Custom Descriptions

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after implementation

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

EchoMan

Re: Custom Descriptions

Postby EchoMan » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:45 pm

MEDIUMTEXT = maximum length of 16,777,215 (2^24 – 1) characters. So keep typing in notepad... ;)
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:01 pm

Looks like the first Custom Description Changes report has been emailed. Could someone in PD confirm that it came through and was readable? I have a copy up to 2895-2:06 in case there were complications but in case there are any problems with the reporting, it would be good to fix them before the next report gets sent.
Not-so-sad panda
Ronja Rotschopf

Postby Ronja Rotschopf » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:44 pm

I received it and it is readable
Snake_byte

Postby Snake_byte » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:26 pm

I can second that. I received and it's readable, but I think a space between character's would make it easier...

Good work Seko!

This can be posted either here or in "Body markings" but since I'm here...
About tattoos and scars. If those are added to the to the description Ie: A scar on the back, and they put on a shirt, people will still be able to see it.

Can anything be done about that?
My old banner ;)
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:28 pm

Do we want spaces between the entries?
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:40 am

Extra line breaks can be added no problem.

As for hiding tattoos when you have a shirt on, that can't really be coded short for having separate boxes for each body part and that would be excessive. Of course if we get a hardcoded system for tattoos (and scars?) then bodies could be divided into areas and clothes given values of which areas they cover but with a freeform system it would only be a hassle. One of my characters is bald and another one has a bald spot but I didn't put it in their descriptions since they both wear hats almost all the time. It's enough that I rp it if they take their hats off. It would only become a problem of if they died and got stripped and people wouldn't know what they looked like but you can't really do much about that.
Not-so-sad panda
Dudel

Postby Dudel » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:00 am

Snake_byte wrote:This can be posted either here or in "Body markings" but since I'm here...
About tattoos and scars. If those are added to the to the description Ie: A scar on the back, and they put on a shirt, people will still be able to see it.

Can anything be done about that?

Wouldn't matter anyway.

Once people start to describe their character's tattoos within the box you've the problem you are trying to avoid, once again.

Best to leave it as is unless there is a strict PD rule about seeing things through clothes.
KVZ
Players Dept. Member

Postby KVZ » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:08 pm

There is problem with special Characters for Polish language. Most of them change to "?" after saving descriptions. Only "ó" is not affected.
Corruption born inside. I'm part of dark side / A.F.K. / We'll steal your dreams and control your minds
https://twitter.com/DukeKVZ / http://www.futurerp.net/pages/link.php?id=24880
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:47 pm

It must be because the box was in Latin encoding by default. I've switched it to UTF8 now.
Not-so-sad panda
KVZ
Players Dept. Member

Postby KVZ » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:58 am

Now it works as it should. Thanks.
Corruption born inside. I'm part of dark side / A.F.K. / We'll steal your dreams and control your minds
https://twitter.com/DukeKVZ / http://www.futurerp.net/pages/link.php?id=24880
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:21 am

So reporting abuse now works in the test environment, but should the complaints go directly to PD rather than Support, or would the mailing list even accept messages from outsiders even though the contact form says you can message any department while logged in? Those that saw the test message on the support mailing list, do you think it should contain more information or is it fine as it is? I designed the abuse report form so that in the future, it could also be used to report abusive events and maybe even notes, if we decided to add a flagging button for those.
Not-so-sad panda
EchoMan

Postby EchoMan » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:29 am

I think it looks good. However all these text-boxes and forms should always be UTF-8, the last player message to the support was totally unreadable, and impossible to run by babelfish or other translators. So as long as we can be sure the text-box is UTF-8 it would be fine I guess.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:47 am

Hmm... I wonder if that's going to cause complications. I noticed that my last name in the From row was displayed wrong, so that thing most likely extends to all special characters.

http://geoland.org/2007/12/utf8-ready-p ... -function/
Would this work?

Edit: I tested having special characters in both the description and the comments section and they were displayed alright. A different question is how it might deal with Polish or Russian, but at least ä ö é à Å ñ ô £ $ € ½ § @ µ come through okay. I read elsewhere that the thing with displaying special characters wrong on the From row is an issue that Yahoo has, so it might be displayed okay in other types of mail
Not-so-sad panda
EchoMan

Postby EchoMan » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:14 am

Possibly. That code you linked to might solve the problem. I know I've solved the problems with forms -> mail somewhere with something like:

Code: Select all

$from = utf8_decode($_POST[’from’]);

or something like that. It might be the simplest solution if that works. I read the mails in question from webmail, I'll forward them to myself on some other accounts to test it.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:38 am

If the names are garbled in some emails, I doubt it's a very big loss because if there's reason to tell the person that the thing has been handled, PD could check the correct spelling of their name from the database. The main thing is that the message contents are displayed properly.
Not-so-sad panda

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”