Character Suicide

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after implementation

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Mitch79

Character Suicide

Postby Mitch79 » Tue May 01, 2012 7:09 pm

I know this has been brought up before but I am going to suggest it because it's probably dropped in the archived suggestions now.

I fully believe that a player should have the ability to kill off characters they no longer wish to play without unsubbing the entire account, no matter the age of the character. Situations in a players lives can change rather quickly, work gets busy, family life gets busy, school life gets busy and sometimes it happens quickly, then you are no longer able to keep up with the 15 character lives you have sitting around. Your characters start sleeping, starving off only to be force fed by those around you, or you have to start hacking yourself to death which would likely be out of character for yours. People then wait on yours to wake, for keys, for rp, for relationships...whatever the case it isn't fair to the player who no longer wishes to play the character nor to the ones waiting on them for one reason or another.

I know that there is a concern about people killing off characters because they don't like situations they get into, but I've seen this situation in the past. If they are going to be difficult they are not going to play the character whether it sits alive locked in a room somewhere or drops dead because they're angry.

I think that maybe there should be a heart attack button the characters you play. If you want to kill one off and it drops because of a heart attack maybe we should add something like we do to the dead newspawns, add a 40 day wait time, or even twice as long for heart attacks before they can respawn. This might make people think twice before doing just a rage death but also give the player the ability to get rid of character they no longer want / have time for or are able to play.
Doug R.

Re: Character Suicide

Postby Doug R. » Tue May 01, 2012 8:39 pm

I agree. The sticking point seems to be the parameters.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
Mitch79

Postby Mitch79 » Tue May 01, 2012 8:56 pm

Yeah, I don't know if it would be best to leave it at the 40 days after you heart attack one before you can spawn another one, or make it longer to deter it from happening often. I've been in this situation where things have gotten busy and I know I"ve heard so many people who have life get in the way log in to their 15 character list, stare at it and log out because when life gets busy, you just don't have time and a list of 15 overwhelms you to the point of not even logging in. IF a player could control the amount of characters they have when life gets busy, they might be more willing and have time to play just a few until life calms back down for them.
JohnnyScribble

Postby JohnnyScribble » Wed May 02, 2012 2:32 am

Personally, I would see this as quite useful, but then there is also the worry of this "heart attack button" being abused.

This could especially happen with new players who aren't fully up to speed with the rules of the character spawning. A newspawn thief, for example could rob everything they can get their hands on, then flee. However, once they realise they can't escape, they could hit this button while travelling, which would essentially still leave the town they robbed from at a loss.

I feel this would be something a lot of the more established players would want, but it would need a lot of work so as to be able to create the right boundaries that wouldn't cause a lot of undue hassle in-game.
In Soviet Russia, Cantr plays you!
Mitch79

Postby Mitch79 » Wed May 02, 2012 2:51 am

So instead you have a bunch of characters who all of a sudden go nuts and out of their minds hacking themselves to death or locking themselves in rooms to starve to death, going completely out of character just to escape having to play characters they don't even want to bother with anymore or who have lived out their particular character story. EITHER WAY, is disrupting other characters and "hassles" in game. A player should have the right to kill off characters they no longer want to play in a manner that is not out of character for them and without having to fight the groups breaking into buildings and forcefeeding them to force them to stay alive or jumping into vehicles to follow on the road and force food on them. It is NOT fair to the player who has not the time or the will or want to play them anymore. Yes it can be abused by newspawns. That's what the pd is for. Report it, they can handle those problems.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Wed May 02, 2012 3:44 am

I say limit it to characters 30 and over, and have a delay of at least 24 hours.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
Mitch79

Postby Mitch79 » Wed May 02, 2012 4:15 am

That's a good idea Doug, that way you don't have the newspawn thief issues. They have to be 30 first before the options available and there's a cool down time after you kill one off before you're able to spawn another. I think that'd work out fine.
Sunni Daez

Postby Sunni Daez » Wed May 02, 2012 4:29 am

I think it should be a cant year, not 24 hours.. allows for anger issues to clear, player situations to clear and allows for an RP'd death if wished.. if not, just turn off your event for that charri

Run...Dragon...Run!!!
Chroma Key

Postby Chroma Key » Wed May 02, 2012 6:24 am

I really like this suggestion with the tweaks suggested by Doug. I do not like the delay of a Cantr year, to me, that defeats the purpose of this suggestion as in that time the issues addressed by Mitch will be continuing, whether you turn off the events for that (those) character(s) or not, and in a Cantr year you could still try to hack your chars to pieces/starve them. Besides, just because I will not see those chars light up, it will not mean that I will forget all about all the expectations etc. As long as they are on that list, staring at you, the problem is still there.
"She could make something sound stupid just by hearing it.”
"For a short moment there, you almost sounded human."
Sunni Daez

Postby Sunni Daez » Wed May 02, 2012 6:57 am

A cantr year is 20 days, it isn't like a real life thing.. I still don't think 24 hours is near long enough. Rash choices can be made in times like that and as good as the intent is.. I see it as such an opening for abuse. If you want them to die, why are you even worried that they will starve or be hacked up..? I understand the connection between player and charri, trust me, been there, done that.. but an insta kill button I don't see as viable without the penalty of a significant wait time for the death.

Run...Dragon...Run!!!
Chroma Key

Postby Chroma Key » Wed May 02, 2012 7:17 am

I am perfectly aware of how long a Cantr year is, as well as of the distinction between the in game and real life aspects. In some circumstances, the "feel" of time being relative and all, that is far too long. The point of this suggestion is to avoid that delay and to minimise the difficulties for the players. Not being able to spawn another character for 40 days is enough of a penalty for me. Besides, just because I want a char dead, it does not mean I want them dead in such messy ways. I just cannot see the point of pressing that button and waiting for a further 20 days, whilst starvation takes just as long. I would be happy with a delay of up to 3 days, maybe, but 20 days? No way. "Insta kill button without the penalty of a significant wait time for the death" is not an "insta kill button" at all.
As for the abuse issue, with the age limit being 30, it is not like we will see much weaker than average/awkward fighter newspawns drop dead in the masses anyway. If there is other type of abuse, then as it was said before, report it.
I do think that this actually will help with some of those rash decisions too, which is to quit altogether, because of the circumstances of a single char, which in turn result in, of course, loss of many other chars and most importantly, loss of a player.
"She could make something sound stupid just by hearing it.”
"For a short moment there, you almost sounded human."
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Wed May 02, 2012 7:59 am

It's pretty silly that heart attack is the standard cause of death. It would be cool if people could choose from a list of ways to die, some faster like falling off a cliff or drowning, some slower like cancer. It would make more sense than everybody having heart attacks.
Not-so-sad panda
Snickie
RD/HR Member/Translator-English (LD)

Postby Snickie » Wed May 02, 2012 4:31 pm

I like Seko's addition, and it could be determined somewhat by location. For example, in mountains and places with quarries, you can jump to your death. In coastal locations and places with Wells you could drown yourself. And things like that.
Sunni Daez

Postby Sunni Daez » Wed May 02, 2012 6:16 pm

@ Chroma.. sorry, it was not an attack on you.

Run...Dragon...Run!!!
Mitch79

Postby Mitch79 » Wed May 02, 2012 6:22 pm

I wouldn't be against having different methods of death either, but the main thing I would like to see first is the player has the ability to kill them off if they choose, even if for the time being it is via heart attacks with the possibility of further down the road maybe having different methods of death.

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”