You should hear when a lock breaks

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after implementation

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

SekoETC

You should hear when a lock breaks

Postby SekoETC » Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:05 am

It has happened a couple of times in the past that a character of mine is behind a locked door that's being broken, but hours later someone just walks in without a crack. I've been in the belief that the person entering had somehow acquired a copy of the key, because I never heard the lock breaking. But apparently the case is that there is no sound at all - even though you can hear the project starting, you cannot hear it ending.

A part of me wonders if this is some sort of a bug, but the most likely explanation is that it has simply not been programmed in the first place.

In my opinion, you should hear both 1) when it's started, 2) when people stop working on it, 3) when it's resumed and 4) when it's finished successfully. Finishing unsuccessfully should fall under people stopping to work on it. You probably couldn't tell if a second person joins in or leaves, only if the process stops altogether.

Otherwise you might as well start lock breaking projects on all the locks in town, so that would need arise, you could start working on the project whenever you like and the people on the other side would never hear a thing. (Unless of course it fails and you need to start again.)
Not-so-sad panda
Wilmer Bordonado

Postby Wilmer Bordonado » Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:13 am

But you can still SEE it...

Wilmer B.
SI A LA VIDA, NO A LAS PAPELERAS!
http://www.noalapapelera.com.ar
YES TO LIFE, NO TO PULP MILLS!
http://chrislang.blogspot.com/2006_08_31_chrislang_archive.html
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:30 am

Yes, you can see that the lock has vanished, that's true. But for the first case, my character was killed straight after, and in the second case dragged away and locked up in another building, so I never had a chance to realise that the lock had in fact been destroyed. You don't see it if you don't have a chance to look at the Objects list.

Of course now I know but it's very obscure. And it might be possible that lockbreaking finishes while the breaker is asleep, but the person inside is not. This might give the person a chance to start moving, since if there's an event, it will also highlight the character on the list. Otherwise it would remain gray so you would think that nothing has happened.
Not-so-sad panda
Wilmer Bordonado

Postby Wilmer Bordonado » Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:17 am

SekoETC wrote:Yes, you can see that the lock has vanished, that's true.

No, What I wanted to mean is that you can SEE on the activity screen that someone's working on the project "picking lock·"
If you're inside, and someone's working near you, the you can see it from the activity screen.
But if someone's breaking the lock from outside, you can't see him /her from inside (I guess so!) and then you mean you wanted to hear that breaking from inside..??

Yeah, why not? 8)

Wilmer B.
SI A LA VIDA, NO A LAS PAPELERAS!

http://www.noalapapelera.com.ar

YES TO LIFE, NO TO PULP MILLS!

http://chrislang.blogspot.com/2006_08_31_chrislang_archive.html
Spider

Postby Spider » Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:20 am

I think 1-4 is too much, just hearing them start and hearing the lock break is enough, the other stuff would be too noisey and of course a give away of stuff...be brave and do a quick run outside!! :lol:
new.vogue.nightmare

Postby new.vogue.nightmare » Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:24 am

Basically, what Wilmer's saying, is that you're stupid for not checking the projects and activities list after every single project tick. ;) At least that's the impression I get.
Sicofonte wrote:SLURP, SLURP, SLURP...

<Kimidori> esperanto is sooooo sexy^^^^
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:05 pm

The case was that the project is on the other side of the door than the listener. And we can leave out 2 and 3 if we must, but logically you should be able to hear it.

You hear the picking on the lock on Place A stop.
Person A says: "*listens* I... think they stopped."
You hear someone trying to break the lock on Place A again.
Person B says: "Nope, there it is again."
The lock breaking on Place A has finished successfully.
Person A says: "AARgh, ruuuuuun!!"
Not-so-sad panda
Chris Johnson

Postby Chris Johnson » Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:40 pm

This has been implemented - When a lock is destroyed either by lock picking or lock destruction then all characters in the lock location are notified

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”