Instead of Whispering

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after implementation

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Genevieve

Instead of Whispering

Postby Genevieve » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:59 pm

The accepted version of this suggestion is this:
sanchez wrote:It doesn't need to be so complicated. Random lines of current whispers should be made audible to everyone. That should make people try a little harder to find private locations for intimate conversations, gossip, or plotting.

Seems like lately people are mad at other people whispering -- have a feeling this has gone on for a while.

It would be nice if we could have a "project" of sorts, where it would work like this:

John requests to speak with you "Hey, can we talk?"
Accept/Reject (with an option to say something in rejection)

if Accept:

Town sees:

John speaks quietly to James
James speaks quietly to John

until they are done, and the town sees nothing else.

If reject:

Town sees:

John speaks quietly to James

nothing else.

If you accept the other persons request, the two of you are able to speak to others and to each other quietly (say until one of the two players logs off?) and see what each other says, but then your quiet whispering doesn't bug the whole town.

*Above proposal prompted by the STOP WHISPERING comment from an INNOCENT CONVO :p
Dudel

Postby Dudel » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:17 pm

Well that WASN'T directed at me any. X|

I'd like the option to just turn off whispers or turn an amount of times I wanna see X person whisper, etc BUT this has all been suggested before. :(
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:20 pm

I agree 100% with this proposal, and it should be done so that more than two can participate in the conversation.

I think it should say: "You see X,Y, and Z having a conversation."

I also think that you should be able to attempt eavesdropping, with a chance of them seeing you :)
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
Dudel

Postby Dudel » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:26 pm

Doug R. wrote:I agree 100% with this proposal, and it should be done so that more than two can participate in the conversation.

I think it should say: "You see X,Y, and Z having a conversation."

I also think that you should be able to attempt eavesdropping, with a chance of them seeing you :)

Great idea Doug then we will have public group sex instead of just two people... AWESOME! :roll:

Other then ^ that and the fact that I doubt ANYTHING will be implemented anytime soon... this works well for me.

I'd still like the option to turn them off on a character by character basis.
Genevieve

Postby Genevieve » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:27 pm

haha, that's a good idea, the eavesdropping thing -- and with a chance of them seeing you try too.
Genevieve

Postby Genevieve » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:30 pm

I also like the idea of being able to turn it on/off in terms of what you can see. Or at least to be able to chose to only see the initial whisper. It would also mean that a few people can gather in public to speak without everyone hearing -- like a team huddle sorta thing.

I imagine if that were implemented, there will be places where it becomes against the law ^_^
*Wiro

Postby *Wiro » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:37 pm

The eavesdropping shouldn't be too complicated. Just you join in on the project, and if you happen to hear anything interesting, you can hear it and then quickly move away. But... meh, it'd be a bit weird not knowing how much they are talking. :S
Genevieve

Postby Genevieve » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:40 pm

Well perhaps you could see when they "end" the project? And I think you'd have to be "allowed" onto the project by the initiator...otherwise anyone could join.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:24 pm

I think it would be interesting if anyone could join without moderation. The other people could simply move on and start a new conversation if they don't want to share it with the newcomer. If people checked the participants before posting, chance is that if someone was eavesdropping, they would only hear one thing before being detected, and some of my characters would sure love to eavesdrop on people.

If there were conversation "projects", it would still be good if people could view the precise history of the conversation (who spoke to whom and when) by viewing the info page, but otherwise there would only be one event message per conversation, or maybe one for starting and another one for ending.
Not-so-sad panda
Genevieve

Postby Genevieve » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:28 pm

*Nods* That's a good idea. The only thing I don't like about it is that you have to start a project -- unless it can be one where it is able to be done at the same time as other things...since in places with limited resource slots, it would suck to lose the slot in order to speak privately. I think whispering could still be an option, but if you think the conversation will go on for a while, it would be nice to have.
*Wiro

Postby *Wiro » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:35 pm

And I want it to be possible to turn the messages on... sometimes you just have to know when people continue their whispering.
Genevieve

Postby Genevieve » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:38 pm

I think if it were a project, you wouldn't see any messages at all -- just the initial project start (perhaps as people add themselves to it, "You see X join Y & Z in conversation" could be announced).
cantrlady

Postby cantrlady » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:08 pm

Doug R. wrote:I also think that you should be able to attempt eavesdropping, with a chance of them seeing you :)

Oh gods, would hate to hear some of those conversations.
Genevieve

Postby Genevieve » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:14 pm

cantrlady wrote:
Doug R. wrote:I also think that you should be able to attempt eavesdropping, with a chance of them seeing you :)

Oh gods, would hate to hear some of those conversations.

lol You won't HAVE to eavesdrop - you just can try if you want to lol.

No, I think the idea of being able to add yourself, and then if the others don't want you listening, they just create a new convo, is a good idea.
sanchez
Administrator Emeritus

Postby sanchez » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:52 pm

It doesn't need to be so complicated. Random lines of current whispers should be made audible to everyone. That should make people try a little harder to find private locations for intimate conversations, gossip, or plotting.

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”