Trains

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after implementation

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

phoenixannwn

Re: Trains

Postby phoenixannwn » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:15 pm

I think Dyl's idea about having locked 'cars' on the train, so all you have to do is have two town leaders with the key and they don't have to leave their towns to trade. Much safer!
And you only need one person to operate it, maybe two to make it go faster. He can be the conductor, and it can also revolutionize the mail industry! Like the pony express!
And then it starts out with just then engine and you can add cars, and they take lots and lots of materials and time or something? But then it's like a new vehicle, except it's pulled along by everything else.
And the engine can only carry a certain amount of cars before they have to add another engine!
Maybe there can be different type of cars. Some can only carry cargo, some can only carry people (and maybe a tiny amount of cargo, enough for luggage).
70% cute, 30% WTF
Bargon wanchi kox paa, Solo! Hoo hoo hoo hoo
http://witchesandweres.tumblr.com/
Sillysavage

Postby Sillysavage » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:40 am

The link below explains what type of cars are out there and what they are used for...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railroad_cars

...but I think for game purposes, Passenger and frieght cars would be enough.
If you can learn to read and write...you can educate yourself.
EchoMan

Postby EchoMan » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:02 am

Sillysavage wrote:The link below explains what type of cars are out there and what they are used for...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railroad_cars

...but I think for game purposes, Passenger and frieght cars would be enough.

Indeed, we do not want to mimic RL in all detail. I really see no point in discerning between a cargo car and a passenger car either. Other vehicles doesn't.
phoenixannwn

Postby phoenixannwn » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:13 am

Cargo cars could carry tons more and have reinforced bottoms and no windows? Only one door?
70% cute, 30% WTF
EchoMan

Postby EchoMan » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:20 am

Why? Just because it resembles IRL? I see no point in it.
phoenixannwn

Postby phoenixannwn » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:31 am

I think it's tidier. Personally. But it's easier for you that way, go for it. I'd be happy just to have trains. :]
Maybe, when a train reaches the end of the track, it could start a project "turn around" that takes a day, and that's how it could get back and forth, if it's not connected.
70% cute, 30% WTF
Sillysavage

Postby Sillysavage » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:13 pm

phoenixannwn wrote:Cargo cars could carry tons more and have reinforced bottoms and no windows? Only one door?

Cargo Cars come in many shapes and sizes and also carry a multitude of...cargo...From flat-beds to tankers and everything in between. There was mention in another topic of ships being able to transport vehicles. I haven't checked up on any of that but I would assume that cargo carriers for trains would have the option of being able to do the same?
If you can learn to read and write...you can educate yourself.
Auryn

Postby Auryn » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:59 pm

I wonder if it's time to have another look at this thread. I know there are a lot of big cities out there that need some new project to work on. Mass public transport seems like a good solution to me! I'm all for the larger cities developing a railway system. Even if it's primitive and only has a limited path, trains could lead the way to a more advanced Cantr!

Most of the previous arguments seem to be about the types of cars. What I'm more concerned with is an automated (since we can't really count on one person to perfectly time departures all day, but then again, a little variation could be fun) train with fully unlocked cars with an engine that runs on coal and water used to transport people across a long distance. With it being open, it is also Susceptible to thieves and bandits.

I see no problem with also incorporating more cargo-like trains for the transport of large quantities of goods on the same track. These would be lockable and must have at least one person to operate in a similar manner as other vehicles.

As for which cities would actually be a part of the train route, this would probably have to be at least a little regulated. Either the PD choses which cities get the stations through nominations, or two cities would have to agree in game and would both set up a project "build a railway to (town)". This could get tricky for programming, or it would just send a notification to the PD so that it can be set up and ready for in game construction.
curious

Postby curious » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:10 pm

I like the idea of trains, in whatever form they might take.
I can't however help but imagine the spawning of a char named Ronnie Biggs, soon after departure.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:43 pm

I wonder if it would be possible to allow characters to free-lay track using the x,y grid. Railroads would them primarily serve as an alternate to roads, connecting places that haven't been already connected. It would also give the sextant another use.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
Majix

Postby Majix » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:41 am

And you should be able to bring your bike on the train.
toon

Postby toon » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:51 pm

I don't guess there's any chance of anyone being able to summarize the ideas so far?
curious

Postby curious » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:25 pm

Trains... of various sorts, capacity and schedules
Tracks... of various directions and town contact... possibly free laying
Bikes.
psychowico

Postby psychowico » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:16 am

Doug R. wrote:I wonder if it would be possible to allow characters to free-lay track using the x,y grid. Railroads would them primarily serve as an alternate to roads, connecting places that haven't been already connected. It would also give the sextant another use.

Much easier will be give people possibility to lay track from location to location (even if this locations haven't direct connection by roads).
I love trains. And love "Atlas Shrugged". :roll:
"Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."

https://www.kinkykitty.pl
Oasis

Postby Oasis » Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:31 am

Just thinking of this logistically....towns are dynamically named, so how would you choose a location for the track to go to?

I like the idea of adding tracks (I'm kind of seeing them like bus frames sort of) to a 'build rail line' project, much like an upgrade road project, only with the ability to work on it before all tracks are laid. And the ability to start the project at the other end and have the two ends meet. Once they meet, they become a working rail line, with rail station. Then you build your trains. I say keep it simple, at least at first, and require one engine, and only one type of car as all other vehicles, but maybe have different sizes (not necessary though, the simpler the better to get this up and going)

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”