Windows

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after implementation

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Caesar
Location: The Netherlands, Europe, Earth, Sol, The Milkyway, Our Galaxy, Time & Space

Postby Caesar » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:15 am

Revive.
- Every person lost in war is two too many.
- Respect comes from two sides and must be earned. Nobody has the right to it because of a title, sex, age, race or birth.
- What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
- I believe in True Love, do you?
Joshuamonkey
Owner/GAB Chair/HR Chair/ProgD

Re: Windows

Postby Joshuamonkey » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:17 pm

I wonder how much benefit adding glass windows to a building would have. With a vehicle, you can't see people coming and going, so it wouldn't make much sense for it to apply for windows, though perhaps that should be changed also. What I'd like is an open building, whether with windows that don't have glass (an unlockable building) or just a new open type building, where the people inside can see what others are saying and doing.
Joshuamonkey's Blog
http://doryiskom.myminicity.com/
https://writealyze.com
"Don't be afraid to be different, but be as good as you can be." - President James E. Faust
I'm LDS, play the cello, and run.
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:04 am

As a quick and easy solution (at least I hope so), would it be feasible to let an unlocked door double as a window? In other words, if the building is unlocked, sound can travel between the out- and the inside, if the building is locked, everything stays the same.
Pretty in pink.
Addicted

Postby Addicted » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:14 pm

Joshuamonkey wrote:I wonder how much benefit adding glass windows to a building would have. With a vehicle, you can't see people coming and going, so it wouldn't make much sense for it to apply for windows, though perhaps that should be changed also. What I'd like is an open building, whether with windows that don't have glass (an unlockable building) or just a new open type building, where the people inside can see what others are saying and doing.

A gazebo?
Reveal to me the mysteries
Can you tell me what it means?
Explain these motions and metaphors
Unlock these secrets in me
Describe the vision, the meaning is missing
Won't anybody listen?
diurnal_lee

Postby diurnal_lee » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:31 am

A porch, or a fenced yard, as an extension to a building?
Diurnal Lee

English, Français, Esperanto
Zlotnik

Postby Zlotnik » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:26 pm

Extension would be too complicated to implement too i think.

But i have a bit similar but simpler idea.

New building let's call it a guarding tower which would be a normal building with option to build extentions inside and which would work like a car enabling people to see what is going on outside.
It would let as to:
- see if there are attackers and hide in next room without need to go out with our key to building...
- see what people speak and do outside
- great place to make a house for guards

You could pretend there are windows like in cars too right?
Greek
Programming Dept. Member/Translator-Polish

Postby Greek » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:47 pm

Currently developed implementation includes:
- possibility of building windows for buildings selected by RD (most of the buildings probably)
- it would be possible to build windows only for independent buildings, not extensions (at least for now)
- window can be opened/closed and locked/unlocked (using key, like container lock; it makes open/close impossible)
- it'd be impossible to attack through window. Both from inside and outside
- opening/closing window would produce public event
- windows would be destroyable
- windows wouldn't be added to newly created building automatically, you'll have to build it
- required resources to build one are not my interest, but I hope it wouldn't be expensive

Some things may change, but most of the code is ready.
‘Never! Run before you walk! Fly before you crawl! Keep moving forward! You think we should try to get a decent mail service in the city. I think we should try to send letters anywhere in the world! Because if we fail, I’d rather fail really hugely’
Rumaan

Postby Rumaan » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:07 pm

It would be cool if one could attack with ranged weapons from inside buildings through windows.
Hedgedhogst

Postby Hedgedhogst » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:12 pm

Rumaan wrote:It would be cool if one could attack with ranged weapons from inside buildings through windows.

It would be even more cool if I could shoot that comment from my hometown... :x
3431-5.19: You novicely kill a badger using a bare fist.
4037-4.03: You expertly kill an elephant using a crumbling bone spear.
Greek

Postby Greek » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:15 pm

Yeah, but ranged are not distingushable from melee weapons and it will not happen soon.
It would come to problems like: "why attacking through window is possible only with ranged and between ships using any weapon". So it would need complex change. There was a suggestion about that somewhere, but without conclusion. It will not be taken into account, at least for now.
For me disallowing possibility to attack through window isn't good idea (because of consistency), but I'm in minority.
‘Never! Run before you walk! Fly before you crawl! Keep moving forward! You think we should try to get a decent mail service in the city. I think we should try to send letters anywhere in the world! Because if we fail, I’d rather fail really hugely’
Rumaan

Postby Rumaan » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:28 pm

I know it is not going to be implemented, that is why I said it would be cool.
Greek

Postby Greek » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:28 pm

Bump. Be ready for these changes in game really soon.
Most things is the same as a few posts above, but there are some changes:
    - there will be possibility of building windows for every building (including extensions)
    - only one window per location
    - window links building in which they are located with outside location ("parent" location, not always central area)
    How to imagine that? Building with open window is like vehicle, and its parent location is like central area. So you can see people from other extensions of the same building, talk, give objects etc. Actions and talks are visible/heard only one location deep (both for "outside" and "inside" window).
    - window can be opened/closed and locked/unlocked (like container lock; it makes open/close impossible)
    - it'd be impossible to attack through a window. Both from inside and outside. Other actions are just like for vehicles.
    - opening/closing window would produce public event for both "outside" and "inside" side of a window
    - windows currently will not be destroyable
    - window wouldn't be added to newly created building automatically, you'll have to build it
    - there would be two resources used for building windows: wood or iron
    - there will be visible information on Buildings&Vehicles page below building name if it has a window
    - there will be additional information on location page about window in that location
Sunni Daez

Postby Sunni Daez » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:46 pm

So you put a window in a building.. you build an inner room, say a kitchen. you do not put a window in this room... can you hear / see what is going on in the kitchen.. can you be in the kitchen and hear what is going on in the main part? If the window is locked, does that stop anything from being heard/seen?

Run...Dragon...Run!!!
EchoMan

Postby EchoMan » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:49 pm

The windows only work between the room you build it in and its parent location. A closed window is the same thing as no window at all.
Sunni Daez

Postby Sunni Daez » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:45 am

Thanks.. I was working around some brain hiccups

Run...Dragon...Run!!!

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”