c) Something like it only different
5%
d) Who cares about new players anyway?
4%

Total votes: 102
freiana

Re: EchoMan's New Player Newspawn Planet

Postby freiana » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:51 pm

I know of -one- town with more than two languages spoken in it, and have heard of none other. I guess we will have to be very strict about for which language groups we make these places. If we say that there have to be 3 players there that all are online at least 80% of the days, we should be relatively safe. These three players could also communicate amongst eachother about days or periods offline in order to get all days covered.
Don't remember where I was - I realized life was a game - The more seriously I took things - The harder the rules became
EchoMan

Postby EchoMan » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:56 pm

I currently have a char in a Swedish, Spanish and Polish town, and another in a German, Turkish and Swedish. But they are rare, yes.

Maybe we could just start out with a single town and see how things evolve? Maybe have some guidelines about how many people should involve themselves in talking to new players etc. :)
Addicted

Postby Addicted » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:50 am

EchoMan wrote:However much I like some of the suggestions I have read, some of them requires huge amounts of code changes to realize. My revised scenario (after having let the whole thing rest in the far back of my head for a few months) goes something like this:

1. When a new player signs up ... etc
The technical aspect of the implementation is best left to ProgD and does not need to be discussed here.

Sounds brilliant to me.
NancyLee

Postby NancyLee » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:22 am

EchoMan wrote:[...]but on the other hand it may be utterly confusing if several discussions are going on at the same time in different languages. And if there are 10 volunteers online the response for a "slow paced game" could become overwhelming for a new player.[...]

I totally agree with that.
I could volunteer with spanish, english and french by now.
“Nothing is absolute. Everything changes, everything moves, everything revolves, everything flies and goes away.”
― Frida Kahlo
HFrance

Postby HFrance » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:58 am

EchoMan wrote:Maybe we could just start out with a single town and see how things evolve? Maybe have some guidelines about how many people should involve themselves in talking to new players etc. :)

It's fine to me.
Cantr II is a social simulator. What is not working is due a problem in the society.
Cantr is like Vegas - what happens in the game should be in the game.
"It's a virtual world, not a theme park!" (Richard Bartle)
Marian

Postby Marian » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:02 am

How about same town, but separate building for each language? So if the multi-language chatter got overwhelming the character could just go inside and hang out with just a handful of people they could understand.
EchoMan

Postby EchoMan » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:18 am

That could work too.
HFrance

Postby HFrance » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:40 pm

Marian wrote:How about same town, but separate building for each language? So if the multi-language chatter got overwhelming the character could just go inside and hang out with just a handful of people they could understand.

Yes! With radio.
Cantr II is a social simulator. What is not working is due a problem in the society.
freiana

Postby freiana » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:39 pm

I don't think that resembles the "real" cantr world they'll play in eventually. There are no towns like that, as far as I know.
Don't remember where I was - I realized life was a game - The more seriously I took things - The harder the rules became
HFrance

Postby HFrance » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:39 pm

freiana wrote:I don't think that resembles the "real" cantr world they'll play in eventually. There are no towns like that, as far as I know.

Nothing that can not be explained on a noticeboard, explaining its special nature.
freiana

Postby freiana » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:41 pm

But if we're diverging from the "real world" too much we're losing much of the power of the introduction to the game. The main reason we do this (or at least, that's what I think of it) is to show people what they're going to play in, so if they don't like it they won't spawn real characters. It will hugely lower the numbers of sleep-spawns or short-time-players. If we diverge too much from our real game, this effect will be lost.

What is the advantage to having all the languages in one town? We're going to need staff from all languages anyway to talk to the newspawns...
HFrance

Postby HFrance » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:19 pm

Stop it. To illustrate faithfully the world of Cantr would need at more than a dozen locations very distant from each other. The map is not the territory! The least we can show to the newbie is what means a slow-paced game, and what means a text-based game. These are the two main features of Cantr that displeasing the usual seekers of online games. Only with this example we can show that in Cantr have no backstory for the characters and there is no gamemaster to manage the events, as opposed to expecting the usual seekers for roleplay games. Only with this example we can show that there are no preprogrammed challenges in Cantr, no prefixed character races, classes or levels, or guilds, as most players seeking adventures want. We show that Cantr is not Dungeons and Dragons. This is not World of Warcraft. This is not Popmundo or Second Life. ETC. Only with this show we already massively eliminate the undead of the real Cantr world.

We need all in one place because we are few, we are volunteers and we have limited time. But we have responsibilities with the newspawns.
freiana

Postby freiana » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:26 am

HFrance wrote:Stop it.

Thank you for letting me have my opinion, too. :roll:
HFrance wrote: To illustrate faithfully the world of Cantr would need at more than a dozen locations very distant from each other. The map is not the territory! The least we can show to the newbie is what means a slow-paced game, and what means a text-based game.

If we want to show them a slow-paced game, and we put staff of all languages within one town, we will not be giving them the right image. Maybe an image that looks like Dom Hofran, but, let's be honest, how much towns of that size do we have? If not for the problem with the map-making software I'd suggest putting towns with different languages in the same town, on a walkable distance from each other, that would be the most realistic solution in my opinion. However, from what I understand, this would be too much asked for when nobody knows how to make a map anymore. Thus, I think seperate towns would best show them the slow-paced part of the game where it simply happens that you have to wait an hour or more for a response.
EchoMan

Postby EchoMan » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:35 am

I'm locking this topic. The discussion is not moving in any constructive way, and the tone of it just got unpleasant.
EchoMan

Postby EchoMan » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:49 pm

Unlocking again. Keep it civilized please.

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”