger in a strange land.
Black Canyon

Postby Black Canyon » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:09 pm

I'll be happy to help in whatever way I can.
The more established players who can participate in this the better, I think, because we don't want anyone hanging out there in newspawn land any longer than they need to :P
“Now and then we had the hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates.”

― Mark Twain
EchoMan

Postby EchoMan » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:12 pm

Estaar wrote:So it would be one multi-language newbie village?

No, one village per language.
Bmot

Postby Bmot » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:17 pm

Oh, I remember what I wanted to say! :D

It was:
If the char is ready in the newbie village, will they just spawn normally? I thought we could make him 'walk into town' or something like that, so that it won't be so weird for the new player, and people in town get some kind of an idea about the fact that they are still dealing with a new player, so they won't look as weird at him, when he does something weird.

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”