Better solar stills

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after implementation

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Elros

Postby Elros » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:34 pm

ezz wrote:This is great, I was getting sick of waiting a months for a decent amount of water. Now I wont have to trade so much to get the water for my ship garden.

Glad to hear it. :wink:
Every action has a consequence.
BZR

Postby BZR » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:44 pm

The other side of the coin:
ezz wrote:(...). Now I wont have to trade (...)

This issue is killing trade and interaction 8) There is no better proof :D
Cogliostro

Postby Cogliostro » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:14 am

Haha, good one BZR. :D :D
Cogliostro

Postby Cogliostro » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:52 am

Some time has gone by, it's pretty safe to say the change has not created any unbalancement or even caused any appreciable blip in the game's economy at all. I've been calculating how much a solar still can gather versus a worker with a bucket at a well (most civilized towns have those).

It's still so pitiably little, that it would take a solar still insane amounts of real world days to gather an amount useful for making tea or growing many plants et cetera.

I guess we can't keep on increasing the output, that wouldn't look right, but how about allowing up to 4 still to be built per location, like it is with drying racks, ocation instead of just the one? That could allow someone to have 4 x 15g = 60g of water being collected a day in total, which would mean that such an "array" would manage to accumulate an amount equal to a single day of work with the bucket-well method within slightly more than 6.6 days.
Cogliostro

Postby Cogliostro » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:52 am

Cogliostro wrote:Some time has gone by, it's pretty safe to say the change has not created any unbalancement or even caused any appreciable blip in the game's economy at all. I've been calculating how much a solar still can gather versus a worker with a bucket at a well (most civilized towns have those).

It's still so pitiably little, that it would take a solar still insane amounts of real world days to gather an amount useful for making tea or growing many plants et cetera.

I guess we can't keep on increasing the output, that wouldn't look right, but how about allowing up to 4 still to be built per location, like it is with drying racks, instead of just the one? That could allow someone to have 4 x 15g = 60g of water being collected a day in total, which would mean that such an "array" would manage to accumulate an amount equal to a single day of work with the bucket-well method within slightly more than 6.6 days.
Elros

Postby Elros » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:04 pm

I do not think that the solar still is going to be increased anymore. At least not anytime soon. Being able to gather water while at sea is a very beneficial tool, but because of that, it is going to be kept a good deal below land gathering rates. Just appreciate that fact that it can be gathered on the sea at all. ;)

We will probably be adding salt gathering to the solar still as well in the near future.
Cogliostro

Postby Cogliostro » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:32 pm

I understand those points, but what irks me is how easy we are with "spending" player's real life time. For example, let's say you're a sailor and you built a nice little still... OK! Now you decide to brew a cup of tea for yourself and a friend with it, all on your boat. But what does the game tell you in that case? Simple math: 800g water / 15g water per day = 53.3 days, and what says to you is "Come back in TWO MONTHS. Real time. Then you can have your tea."

Am I the only one experiencing tics when I come across stuff like this in Cantr? :D :D
Elros

Postby Elros » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:38 pm

I don't know where you got those figueres from...

First of all you can't make tea on a ship anyways because it requires on oven which can only be built on land.

Secondly, you can make about 22 grams of tea with 15 grams of water, so if you were just wanting tea for RP then you could let the automatic project run for one day while you were repairing your bone knife and then you would have water to make tea for you and your friend to sip on. :)
Elros

Postby Elros » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:10 pm

Ok, everyone, Salt Extraction has been added to the Solar Still as well.

Machine: Solar Still
Name: Extracting Salt
Requirements: days:1;location_state:sailing;location_areatype:sea
Automatic
Output: 15 grams of salt

I added the "location_areatype:sea" tag so you can not extract salt from lakes.
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:30 pm

15g is a lot. That's nearly enough to feed four people with salted cod.
Pretty in pink.
Elros

Postby Elros » Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:11 am

15 grams of salt is enough to make 4 days of salted meat. You also have to collect the meat as well. I believe most of the foods are around 1 day of work for three days of food. So once you factor in catching the fish, this would be about 3 days of salted meat per 1 day of salt output.

The salt isnt free, a solar still does cost a decent amount of materials, and you can only collect salt when you are actually moving, so it isn't like people can collect it all the time. You can gather by hand over three times this much salt.

An average trip from one town to another is usually a few days in a boat(I know that varies), so people would gather enough for a one day salting project with each trip.

I really don't think this is a lot...
Cogliostro

Postby Cogliostro » Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:43 am

It's actually very little. Wow, 4 days worth of salted meat! What an incredible amount of food it's not...

Maybe Piscator is just teasing in his usual endearingly anal way, when really he means to say something like that 15 is the double factorial of 5, and also the number of the extant supersingular primes to boot, a condition which can't fail to bother a civilized man with its unmotivated arbitrariness. :D :D
Cogliostro

Postby Cogliostro » Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:45 am

Let's make it 16g today and 32g tomorrow after the hangover from the player celebrations clears.
Elros

Postby Elros » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:07 am

Cogliostro wrote:It's actually very little. Wow, 4 days worth of salted meat! What an incredible amount of food it's not...

Maybe Piscator is just teasing in his usual endearingly anal way, when really he means to say something like that 15 is the double factorial of 5, and also the number of the extant supersingular primes to boot, a condition which can't fail to bother a civilized man with its unmotivated arbitrariness. :D :D

lol :lol:

Since this is an automatic project, I believe that the gather rates are close to what they need to be. We need to remember that solar stills allow salt to be gathered anywhere on the sea, thus it should be kept to a minimal to encourage people to still gather and or trade it at towns that have it.

The solar still is simply an item that allows sailors who really do not want to go to shore to be able to sustain themselves. I think 15 grams keeps it all balanced...
Cogliostro

Postby Cogliostro » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:15 am

I'll agree with you when we can build an array of up to 4 stills on the ship. :D That's when it'll become nicely balanced, and reasonable as to the wait involved.

Remember according to some of the water calculations even having 4 stills installed meant you collected water automatically (though only while sailing) at a rate more than 6.6 times less than someone with a bucket at a well ashore.

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”