Instead of Whispering

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after implementation

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Dudel

Postby Dudel » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:47 am

One of my seven characters has heard one whisper and that one character gets a moderate amount of whispering to tolerate.

It was odd and out of context both me (the player) and my character ignored it. Would not be the first time the character ignored something that he had no comments/feelings/etc on OR was not directed at himself or the town as a whole.
*Wiro

Postby *Wiro » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:25 pm

So now everyone in the town gets to hear it? :S
Read about my characters by following this link.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:59 pm

*Wiro wrote:So now everyone in the town gets to hear it? :S

Seko, can you clarify this? I didn't understand your SVN comment.

It appears overhearing is still on a per character basis, I'm just not clear on how it works.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:09 pm

I want to point out, for the record, that there was overwhelming support for this idea when it was moved to accepted suggestions. The dissenters didn't come out of the woodwork until I posted the forum thread in my announcement. By my count, 8 for, 2 against. Plus Jos. 9 for, 2 against.

Yes, there was a misunderstanding over how it would work that complicated things.

Yes, it wasn't up long enough, something which will be corrected in the future.

However, what's done is done, and it will be adjusted or removed as necessary.
*Wiro

Postby *Wiro » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:12 pm

Doug R. wrote:I want to point out, for the record, that there was overwhelming support for this idea when it was moved to accepted suggestions. The dissenters didn't come out of the woodwork until I posted the forum thread in my announcement. By my count, 8 for, 2 against. Plus Jos. 9 for, 2 against.

Yes, there was a misunderstanding over how it would work that complicated things.

Yes, it wasn't up long enough, something which will be corrected in the future.

However, what's done is done, and it will be adjusted or removed as necessary.

Agreed. People never ever voiced their opinion about anything regarding whispers at all, and suddenly they've got plenty to say. In my opinion they're in no position to blame anyone at all but themselves for not joining the discussion any sooner. Even though it did go fast, the discussion of whispers has been an on-going discussion for a long time now.
Read about my characters by following this link.
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:24 pm

Well, two/three days is hardly long enough for a casual forum-goer to respond. Not everyone is camping out in the forums like we do. And I doubt the discussion reached the Polish forum when it was implemented.
You can't blitzkrieg another country and then tell them it's their fault, they could have said something against it if they don't like it.
Pretty in pink.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:55 pm

Doug R. wrote:
*Wiro wrote:So now everyone in the town gets to hear it? :S

Seko, can you clarify this? I didn't understand your SVN comment.

Still not everybody hears it. It rolls once per location if the whisper was heard, then if the "was_heard" flag is true, it will roll again for each listener if this particular character heard it. In this stage there is still a chance that no one will hear it after all. Big towns still have a slightly higher chance of whispers getting overheard, and have it more likely to have several people hearing it in those cases when it does happen, but now the great majority of whispers will always go unheard by anyone regardless of the population. I could try to make a graph out of it.
Not-so-sad panda
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:50 pm

SekoETC wrote: then if the "was_heard" flag is true, it will roll again for each listener if this particular character heard it.

With what chance? 2% again?
Pretty in pink.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:41 pm

No, the chance needs to be bigger there because it was already filtered once in the first stage. If it was 2% for both then that would make 0.04% per person, which would be much lower. But the numbers most likely aren't final in this stage, they are likely to get tweaked based on player feedback, so people would be better off reporting their personal experiences of how many whispers their characters have overheard or how many times someone has mentioned overhearing them.
Not-so-sad panda
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:55 pm

Yes, but a which value is it now? :wink:
Pretty in pink.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:13 pm

It's 5% per location and 15% per person on top of that. That makes a total of 0.75% per person.
Not-so-sad panda
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:32 pm

Thank you.
joo

Postby joo » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:39 pm

This means that the chance is now capped at 5%, much better.

Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:02 pm

Except if you're in a huge town and hit that 5%, 15% of the people will hear it, which could be quite a large number.
Jos Elkink
Founder Emeritus

Postby Jos Elkink » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:30 am

Doug R. wrote:Except if you're in a huge town and hit that 5%, 15% of the people will hear it, which could be quite a large number.

:?: No, joo is right, it's capped .....

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”