Better solar stills

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after implementation

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

€e$y

Better solar stills

Postby €e$y » Sun May 31, 2009 12:55 am

There is in Cantr some machine like solar still. Maybe not everyone heard about it :wink: Why it is like that?
Because it's efficiency is very, very, very small and people don't want to build them on their ships.
I have calculated when resources we have to put in a solar still yield to us. We have to wait more than 40 cantrian years to receive some income of our effort.
I see two ways of repairing this state:
1) make solar still easier to be build (for example 10 grams of window glass instead of 100 gram) or
2) make output bigger (for example 10 grams of water per day instead of 2 grams)
EDIT: If we make output bigger maybe this will help with an overall lack of water/expensive water and it will response a little to suggestion of MakeBeliever who want to encourage sailors to work with the towns. Sailors will have water to sell - not much, but always sth :)

I think that people will be more eager to build solar stills, when we will "repair" them.

P.S. Sorry if that kind of post was somewere else. I just couldn't find it.
Last edited by €e$y on Sun May 31, 2009 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dudel

Postby Dudel » Sun May 31, 2009 1:31 am

How does the solar still even work where Cantr has no sun? :shock: MAGIC IN CANTR :!: :?:

On-Topic: Think he has a point there, water via the boat would be a grand thing if the machine was easier to work with.
Last edited by Dudel on Sun May 31, 2009 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
joo

Postby joo » Sun May 31, 2009 1:39 am

Cantr does have a sun - it is shown in the terrain photographs. Water is shown as being blue on the maps, which means that it's reflecting sunlight from the atmosphere, plants survive, which they need sunlight for, and drying racks work because there is a sun.
Dudel

Postby Dudel » Sun May 31, 2009 1:51 am

Who says the moon isn't REALLY bright? ;)

Or that the sky isn't purple? :lol:
€e$y

Postby €e$y » Sun May 31, 2009 2:44 am

Dudel wrote:How does the solar still even work where Cantr has no sun? :shock: MAGIC IN CANTR :!: :?:

Just because you can't use sun and set up on it a project to make you own energy it doesn't result there is no sun at all 8)

Ps. Stick to the topic, please :)
Gran

Postby Gran » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:27 am

1- Moons need a source of light. E.g. Sun.
2- Solar stills suck and do need to be rebalanced.
"Navegar é preciso; viver não é preciso"
chase02

Postby chase02 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:15 am

I agree completely. The 2g/day (from memory) is pretty ridiculous. What was the reasoning behind that initially?
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:49 am

Because it doesn't require any work, thus after the initial investment, the water is free. The same reasoning that was behind nerfing drying racks.
Not-so-sad panda
joo

Postby joo » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:35 am

Do solar stills work when the containing boat is docked to another boat or a town?
€e$y

Postby €e$y » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:06 pm

SekoETC wrote:Because it doesn't require any work, thus after the initial investment, the water is free. \

You have completely right with that the water is free.

The main problem in my opinion is that these "initial investment" is very expensive to the result. You have to wait much about 40 years to receive back what you have invested (I have compared solar still with well). I think there is little people, who have such patience ;) and in result solar stills are unique in Cantr (I know that from my own experience, maybe I'm not right. Btw. is there possibility to check that?).

I don't want to make them very effective, because it will be unfair (automatic project), but if we will slightly improve the results (for example 10 g of water >>> 8 years to receive income from your investment) people will be more willing to invest in solar stills.

Ps. I hope that my opinion is understandable. Sorry for my poor english;)
chase02

Postby chase02 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:49 am

Wait, these are automatic? Well that changes everything..
sanchez
Administrator Emeritus

Postby sanchez » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:56 pm

It is automatic. And it is meant to be a luxury item. I don't like the inefficiency either, but at the same time, note that it's not only free water away from land with no work that this provides, but also the ability to grow and produce things shipboard such as tea and apothecary mixtures, which can be quite powerful. That said, I'm up for increasing the yield somewhat on the solar still. It was made overly restrictive at first just to test how they would be used, and I don't see much potential for abuse if yield's increased just a little.
Gran

Postby Gran » Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:51 am

So it is supposed to be useless. Unless you are a sailor who would like to have a tflower garden by your hammock to ignore the smell of the meat rotting in the storage room.
"Navegar é preciso; viver não é preciso"
€e$y

Postby €e$y » Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:18 am

GranAttacker wrote:So it is supposed to be useless.

So let's make it less useless :lol:
BlueNine

Postby BlueNine » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:20 am

Why have it in the game if it's useless...that'd be like having a helicopter engine in the game without being able to build helicopters!
Lying in the depths of your imagination, worlds above and worlds below, you can tell a man from what he has to say

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”